Can This Business Keep A Promise?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
Maybe we should make them give us all promise rings this year so we know they mean it.
Maybe we should make them give us all promise rings this year so we know they mean it.
Every year, we go to E3 and listen to the hardware manufacturers as they spout off tons of numbers that spin the industry in their direction, marvel at trailers for games we probably won't see for two years, and leave feeling totally pumped yet somehow more cynical about the nature of the video game business.

Then, everyone just kind of collectively forgets that it ever happened and only retains extreme awesomeness (like that first Killzone 2 trailer) or extreme nonsense (like Kaz shouting Ridge Racer, Jeff Bell "keeping it real," or Ravi Drums being Ravi Drums).

That's why it's a good thing we have Stephen Totilo. He rewatched the press conferences from E3 2008 and figured out exactly what was promised over the course of the events. He's gone and broken them down into an easily digestible format that'll let you see what was promised, and how many of those promises have been kept or broken. Actually, some of them are still pending, too.

Definitely worth a read if you're trying to get caught up on things before this year's E3 kicks off. It's available in Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo flavors.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
Every year, we go to E3 and listen to the hardware manufacturers as they spout off tons of numbers that spin the industry in their direction, marvel at trailers for games we probably won't see for two years, and leave feeling totally pumped yet somehow more cynical about the nature of the video game business.

Then, everyone just kind of collectively forgets that it ever happened and only retains extreme awesomeness (like that first Killzone 2 trailer) or extreme nonsense (like Kaz shouting Ridge Racer, Jeff Bell "keeping it real," or Ravi Drums being Ravi Drums).

That's why it's a good thing we have Stephen Totilo. He rewatched the press conferences from E3 2008 and figured out exactly what was promised over the course of the events. He's gone and broken them down into an easily digestible format that'll let you see what was promised, and how many of those promises have been kept or broken. Actually, some of them are still pending, too.

Definitely worth a read if you're trying to get caught up on things before this year's E3 kicks off. It's available in Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo flavors.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

I miss Jeff Bell. He kept it real.

Zalanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zalanth

Looks like an interesting read.

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RawShark

Oh yeah, I read the Microsoft one of these. I was pretty impressed by how many of those promises came true, actually =/

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By AURON570

The first time I read the caption I thought it said, "Maybe we should make them send use promise rings, if you know what I mean." somehow it just looked that way. >.>

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

Nice find, Jeff. Thanks for posting!

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By Cerza

Cool find Jeff. I myself never hold any of the big three to their promises. Observing E3 over the years has taught me that it's more about concept and big ideas than actual practice. E3 is like a High School prep rally. Everyone comes together with their ideas and things and toots their horn while shouting "we're number 1! WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!"

JJRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By JJRage

Sony and Nintendo seemed to do a better job of keeping promises, but none of them were very risky to begin with. Microsoft on the other hand, seemed to take a few more leaps.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By RHCPfan24

Sounds interesting. I hope that the executives at each of the companies can keep track of their promises.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#11  Edited By JackiJinx

Nintendo needs to boosts it's grade if it expects to get into any decent college. I wasn't raised on no community college system!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
JackiJinx said:
Nintendo needs to boosts it's grade if it expects to get into any decent college. I wasn't raised on no ... [more]
Nintendo still has hope. Quite a bit of hope. I seem to recall this one C student who managed to get into an Ivy League school! Who was that....Bush, was it :P?
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JackiJinx
@Video_Game_King: That's because his father has/had stature.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
JackiJinx said:
@Video_Game_King: That's because his father has/had stature.
First off, that was a joke. Second, Nintendo also has a high standing and lots of money. Hell, did you know that Mario runs his own mafia :P?
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JackiJinx
@Video_Game_King: First off, I'm tired. Second of all, I'm falling alseep.
AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By AllanIceman

Great Reads

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By PJ

Was a bit easy on Sonys "PS3's 2008 Line-Up Has This" prediction since he only mentiond that The Agency didnt come in 2008 when the list had Ghostbusters, Resident Evil 5 and Killzone 2 on it aswell.

Awesome list though. Looks like MS promises more then the other but also bigger promisses. After reading MSs lis the Nintendo and Sony ones seemed pretty cowardly when it came to promisses. But i guess its better to say you will get gold but end up silver then promissing diamonds and end up whit silver.

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By slantedwindows

how cani take him seriously? THE GUY DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO PLAY STREET FIGHTER! 

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Absurd

I expected more lies

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jackel2072
EpicSteve said:
Word
MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By MeatSim

Large Corporations don't care if they break some promises unless it actually cost them money.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By JJWeatherman
EpicSteve said:
mad real...
dangerdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dangerdoom

Fallout DLC TBD

Howard: "We're going to be doing substantial downloadable content for Fallout 3 and it will be exclusive for the Xbox 360 and Games for Windows."

Verdict:FALSE! All five DLC packs will be available for 360/PC/PS3
muthachugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By muthachugga

I honestly don't know why people keep paying attention to Totilo.  I guess he is a good writer/journalist.  But come on.  The guy's douchebag levels are off the charts.  Any time I've seen Totilo on video or heard him on a podcast,  he talks as if he is smarter than everyone else.    Maybe he is, and we all just don't see it.  That's why he tries extra hard to show it.  I take all I said back.  It must be hard for Stephen to communicate with us peons.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#25  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Uh, did he call Lips awesome?

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ht101

Nice read.  Can't wait to see what this years conferences have in store for us.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xeiphyer

OH MAN!! I remember that!!

RIDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE RACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

*SILENCE*

Laughed my ass off for about 10 minutes. Favorite moment of E3 last year!

deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By deaux
@Xeiphyer:  That was '06, right?
deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deaux

It's pretty cool that they did that.  I sure as hell wouldn't re-watch those things.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Claude

Funny, the read goes Microsoft, Nintendo and then Sony. Jeff goes Microsoft, Sony and then Nintendo. The guy read like a PS3 hopeful. This caught my eye at the beginning of Nintendo.

Shaun White "Exclusive"

After demoing Shaun White Snowboarding with the help of Shaun White, Nintendo's executive vice president of sales and marketing, Cammie Dunaway, says: "All of you can have as much fun as I just had when this game arrives exclusively for Wii by year end."

Verdict: Hmmm. Yes, the version of Shaun White Snowboarding that you can play with the Wii Balance Board proved to be exclusive to the Nintendo Wii last fall, but there were Xbox 360 and PS3 versions later in '08 too, you know

Huh... an exclusive came later after it was exclusive. The best version from my information gathered was the Wii version. Not a good start.

FrumpyBiscuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FrumpyBiscuts

I could only get the microsoft link to actually take me to another website. The others just took me to a GB page that listed things the Sony Computer Entertainment America and Nintendo were in recently. When I clicked on Sony and Ninendo there it just took me back here. The Microsoft stuff was cool though.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Xeiphyer
@deaux: Oh man.. Was it 06? Hahaha.. =x I must be getting old.

I think this years E3 is going to be one of the best.

Was it 2007 maybe? That was the year when a ton of videogames that were awesome came out wasn't it? hard to keep track of all that, hopefully some sort of awesomeness comparison chart will be made after this years E3.
makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By makari

I hope the giant enemy crab makes a comeback this year.

Avatar image for sentientmoustache
SentientMoustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you dont have Stephen Totilo, kotaku does
you failed to mention that

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero

E3 09 needs the return of Ravi Drums. That's what I'm looking forward to at this E3. In fact, he should co-host Nintendo's press conference with Reggie.

TheTerrifyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheTerrifyer

very interesting read.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Oh, the memories...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Linkyshinks

An interesting read, hopefully all three will adhere closer to the claims they make.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some pretty extreme misinterpretations can be spotted. Marked down for saying the Zelda and Mario teams are working on stuff? Umm, they are (unless you believe they're all on extended and paid for vacation? they sure aren't credited in recent Nintendo games). He never said or implied the games would be out (or even shown) before the next E3 though. Plenty of titles have been in multiple E3s before they finally get released, and these games aren't even shown yet. How does a factual statemenent turn into a broken promise, I'll never figure that out. But with that kind of reaching, how about extra bonus points for delivering things they never promised (Excitebots came out of nowhere for one valid example) and also having that spectacular Nintendo Media Summit (for both the Wii and the DS) and the storage solution? What about snatching megaton franchises like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter, and unveiling Sin & Punishment 2 among other titles? Oh well, GREAT JOB, KOTAKU!

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Insectecutor

Reading through the verdicts on Kotaku it seems that you can trust what they say; in all conferences the majority of statements were accurate, with Totilo seemingly docking grades based on the boldness of the offerings rather than any lack of honesty.

You have to take what they say with a pinch of salt, but I'm not convinced they'd straight out lie to your face about anything worth caring about.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Death_Burnout

Heres to hoping that Ravi Drums makes a return...even though he wont.

I'm sorta annoyed that Jeff Bell is no longer at MS...also annoyed that J Allard has been missing!

I really miss E3 06...that Sony Conference is simply unforgetable...but im thinking last years Nintendo Conference is it's spiritual successor.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NickL

it looks like microsoft was pretty good with what they predicted, with a few exceptions, so i am excited to see what they come out with next

Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By Vance_Helsing

You know at the Oscars when a winner's speech is far too long and they have to play music to kick him/her off stage? Ravi Drums needs to be that musician for E3 2009.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Media_Master

E3!!!!!