#1 Edited by Alekss (327 posts) -

I only really got into gaming this gen so I missed on a lot of last gen stuff. I did have a a PS2, so I played a decent amount of games there (although not as many as I would have liked) but I missed alot of PC games. So I want to make up for it now. I also bought a gamecube, so I want some advice for games to play there too.

This is the list of what I have/want to buy until now:

Soul Reaver 2

Clive Barker's Undying

Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1 game. I played a ton of PS1 games on my PS3 so I don't want any for this platform. Spyro 3 is one of the games I missed).

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Blood Omen 2

Resident Evil Remake (gamecube)

Resident Evil 0 (gamecube)

Soul Calibur 2 (gamecube)

Splinter Cell

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords

Pathologic

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Note: Games like Half Life, Halo, Far Cry and RTCW I already played, this is why i didn't mention them. Basically big games from 2004-2005 I played, but the years before not so much.

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

System Shock 2, which just came to Steam.
Diablo II

#3 Edited by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

Killer 7 (GameCube)

Eternal Darkness (GameCube)

Planescape Torment (PC)

Grim Fandango (PC)

...are the first ones which would come to my mind regarding the given time frame and systems.

#4 Edited by Ezakael (911 posts) -

Can't go wrong with Metroid Prime on the Gamecube.

#5 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#6 Posted by BisonHero (6149 posts) -
  • Deus Ex
  • Morrowind, though the graphics are hard to go back to after Oblivion and Skyrim
  • Half-Life 2
  • Metroid Prime
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (have you played any previous Zeldas? If not, this is a fine entry point, as really any game in the series explains its premise, and there is almost no meaningful continuity)
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Pikmin (I vastly prefer the first game over the second)
  • Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
  • Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • Killer7

OK, at a certain point in this list I got lazy and just skimmed Metacritic, and these are basically the top Gamecube games from there that I agree are pretty much the greatest.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11627 posts) -

I bought Spyro 3 for my PSP and played some there and on my brother's PS3. It's a fine game, but it's just really meh to me now. Maybe play it out of curiosity, but I would suggest not making it a priority.

In the meantime:

Gamecube

• Metroid Prime (Unmissable, by most accounts that you can find. One of the best games ever made)
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Maybe Baten Kaitos? I didn't actually get to play them but I have heard good things about the series.

PS2

• The first three Jak games (X is a good spinoff, Lost Frontier is OK) (there's a PS3 version of the first three)
  • The first three PS2 Ratchet and Clank games (Again, Deadlocked is a good spinoff; Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank are just OK) (again, PS3 versions of the first three)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
  • Shadow of the Colossus (available on PS3)
  • God of War (Also has a PS3 version)
  • Final Fantasy X and XII

PC

• Deus Ex
  • System Shock 2
  • Doom 3
  • Far Cry
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • FEAR
  • Painkiller
  • Half-Life 2

There's far more for all three but for some reason I can't think of them right now. All of those were released between 1999 and 2005, though, so enjoy!

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11687 posts) -

Came here to say exactly this :D

#9 Posted by HolyCrapItsAdam (448 posts) -

RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive

#10 Posted by bigjeffrey (4768 posts) -

Half Life, Halo, Far Cry and RTCW

#11 Edited by medacris (642 posts) -
  • Psychonauts
  • Sly Cooper series
  • The original Luigi's Mansion
#12 Edited by joshwent (2105 posts) -

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. Awesome campaign if you like that kinda thing.

And ABSOLUTELY Morrowind. An actual RPG where you have to think, instead of the more recent Elder Scrolls games, which are awesome but much more about straight up exploring and killing stuff then problem solving and character interaction. Graphics are (adorably) rough, but modders also just came out with an amazing patch that runs Morrowind through Oblivion's engine. Looks fantastic.

#13 Posted by mlarrabee (2885 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Diablo II

Do you have any advice for Diablo 2? I bought it a couple of years ago and am trying to get into it, but so far I'm spending all of my time fighting my incredibly small inventory. Kill sixteen monsters, pick up loot, spend five minutes running and teleporting to town, sell all, return to area, repeat.

The only results for "beginners' guide to Diablo 2" are character builds, not tips on how the game is meant to be played.

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

@ajamafalous said:

Diablo II

Do you have any advice for Diablo 2? I bought it a couple of years ago and am trying to get into it, but so far I'm spending all of my time fighting my incredibly small inventory. Kill sixteen monsters, pick up loot, spend five minutes running and teleporting to town, sell all, return to area, repeat.

The only results for "beginners' guide to Diablo 2" are character builds, not tips on how the game is meant to be played.

• Never pick up white loot past level 5-10 because a blue/yellow/green/gold/orange is always going to be significantly better. That should cut down pretty heavily on time already.
  • Have you rescued Deckard Cain yet? If so, he can identify all of your items at once by talking to him, which will save you a ton of time.
  • Always carry a Tome of Town Portal and try to keep it full. This will make tping back to town to sell items a 15-45 second affair.
  • Generally speaking, the order of the item heirarchy is as I listed above, but it could be different depending on the level of the items. As you play more you'll eventually get a feel for what items have the potential to be good and worth picking up and what item aren't. Eventually you'll be skipping all blues as well as whites, only picking up yellows and up

Those are probably the most low-level general beginner tips I can give. If you've got any more questions about anything specific (or even just an area, like "Druid skill builds" or something), feel free to ask and I'll be glad to answer.

#16 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5206 posts) -
  • ICO
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Knight's of the Old Republic 1 and 2
  • The Legend of Zelda Windwaker
  • Silent Hill 2 and 3
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
  • There was a fair amount of the Pokemon games that came out between 1999 and 2005. If you like that kind of game, I recommend Crystal, Fire Red/ Leaf Green and Emerald.
  • Devil May Cry 1 and 3
#17 Posted by mlarrabee (2885 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Much appreciated! I guess my problem was really just not knowing the value or scarcity of gold so I was spending all of my time picking up every, little, usually useless item to sell it. It didn't help that I started D2 right after finishing Torchlight 2 so judicial item collection was the antithesis of what I was expecting to do! Again, thanks!

#18 Posted by ryvythed (27 posts) -

RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive

Yup

I'd add Steambot Chronicles and Drakan: The Ancient’s Gates also for the PS2.

#19 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -
#20 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

@ajamafalous: Much appreciated! I guess my problem was really just not knowing the value or scarcity of gold so I was spending all of my time picking up every, little, usually useless item to sell it. It didn't help that I started D2 right after finishing Torchlight 2 so judicial item collection was the antithesis of what I was expecting to do! Again, thanks!

Are you playing online or just by yourself? Gold is pretty much worthless online because all trading happens item for item, but if you're playing by yourself, gold can be useful to try to get good items from the gambling NPCs, or even to buy upgrades from the regular vendors, though the items they sell are usually significantly overpriced and not very good.

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18904 posts) -

If you can get a Game Boy Player for you Gamecube, play the GBA Pokemon Versions like Emerald and FireRed. Might be kinda pricey so that may be out of the picture.

#22 Posted by casper_ (901 posts) -

Freespace 2. maybe someone already said it but this and Tie Fighter are probably the best space sims ever made

#23 Edited by pyromagnestir (4236 posts) -

Some I've yet to see mentioned:

• Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
  • Rome Total War
  • Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
  • Jade Empire

A couple I myself have yet to play, but intend to play one day:

• The Thing
  • the No One Lives Forever games