• 73 results
#51 Posted by ConkerAndBerri2 (177 posts) -

Nah, EA or microsoft would buy them out.

#52 Posted by Dissolve (375 posts) -

I wonder if there'd be room for a new handheld device.

Okay, I got it: The Nokia Handfun

I'm going to stop posting forever.

#53 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

I could see EA creating their own console. They could dominate if they did, and kept EA games exclusive to their own console.

#54 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Sega Dreamcast 2 is coming, you just wait.

#55 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Hopefully not.

and a new console I could only expect from Apple.

#56 Posted by Yojimbo217 (31 posts) -

i think no one understands what exactly OCF means, its meant to have a variety  of consoles but you buy one game and it works on any of those consoles, thats what it means, it works like a cell phone,you can have an iphone and i have a Black Berry , they do different things but we can still call each other

#57 Posted by Dissolve (375 posts) -
Yojimbo217 said:
"i think no one understands what exactly OCF means, its meant to have a variety  of consoles but you buy one game and it works on any of those consoles, thats what it means, it works like a cell phone,you can have an iphone and i have a Black Berry , they do different things but we can still call each other
"
But all those consoles have one single set of specifications for game play. So the only competition between them would be extra, non-gaming features.
#58 Posted by Wafe (57 posts) -

What about Samsung they are the largest consumer electronics company in the world.  I could see them talking over for sony or microsoft.

#59 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

Apple will probably make one.

#60 Posted by Yojimbo217 (31 posts) -
Dissolve said:
"Yojimbo217 said:
"i think no one understands what exactly OCF means, its meant to have a variety  of consoles but you buy one game and it works on any of those consoles, thats what it means, it works like a cell phone,you can have an iphone and i have a Black Berry , they do different things but we can still call each other
"
But all those consoles have one single set of specifications for game play. So the only competition between them would be extra, non-gaming features.
"
Thats Exactly what im saying and i too am for OCF. I think this would be good for the industry because the focus will Shift to the games rather then the consoles.
#61 Posted by Dissolve (375 posts) -
Yojimbo217 said:
"Dissolve said:
"Yojimbo217 said:
"
"
Thats Exactly what im saying and i too am for OCF. I think this would be good for the industry because the focus will Shift to the games rather then the consoles.
"
Ha, yeah, after I posted that I noticed I just said what you said.

I'm for the OCF all the way but everyone and their "OH THERE'S NO COMPETITION SO THEY WON'T INNOVATE" is keeping us down. I'm not buying that excuse though.
#62 Posted by IxRyanRitterxI (127 posts) -

The Apple iGame

#63 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Never going to happen, Steve Jobs couldn't give a shit less about gaming at the moment.

#64 Posted by somesthetic (191 posts) -

There will be, but maybe not soon.

There will never be a one console future, companies make too much on the licensing fees from companies to give that up.

who could have foreseen the Nintendo Entertainment System in the Atari age? or the Sony Playstation in the Genesis/Super Nintendo age? you see where I'm going with this. even when it looks impossible for a new company to break into the industry, it can and has happened, a number of times.

Videogames are only becoming more popular as time goes by, more gamers, more people to sell games to, more of an enticement for companies to get in on that sweet sweet licensing fee money.

#65 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

I can see some overly rich, Chinese or Indian company making one.

#66 Posted by Cowman (676 posts) -
Dissolve said:
"

ONE CONSOLE FUTURE

it's coming sooner than you think

"
They've been saying that since the ColecoVision.
#67 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

I don't think there'll be another console company in the future because it's so hard to get a new console from a new player into peoples homes.  Also with the current economy climate I don't think any company would risk such a big venture.

A one console future would be bad seriously bad, no competition and no innovation.

#68 Posted by DavidPalmer (343 posts) -

I seriously doubt it, but if it was anyone I would plan on Apple getting into it. Maybe into the portable gaming market. I don't know though because it doesn't really seem to be something they want to go after.

#69 Edited by xxNBxx (982 posts) -

To get into the console biz you need a HUGE bank of money, and you have to not be affaid to loss some of it.  Look at what MS did with Xbox.  They didn't start making money back for a long time.  Personal i don't see anyone getting into the home consol market right now, that is unless Blizzard feels the need to use some of the 3 billion they have gotten from WoW.   

O and about a One Consol Future,  It will never happen.  Is there only one brand of car, or one company that makes TVs?   The cell phone is a bad example cause you can't use the same phone with every provider.  The closest thing you have to a all powerfull consol that plays every game is a PC.

The wii is a console don't try to brush it off just cause it doesn't have games for the core gamer,  Its the system for ppl that don't know much about video games, but its still a gaming system.

#70 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -

Anyone trying to enter the console race now with less than a bajilloion dollars  would be downright crazy.

#71 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Yeah... imagine if Apple, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo teamed up to make a game console... Wouldn't that be effeing epic and amazing? O_O'

Many options would need to be in place though lol.

#72 Posted by DavidPalmer (343 posts) -

I don't know if that would be awesome. Competition drives innovation and in a one-console future, I think  you're missing that.

#73 Posted by VaultBoy (194 posts) -
Dissolve said:
"PS3 and Xbox 360 didn't innovate crap and they're competitors.

I think the reasoning that companies won't innovate if there's no competition is crap."
Shouldn't you be looking at what the company Microsoft and Sony have done for console gaming?  Microsoft brought online gaming to the console market.  Sure, there was the odd game here and there that could go online and usually required something ridiculous like purchasing a modem for your console, but the level of online service the XBox and the 360 bring is unparalleled.  In fact the execution and popularity of this concept, new to consoles, was so huge that Sony is still trying to catch up by mimicking Live.

In addition, the harddrive aspect of the XBox was another innovation for consoles.  Prior to that we were stuck with buying memory cards to hold our game files.  In addition, downloadable content was unthinkable.  Do you really think Sony or Nintendo would've even thought to add internal memory (Why didn't Wii have a HDD, why?) this generation if Microsoft hadn't redefined what should be inside a console?

Sony, on the other hand, has been pushing the multimedia aspect of consoles since the PS1.  They started with playing CDs and have moved to BR-DVDs.  Sure, it doesn't do a whole lot to improve the gaming aspect of the consoles, but you need only look at the PS3 to see their agenda with the PlayStation isn't solely about gaming.

Sure, you could argue that PCs have been doing every one of these things long before consoles.  But, I think that's missing the point.  These ideas were completely new to the console market and have changed the design of all future consoles.  If you bring PCs into the mix, then consoles have done very little (if anything) innovative.  Because, consoles have always been a stripped down PCs dedicated to gaming.

I just really can't believe you can't see how competition has made the console market what it is today.  If Microsoft hadn't entered the console wars, I think the PS3 would've been very similar to a PS2 with a BR-DVD drive.  Yeah, there'd be an upgrade in CPU and graphics, but not nearly as high-end as what they put in there.  In addition, a HDD and online capability wouldn't have been standard.