#1 Edited by TerraMantis (283 posts) -

Sup Duders, you may have read my blog post from almost two years ago now (Jesus...) about Art. Gaming. Kindred Spirits? wherein I discussed the evolution of art -- specifically in the painted medium -- and how that evolution has similar characteristics to the visual transitions videogames have gone through over the years beginning with videogames' conception to modern day videogame aesthetics. In doing so, the question is asked "can we predict the future of videogame visual evolution?"

Well, this is pretty much the same idea, some words are even the exact same, but obviously two years have gone by and it's been updated a bit. Oh yeah, I also made it a video in place of good ol' text and still images. Enjoy! (hopefully)

BOOM... time for some intellectual videogame conversation and wild speculation.

#2 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

Haven't watched the video yet, but I think aside from the boring ultra realism we'll see a lot more progress towards interesting styles like painterly and cell shading. I mean I would love to play through a game that looks like A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

#3 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
  • Tire skids that never go away.
  • Grass that isn't mostly sprites.
  • Fully movable and dynamic earth and water.
  • Hair that doesn't look like bacon.
  • Bodies that don't disappear.
  • Better adaptive lighting and shading.
#4 Posted by Ostratego (39 posts) -

You're saying that this is not a plus???

C'mon, it looks like BACON!

Anyways, I'd really love to see more painterly art-styles, like in Okami, especially since GPUs have all the horsepower necessary, but it will probably be Modern Warfare-likes for the next ten years in the mainstream media.

With the fact that recent GPUs can do intense computation by themselves, I would like to see more procedurally-generated content. It's not an art style, per-say, but engineering is a form of art, right?

#5 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

Characters that can actually eat food. It will be a landmark day when that becomes consistent in gaming.

#6 Edited by donfonzie (206 posts) -

@bestusernameever said:

Hair looking like bacon? People trying to eat your hair? Try TressFX.

I just hope that we get to a point where we dont have to worry about computing power, frame rates and resources, and anything we can imagine, we can make. From ultra realistic to the weirdest shite ever, anything would be possible.

#7 Edited by Angouri (233 posts) -

GIANT INDIE PIXEL ART. Who's ready for those chunky 4K pixels? /s

I am really interested more in there being just more things on the screen. One of the things that really interest me in games is in how they fill an environment. The problem is that there is never "clutter." Crowds in games like Assassin's Xreed could be so much more interesting if they were more Sims and less SimCity. There is a bareness to urban environments that is really jarring and I hope they can address. Because I really don't need even higher resolution textures.

#8 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@bestusernameever said:

You're saying that this is not a plus???

C'mon, it looks like BACON!

Anyways, I'd really love to see more painterly art-styles, like in Okami, especially since GPUs have all the horsepower necessary, but it will probably be Modern Warfare-likes for the next ten years in the mainstream media.

With the fact that recent GPUs can do intense computation by themselves, I would like to see more procedurally-generated content. It's not an art style, per-say, but engineering is a form of art, right?

You do have a point there....

#9 Edited by TerraMantis (283 posts) -