• 72 results
#1 Posted by householddutch (44 posts) -

I can't. Gigantic chicken, need to grow a pair, I know.

I love the horror genre, and an evening watching a scary movie, abusing my husband's arm is a fine way to pass a slow night. Or, watching him play through Dead Space 1 & 2. It's spooky business, but enjoyable all the same. But I can't do horror games. I think this was brought up on a bombcast, but something about you being the one who has to walk down that dark hall, or turn that corner just crosses that line. I watched a bit of Slender gameplay tonight (thanks to Mr. Klepek's lastest article) in the dark, with headphones on and my cat gave my leg a head-butt in the middle of it. Maaaan. I can't even watch someone else be freaked out without freaking out.

Anyway, what are some of your most memorable game scare moments? Or which game made you throw down the controller or escape to the desktop with a "fuck no."?

#2 Posted by Tesla (1919 posts) -

For me, there are two ways to play scary games:

At night, by yourself with headphones is one way. I really have to be in a certain mood for that. The other way to go is having some buffer between you and the scary. Like someone else in the room watching, or playing during the day and/or with a few beers in me.

My fondest horror game memory is the licker through the mirror in RE2. Me and a group of friends all shitting our pants in unison. Good times.

#3 Posted by YOUNGLINK (546 posts) -

Yea, no game really gives me the creeps. With the exception of DayZ and that's just because I'm afraid of the permadeath.

#4 Posted by Cramsy (1166 posts) -

Barely. But it's awesome when I get going. Really worth pushing by the 'fuck this is so fucking scary' barrier to enjoy a genre that you haven't really touched before

#5 Posted by wemibelec90 (1631 posts) -

It unnerves me because I hate being jump-scared. It's extremely annoying. I can finish most scary games though because once you figure out the "trick", it's usually easy to avoid being jump-scared.

#6 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

Not really. The "scariest" game I've beaten is RE4 and that's not even scary.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6426 posts) -

It's my favorite kind of game. It's a shame that there's so few of them that go beyond jump scares. Jumps are fine, but there needs to be a finesse to them, and good buildup beforehand. I think the rule that most horror games (and movies) break is: Don't draw attention to the scare. Let the player stumble across it on their own. A subtle face in a window that you may or may not see as you go by is much more terrifying than "suddenly, monster and loud noise!".

... Sorry, went a little off the rails there, but I've been thinking about horror a lot lately. For a genre called "horror", good scares are surprisingly slim pickings.

#8 Posted by MEATBALL (3198 posts) -

Not the legitimately really scary ones. I only lasted 15 minutes in Amnesia. Dead Space and Resident Evil are okay. I have Project Zero 2 Wii Edition waiting to be played but I'm kind of scared to start it up.

#9 Edited by Chop (1996 posts) -

Yes, because I'm not a child. Sorry, that was dickish.

But seriously, horror games and movies haven't bothered me for a looooooonggggg time.

#10 Posted by Iron_Tool (220 posts) -

yes

#11 Edited by Draxyle (1835 posts) -

I love and hate them. It's only a couple years ago that I started getting into them with Silent Hill (Resident Evil hardly counts). I never watched horror movies or anything of the sort, but I felt obligated to at least give Silent Hill a try for artistic curiosity.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 really made me see the brilliance in horror. It is the absolute perfect genre for videogames; where the interactivity creates a wholly unique experience that only videogames can provide. I replayed that game so many times, which is something I rarely do with games nowadays.

Then Amnesia came along, probably one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had in gaming; took me weeks of half-hour chunks to force myself through. But when I say miserable, I mean that in the most positive sense (what?). It was so good that I think it might have almost killed my ability to go into horror again, just from the fear of it.

#12 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

I thought Fatal Frame did a good job of being scary and both games in the Condemned series created great atmospheres of fear. However I hardly ever get afraid in games.

#13 Posted by householddutch (44 posts) -

@ShaggE:

Yep, agreed. Well, for movies, anyhow. The Woman in Black and The House of the Devil were excellent. Lots of tension build up, always waiting for the release/pay off and never quite getting it. I wonder if half the reason Amnesia is so scary is because that's the kind of game it is; I hear this game is going to be freaking horrifying, so I'm always waiting, tensed for the scary monster. It would be interesting to have someone oblivious to its reputation have a go at it. Doom 3 scared me, but that game seems to be mostly jump scares and the atmosphere is in service of that, "suddenly, monster and loud noise!" (I gave up on that game too).

I want a game where you feel like the main character in a horror movie: it aint no thang to go down this dark corridor by myself with this flashlight, because ghosts don't exist. And then once in a while you catch an odd reflection or find a weird recording and your unease increases a little bit each time and your heart does that awful *thump*, instead of a game that tells me I'm going insane based on swimmy graphics (which I get is a type of health meter, but kinda like YOUNGLINK said, death is scary so that works too). I guess what I'm getting at is that the game is telling me I should be scared, so I am.

Going off the rails indeed, my alcohol-based fear buffer is working against me.

#14 Posted by ShaggE (6426 posts) -

@householddutch: That description makes me want a "hidden horror" game more than ever. That is, a horror game that isn't marketed as such, and works as a non-horror game, but leaves people inexplicably scared and unsettled. It would be the hardest thing ever to pull off, especially in the age of the internet where secrets get blown open within minutes, but it would revolutionize the genre across both games and film if somebody could actually do it.

#15 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

Nope, they are not for me. Playing through a large portion of Silent Hill 3 back in the day showed me that I really don't like that type of tension.

#16 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

There was a few points in Dead Space and Dead Space 2 where I would not advance for a while because I couldn't handle the tension.

#17 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I've always had zero problems playing them, I must admit Amnesia is testing my nerves though.

#18 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

Just played Slender. The game did nothing for me. Then again, I have never found any video game to be scary. Its just pixels.

#19 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

I've never had any game really scare me, Amnesia or otherwise. The same goes for movies; my mind doesn't seem to jump at something on a screen, or something it knows is fake.

I enjoy them all the same, but not because I'm panicked by them.

#20 Posted by Draugen (640 posts) -

Games that rely on jump scares, no problem...

Games that get under your skin, no chance...

#21 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

Actually scary games like Amnesia? No. Action "horror" games like Dead Space 2? Yes.

I watched a playthrough of Amnesia on Youtube and that was more fun than scary. It's all about being in control. I get scared to go around corners and my instant reaction is just to quit. I guess I'd need some kind of willingness to prove myself or something, but I'm a quitter. So there is just no enjoyment to be had. I'm not really into being scared anyway. It's not a feeling I enjoy, but when it's passive I can deal with it easily and maybe enjoy some other elements of it.

#22 Posted by mrfizzy (1528 posts) -

Nope, never have been able to. Have always hated horror movies too.

#23 Posted by cheezfang (11 posts) -

Games generally don't scare me but it's not because I feel like "it's just a video game." It's because many of them don't seem to be very good at creating fear and tension. I usually will get immersed in a game deep enough to forget that it's just a game and lose myself in what's going on, and with horror games I take the extra step to do that by playing with the lights out, etc, but even if I do that, most of the horror games haven't done much to scare me. Amnesia is the only one where I ever found myself needing to take a break after about 45 minutes because I was getting too creeped out (Silent Hill 2 is also one where I found myself needing to take a break like that, but that wasn't because of getting scared as much it was the game's atmosphere at timeswas so filled with dread and relentlessly oppressive that I just needed to collect myself and come back to a happier place for a little bit).

A post above points out games that rely on jump scares vs. games that get under your skin... I guess I kind of agree with that two. I just played a couple of them over the past couple of weeks that are a good example -- Slender and Dead Space 2. Slender worked for me because I felt it did a good job of putting me in a creepy environment and then building tension that resulted a couple times in a good chilling scare. Dead Space 2 on the other hand failed 100 percent in scaring me because it relied a lot on cheap scares and cliched tactics that horror vets have seen over and over again (it probably also didn't help that I kind of hated Dead Space 2 and spent much of the game getting pissed at it... kind of hard to get immersed in something enough to get scared if you don't like it).

#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Usually not, only horror game I ever finished was Resident Evil 4.
I stopped Resi 1 and Resi Zero after like 20 minutes.

I'm scared by Arkham Asylum's Scarecrow's bits however, I hate scares.

#25 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

I can, but there are so few of them. I can't play games on my PC (old) and to my knowledge there aren't any good ones for consoles (X360 or PS3). Games like Dead Space and Resident Evil don't scare me the slightest. And with Dead Space going even further with the whole "we want to be an action game!"-thing, I can't think of any games that would actually scare me.

#26 Edited by cclemon36 (180 posts) -

Be it daytime, nighttime, drunk or sober, I can't. Except when I'm playing with friends or someone else who's engaged in the game with me. I had a blast playing a horror mod for Half-Life 2 back in the day with a friend of mine, but forget about playing Amnesia alone, or even Dead Space. I love horror movies, though, and have no problem watching them.

#27 Posted by stryker1121 (1406 posts) -

I hate jump scares but I'll muscle through for good games like Dead Space. It's just that I'll play for maybe an hour tops and that'll be it for the day. I just started Amnesia and am going through it very slowly, playing for 30 minutes at a time. I actually enjoy the horror genre quite a bit (especially horror novels) but i'm no Mr. Manly Man when it comes to dealing w/ the tension.

#28 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

I thought the majority of gamers actually love those. Like me. Scary games usually have great story and make you feel one with your character. Then again they're not really scary for me.

#29 Posted by mak_wikus (516 posts) -

I got Amnesia with the last Indie Bundle. Played maybe 20 minutes of it in two sittings. Uninstalled two days later. I can't I just can't.

#30 Posted by falserelic (5413 posts) -

@householddutch said:

I love the horror genre, and an evening watching a scary movie, abusing my husband's arm is a fine way to pass a slow night. Or, watching him play through Dead Space 1 & 2. It's spooky business, but enjoyable all the same. But I can't do horror games. I think this was brought up on a bombcast, but something about you being the one who has to walk down that dark hall, or turn that corner just crosses that line. I watched a bit of Slender gameplay tonight (thanks to Mr. Klepek's lastest article) in the dark, with headphones on and my cat gave my leg a head-butt in the middle of it. Maaaan. I can't even watch someone else be freaked out without freaking out.

Anyway, what are some of your most memorable game scare moments? Or which game made you throw down the controller or escape to the desktop with a "fuck no."?

I am a survival-horror fan I love horror games. I use to be afraid to play them when I was a kid. But the game that broke my fear was playing Resident Evil Survivor. It was such a thrill ride that I wanted more of it. So I started playing other horror games. The more I played the more harder it was to scare me. The horror game I'm currently playing is doom 3. The game gets me at times with the jumps scares. But for most part I'm able to handle myself from being creeped out.

The games that has some of the most memorable scare moments for me. Is Silent Hill 1 and 2 both has some intense scares. I remember in silent hill 2 walking down a dark hall seeing pyramid head staring at me at the end of it, and the time I see pyramid head rape that demon in the kitchen. I could never forget those moments.

#31 Posted by strangemodule (42 posts) -

Despite not actually playing any Horror games for most of my life, I find that I can play them in small bursts. Perhaps having played said games while streaming them to my friends helped.

However, that one Slenderman game that recently came out...I don't think I will be able to, even if I had my friends watching. I already have trouble sleeping due to Marble Hornets.

#32 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

I just don't see the fun in getting scared. Doesn't seem all that pleasurable.

#33 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

I don't really scare too easily, I think Penumbra/Amnesia are the ones that freaked me out the most, while resident evil or silent hill didn't really do much for scaring me. But I don't really enjoy being afraid, so being able to play most games anyway is working out pretty well.

Fuck Amnesia though, the entire point of everything in that game is scaring me. The world isn't even interesting.

#34 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

The only game I've ever turned off because it makes me freak out is Amnesia.

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8156 posts) -

Nope, I have an overactive imagination bordering on delusion that can take over my life if I'm exposed to something intense or frightening. It doesn't even have to be convincing, my mind automatically fills in the blanks to make it real. These images tend to follow me for weeks at least, with a number of the more vivid ones from my childhood still resurfacing even now.

Every once in a while I get twitchy when walking by a window in the dark.

#36 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

Yes, I love survival horror and just horror in general. Most of the time though I have to play them in chunks if they keep me unsettled.

#37 Posted by Owlright (117 posts) -

Considering how much horror movies scare me (I still love 'em though), I always expect to be too frightened to ever finish a scary game, but for the most part I really don't find horror games all that scary (being startled by a jump scare notwithstanding, because being startled and being scared aren't the same in my opinion)

#38 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

@mak_wikus said:

I got Amnesia with the last Indie Bundle. Played maybe 20 minutes of it in two sittings. Uninstalled two days later. I can't I just can't.

I contemplate getting Amnesia every time it's on sale, but I know this is how it'll go down for me as well.

#39 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (330 posts) -

I get scared pretty easily but I still enjoy playing creepy games.

#40 Edited by Jolt92 (1551 posts) -

No, I'm too easily scared!

#41 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I generally can't but for some odd reason I was able to play and complete Silent Hill 1 and 4. Been meaning to eventually get Downpour but I'm in no rush.

I got Amnesia from the humble bundle deal, loaded it up, took 5 steps in the game and closed it. I think playing in first person view is horrifying..

#42 Posted by Ben_H (3344 posts) -

I can usually handle anything but Amnesia. I've never played Amnesia but I watched a playthrough of it and it still scared me a couple times. That game is messed up. 

I actually kinda like games with creepy atmospheres. STALKER games do an amazing job of that. You can just be walking and feeling fine when you can stumble upon something that just gives you a weird feeling. For me, in CoP, walking up to the sawmill for the first time messed with me, I thought the people there were regular stalkers, but they weren't. 

The only game that has legitimately scared me to the point of not being able to sleep was The Suffering. I started playing it with my brother and he didn't tell me what it was about. I was only in like 5th grade so it really scared me. Which is weird because I watched him play through Doom 3 and that did nothing to scare me.

#43 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Yep. They are really tense and some games like Amnesia are really hard to get through because no one wants to go around that next corner because HEY THE PIANO IS PLAYING ITSELF IN THE ROOM I WAS JUST IN OH FUCK HELP. But I love that feeling.

#44 Edited by NTM (7344 posts) -

Why did I know the first words coming on here was going to be "I can't"? Also, yes, "scary" games are fun. I think anyone that plays games, even if they're not into the horror genre needs to experience a scary game.

#45 Posted by Atta (135 posts) -

@householddutch said:

i can't. i did the same thing while my girlfriend was playing fatal frame and resident evil stuff. sometimes i'm even freaked out in oblivion dungeons and fallout is just all wrong (super mutants anyone?)

on a side note: which slender playthrough are you watching. I'd want to try that. was it this one by chance? --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7PoB2Ovsxs

thanks!

#46 Posted by householddutch (44 posts) -

@ShaggE: Exactly, right? As amazing and effective as some horror games and movies are, the player is still being bludgeoned over the head with the horror. I still can't play them (it's daylight, so I'm gonna have another run at Slender because I hate myself), and the people who do totally know what they're getting into because its a horror game, after all.

Imagine a game where you have no fear of going around the corner or investigating a dark cellar because it isn't that kind of game (so you're pretty much that dumb teen from horror movie X, fearless but stupid), and no monsters pop out or cats go streaking from the crates you were investigating. But once in a while you think for a second you see the Slenderman's shadow, but realize its just some tree branches waving in the wind, casting a shadow on the floor from the street lamp outside. Or catch your reflection in the mirror and see him standing behind you, but its just the stupid mannequin you passed on your way into the room. Little things that slowly pick at you, without musical cues. Things that are totally explainable, and you don't expect them because after all, it isn't that kind of game. It would be like an otherwise normal song with just a tiny bit of dissonance at random. Just slightly off, and you swear you heard it but you can't reproduce it (gettin all poetic n shit.). I want an unnerving game like that!

#47 Posted by Slag (4262 posts) -

I can, because games don't scare me some reason, I guess I'm always conscious of that it's just a game, but I don't generally like Horror games. Perhaps because they don't scare me and as a result I find the mechanics/controls annoying.

Eternal Darkness was a pretty awesome game though

#48 Posted by householddutch (44 posts) -

@Atta said:

@householddutch said:

i can't. i did the same thing while my girlfriend was playing fatal frame and resident evil stuff. sometimes i'm even freaked out in oblivion dungeons and fallout is just all wrong (super mutants anyone?)

on a side note: which slender playthrough are you watching. I'd want to try that. was it this one by chance? --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7PoB2Ovsxs

thanks!

Yeah, I also got totally spooked by some of the Oblivion dungeons. Ever play the Thief series (huge fan, here)? The zombies in that series SUCK. The third game cut down on their numbers, but there was this one really effective level where you're on this zombie infected boat and it's really hard to peak around the narrow corridors and find them, but dammit you can hear them. And the infamous Cradle level (an "abandoned" insane asylum) where the zombie monsters cause the lights to flicker when they're near. And they can open the freakin doors, hence the sucking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJF8JqRXBg&feature=related was the video I watched, but it was the only one I saw. The guy dies five pages in, because he gets freaked out and starts running around in a panic :D.

#49 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

I hate knowing that a game is going to make me jump. Its what Ryan says, having to walk forward myself makes me want to stop walking forwards do something less terrifying. The anticipation is the worst part.

The Half Life 2 episodes and Alan Wake are the two scariest games I managed to play all the way through wearing headphones. Playing Alan Wake I opened a cabin door, a crow flew out and made me jump, at which point I involuntarily fired my gun which in turn made me jump once again.

Day Z has been slowly driving me insane. When I'm sneaking about or tracking another player I will sometime realise I haven't been breathing for too long. The thumping of my heart can sometimes be quite alarming. I even feel myself tense up when I click on the launcher. I'm not sure why I go back to it considering how much of a coward I am.

#50 Posted by DukesT3 (1910 posts) -

You should play them in the day time if your having troubles but I do agree with patrick/ryan when they were talking about horror games. Its up to YOU to keep walking down that dark shitty corridor and that could be pretty intense, then again I love horror and love that feeling of dread and fear. Just love being scared... I'm probably weird for that.