Can we "canonize" any of the best games of 2006?

• 59 results
TheSilentGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 28

#51  Edited By TheSilentGod
No Caption Provided

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@zevvion said:

@notnert427: Saints Row was the first game to actually do GTA better than GTA though. That is worthy of mentioning. The only thing GTA had over Saints Row at that time was the vibe. But Saints Row was a better playing and more fun game in all other aspects.

In actual fact the case at the time was that there was no GTA available for next gen till 4 came out. I'm not sure it could be argued it was "doing GTA better than GTA" since there was no GTA available that wasn't a few years old. Saints Row wasn't exactly mind blowing on it's own, but it was the first to take advantage of the GTA gameplay with the new technology which really showcased the jump in physics etc - being practically a launch title it was a lot of "right place right time".

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@rowr: There was literally no game that played as well as GTA until Saints Row came out. It was the first clone that did it right. Open world games are viable now no matter the setting. But at that time it was GTA or nothing.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@zevvion said:

@rowr: There was literally no game that played as well as GTA until Saints Row came out. It was the first clone that did it right. Open world games are viable now no matter the setting. But at that time it was GTA or nothing.

I absolutely agree. I just wanted to say I don't necessarily think they were "doing it better than GTA" in the sense there wasn't any GTA out to actually draw a comparison, but I 100 percent know what you mean.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

While a lot of these games are very good, there are few that weren't quickly improved by sequels or just made obsolete by other games. Personally, I'd say Okami is certainly up there, and Guitar Hero II gets a nod for legitimizing that genre and still to this day being the best single-instrument version of those type of games. Bully, also, is a fantastic game that I still think holds up. And that soundtrack!!

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Gears of War, Okami, Bully, and Wii Sports

These games I feel went beyond just being games. Especially Wii Sports which is not just a gaming turning point but a cultural touchstone

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of disappointed that there might never be another attempt at making something like Okami.

The Zelda formula is fun, but Okami went beyond that.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hitman Blood Money and The longest journey are both stone cold classics, and I will fight anyone who says different.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

It warms my heart to see all the love for Hitman: Blood Money in this thread. The game got good, not great reviews at the time, so I thought I was one of few who loved the shit out of that game. I'm really glad to see it fondly remembered here.