Can you foresee a new console company any time soon?

• 73 results
Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dissolve
Sony did things right when making the jump to video games but Panasonic (aided by The 3DO Company) did not.

I guess breaking into the home console market is nearly impossible and some think we'll end up with the one console future (which has its pros and cons). But wouldn't it be fun to see some company like Samsung or Apple make a worthy effort and possibly bring something new to the home console market? I kind of miss the 80s and 90s when there were more companies making consoles than you could count on one hand.

Also what would you even call a new game console? Naming it has got to be the hardest part.

I'm picturing something like "the Samsung GameHub" or "the Apple iGame." Good Lord, those are lame. I fail.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

No new console companies, I see less in the future, in fact. Perhaps, one.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I could see apple having a stab at it in the next few years, but other than that, no.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dissolve

I'm all for the O.C.F., but who would make it? Sony/MS/Nintendo collab?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By lordofultima

Nintendo isn't a factor, I'm sure they'll continue to make money for eternity. But either Sony OR Microsoft, not both.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dissolve

Sony makes the hardware, Microsoft makes the software.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Dissolve said:
"I'm all for the O.C.F., but who would make it? Sony/MS/Nintendo collab?
"
Excuse my ignorance, but what is O.C.F.?
Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dissolve

ONE CONSOLE FUTURE

it's coming sooner than you think

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Ah, I am 100% against a one console future. It gets rid of any competition, meaning there is no strive to improve on the current console. And I doubt it'll ever happen. These large businesses will always want their finger in a pie worth as much as the video gaming industry.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By sarahsdad
One
Console
Future

As to that, depends what day it is wether I think that's a good idea or not.
Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dissolve

BUT

is not the competition between the game developers? Don't we want everyone to have a great game system, the SAME great game system, and simply have the devs fight for our money, rather than the console makers?
HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By HitNRun
Dissolve said:

is not the competition between the game developers? Don't we want everyone to have a great game system, the SAME great game system, and simply have the devs fight for our money, rather than the console makers?

Yes, but then that same great game system would cost $599 US Dollars, $599 US Dollars, $599 US Dollars, Giant Crab...Enemy Crab.....Based on Japanese History....

Sorry, got lost there. Yeah, the console price would be expensive and would never come down. That Sony and MS have to take losses to sell us their stuff is the bright side of capitalism.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yes game developers will always compete, but what about when new technologies come around and would improve the console, there will be no drive to implement it. Competition is a good thing for both consoles and games. It is needed. If we didn't have multiple consoles, would motion sensing controllers have come up in consoles? No. And who knows what technologies we'll miss out on if there is only one console

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dissolve

BUT for $599 US DOLLARS it would grill burgers. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By DualReaver

I foresee there never ever being another major one.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitNRun

If it grilled burgers, and not discs, I would be so in. We could have Sony fix Microsoft's heat-sink problem to redirect the heat to the lean, tender patties.

Truly, the future is now.

As to the OT, I think we could have seen a new console if MS didn't enter the market. Now the market's kind of full. What's it called, the Phantom tried to do whatever they were doing a few years back, and they couldn't get any investments at all because there's no room for them.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dissolve

Ha, I knew the Phantom would be brought up.

I was rather excited for that thing and loved the mouse-under-the-keyboard controller it had which, after Googling just now, I've learned you can BUY!

http://www.phantom.net/home.html

Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Damonation
MattyFTM said:
"Yes game developers will always compete, but what about when new technologies come around and would improve the console, there will be no drive to implement it. Competition is a good thing for both consoles and games. It is needed. If we didn't have multiple consoles, would motion sensing controllers have come up in consoles? No. And who knows what technologies we'll miss out on if there is only one console
"
I totally agree with you. This "One Console Future" that people foresee is not one I like. And I hate this whole, "Console War" fad going on. It implies that at some point there will be a loser and a victor and that the winner will be the only worthy console on the market. Plus, as much as you hate to admit it, it is kinda fun to see fanboys flaming for their console. I hope this war goes on forever and just gets more companies involved.
kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By kenzo287

i can't see a new one anytime soon but I wouldn't be too surprised if the Sith lords over at Activision Blizzard come out with a console and it sells because of Guitar Hero

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dissolve

Actibliz could make a dedicated WoW box.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Major
MattyFTM said:
"I could see apple having a stab at it in the next few years, but other than that, no.
"
With them pushing games for their OS and the iPhone... I doubt they'd even bother with consoles.
I don't really see a one console future being good.. Sure its good for my wallet but competition is a healthy thing.

plus, Sony and Microsoft are huuge companies and will support their independant consoles for a very, very, very long time.
HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitNRun
Damonation said:
And I hate this whole, "Console War" fad going on. It implies that at some point there will be a loser and a victor and that the winner will be the only worthy console on the market.
Yeah, the problem with the One Console Future is that unless the Archangel with the trumpet comes down right afterwards and says "alright guys, gg" there's always going to be another console. If the market can support 2, there'll be 2.
Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dissolve

ATi or Nvidia could make their own consoles and feature some kind of extremely simply way to upgrade your graphics card as time goes on. That could be cool.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Major
Dissolve said:
"ATi or Nvidia could make their own consoles and feature some kind of extremely simply way to upgrade your graphics card as time goes on. That could be cool.
"
How would that be any different than a PC?
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By xruntime

I would love to see 1 console. But when there's no competition, companies will not have any motivation to innovate.

I think we might see a new contender in the future, but nowhere anytime soon.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dissolve

PS3 and Xbox 360 didn't innovate crap and they're competitors.

I think the reasoning that companies won't innovate if there's no competition is crap.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dissolve

CRAP I SAY!

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By predator

After what happened to Gizmondo and Phantom, no new console companies in my opinion.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dissolve
Major said:
"Dissolve said:
"ATi or Nvidia could make their own consoles and feature some kind of extremely simply way to upgrade your graphics card as time goes on. That could be cool.
"
"
Because it's a closed box except for an easily swappable video card made just for the system. The card wouldn't be a regular card but rather a nice-looking, covered-in-plastic jobbie that is consumer friendly.
predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By predator
Dissolve said:
"Major said:
"Dissolve said:
"
"
Because it's a closed box except for an easily swappable video card made just for the system. The card wouldn't be a regular card but rather a nice-looking, covered-in-plastic jobbie that is consumer friendly.
"
What about bottlenecking?
Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dissolve
predator said:
"Dissolve said:
"Major said:
"Dissolve said:
"
"
"
What about bottlenecking?
"
Well, it's not a PC so games would be specifically designed for the console. So any card upgrade you get would have games specifically designed for it plus the original console's RAM and CPU.

OKAY THIS IS A BAD IDEA THERE I SAID IT
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
Major said:
"Dissolve said:
"
"
How are consoles any different from PC's?
Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dissolve

Well, one single set of specifications to design a game for and no chance of hardware upgrades (usually, except in the N64's case of the RAM upgrade).

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Shadow2K6

No unless one of the current companies exits (like how Sega left and Microsoft came in).  As far as the one console future I doubt that will ever happen since companies will always want a piece of the hardware pie and which is why consoles are not like PCs (as a business standpoint).

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By brukaoru
MattyFTM said:
"I could see apple having a stab at it in the next few years, but other than that, no."
I agree with this.
JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By JJGIANT

i bet starbucks will be a video game company, seeing the direction they're going!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb

Atari, I'll put money on it. Atari goes private, gains a new CEO, and Phil Harrison (who by and large built Sony to what it is today) is now working for the company. This wouldn't be happening if Atari didn't have something up its sleeve and considering the aforementioned changes I think it will be something big. A la a major franchise, or perhaps a new console.

Phil Harrison wouldn't jump ship from his lofty throne in Sony to the sinking ship of Atari if he didn't see anything big in the works. I am not sure how much Atari has acquired from investors as of now, but a few months back they had recieved upwards of $80 million in funding.

I have strong feeling that when Atari emerges again they will go public and present a very promising concept, such as a new console or franchise.

My 2c.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dissolve

Jaguar 2

you heard it here first
Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By Spencer

I would say that the risk and cost are too high for another company to even want to enter the console market.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Clean

I could see Apple going in competing with Microsoft. I mean their entering the portable console race so its only a  matter of time

Funployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Funployee
BiggerBomb said:
"Atari, I'll put money on it. Atari goes private, gains a new CEO, and Phil Harrison (who by and large built Sony to what it is today) is now working for the company. This wouldn't be happening if Atari didn't have something up its sleeve and considering the aforementioned changes I think it will be something big. A la a major franchise, or perhaps a new console.

Phil Harrison wouldn't jump ship from his lofty throne in Sony to the sinking ship of Atari if he didn't see anything big in the works. I am not sure how much Atari has acquired from investors as of now, but a few months back they had recieved upwards of $80 million in funding.

I have strong feeling that when Atari emerges again they will go public and present a very promising concept, such as a new console or franchise.

My 2c."

Atari just invested in Phil Harrison because they wanted to make sure someone knows what they are doing to run the company.  Also when it comes to a new console company, i think Apple might have already have done something similar with the iphone, and itouch.  I remember last time Apple tried to make a console it was an immense failure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandai_Pippin
Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hughes

Apple is eventually gonna make iCar's anyway so they might as well make a game console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next Xbox is coming out later, larger companies like EA already know about it.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By CharleyTony

there might be a one console future,, but more likely a one console agreement ...
2 or 3 companies agreeing to use the same base technology in their console to help out multiplatform developement and then they will find other ways to make their machine a little different ... to spice it up and not make em look like clones of each other ... and they will have some exclusive games ... all first party....

if a new company goes into gaming hardware it could almost only be Apple ... the kind of mass appeal the Wii has been getting is not unlike what Apple has going with the iPod ... competitors making something that couls be argued as a little better but doesnt gett the same buzz as the almighty Wii or iPod ...

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gunraidan
Personally I think that standardization is going to be the next route. Basically make games like DVD players. The only company I see going against this is Nintendo, but even then they'd be better off conforming as there would be no point in creating a console due to the lack of royalties from third parties.
Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Blu_Magic

I don't see any new companies in the near future.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Blu_Magic
Dissolve said:
"PS3 and Xbox 360 didn't innovate crap and they're competitors.

I think the reasoning that companies won't innovate if there's no competition is crap.
"
Well, competition led to Nintendo incorporating motion sensing in to their console.
Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By Aarny91
lordofultima said:
"No new console companies, I see less in the future, in fact. Perhaps, one.
"

Dun Dun Dunnnn
Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aarny said:
"lordofultima said:
"No new console companies, I see less in the future, in fact. Perhaps, one.
"

Dun Dun Dunnnn"

Errr, no; phail.
HeLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HeLives

The cost of entry is too high of a barrier to support another manufacturer entering the arena.  Not many companies to afford multiple years of  losses and still survive.  Furthermore, a new system will have to find developers willing to take a chance on them.  It faces the dilemna of innovating enough to differentiate itself from competitors but remain similar-enough to evoke a sense of familiarity. 

Perhaps the final reason no one else will enter the market is, us.  I'm tired of paying for a new system and I know I'm not the only one.  Heck I don't even have a PS3 but I really, really want one.  All of these costly systems in the marketplace leave a sour taste in my mouth.  One console future? No.  New entrants? No.  More of the same, Yes please!