metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By metalmoog

Hello fellow Giant Bombers,

Recently I built a gaming pc and have been looking for some "must haves" for the PC. These games don't have to be brand new, or current gen. I'm mainly looking for some unique types of gaming experiences.

I've played Skyrim, CoD, Uncharted, Gears of War, Halo, Starcraft II, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, WoW and all types of different mainstream games and am finding my attention span has become severely lacking as of late. I cannot handle repetitive grindfest type games anymore, so pretty much all MMO's are out. Any games where I'm running around fulfilling quests for XP and performing menial tasks, without much context and story I don't care for any longer.

Basically to sum it up, I'm looking for unique gaming experiences that are story driven, have quality characters and writing and will keep me wanting to push forward. Recently I played The Witcher 2 and thought it was a fantastic game with a really interesting universe and it hooked me.

Thank you for any recommendations you can give!

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PizzaSauce

Good call with the Witcher 2, I absolutely love that game, Vinny had me very close to reading the novels which I still plan on doing at some point hopefully.

If you haven't already played Amnesia i'd recommend that, it's got a pretty unique concept and is horrifically terrifying. Another one I enjoyed although a bit more mainstream and can be a bit repetitive is Sleeping Dogs, looks great on the PC too. Portal too, although I fear you have probably played all of the games I've just mentioned!

As an outside chance, Longest Journey is old and won't show off your PC, but god darn that game is brilliant

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

Hotline Miami seems like a pretty big change of pace from the kinds of games you've been playing.

Check out Dark Souls if you were into the deliberate combat style of TW2.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

Minecraft is very unique.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

The Void is as unique as you can get, go try that if you are interested in arty games/okami

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

Planescape: Torment sounds like the game you are looking for.

The Witcher is probably worth playing if you liked the second one, they are very different games so don't expect more of the same other than the story.

I haven't played Alpha Protocol enough to recommend it, but it was praised for it's story.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@Kidavenger said:

Planescape: Torment sounds like the game you are looking for.

This is what I was going to suggest as well.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By The_Nubster

@Animasta said:

The Void is as unique as you can get, go try that if you are interested in arty games/okami

Oh man, thank you for reminding me I have this. I played about fifteen minutes of it on my old computer before it bit the dust, and I haven't re-installed it since.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

@The_Nubster said:

@Animasta said:

Oh man, thank you for reminding me I have this. I played about fifteen minutes of it on my old computer before it bit the dust, and I haven't re-installed it since.

make sure you have the easy patch installed, game is fucking hard

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By fox01313

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (with the unofficial patches), Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire & Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Tarsier

zeno clash

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater
Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Rayeth

Everyone has already recommended two of my favorites (Planescape: Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil), but I don't see any Baldur's Gate on here. I don't know much about that Enhanced Edition that came out a while back, but the originals are available on GOG.com and work fine on modern systems. BG and BG2 with Planscape: Torment are pretty much the peak of PC RPG storytelling IMO.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Renahzor

KOTOR 1 & 2, although a little dated are still very good. I might even suggest going back to something like Neverwinter Nights to try it out, you can find them cheap now anyway and they're good games. I could run through a list of old school PC games that I love, but that might not be super helpful.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tarvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tarvis
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gaff

Mainstream, you say...

Heck, you're on a PC now, that opens up all kinds of adventure games (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, etc), "quirky" indie titles and way-too-complicated simulation games. Also: Steam.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrankieSpankie

Deus Ex (as obvious as it may be), particularly, the original. Still my favorite single player experience to this day.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series -- Best atmosphere I have ever seen in a game. Best survival horror game by far IMO.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines -- Kind of a niche game that isn't well known but absolutely loved by those who played it. Definitely the best vampire themed game ever made. It is still, to this day, the closest game I have ever played in comparison to Deus Ex without playing Deus Ex or one of its mods.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BisonHero
@Tarsier

zeno clash

half life 2 + eps 1 and 2

idk frig

I also endorse Zeno Clash
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By metalmoog

Thanks a lot for all of the excellent choices so far guys!

I recently purchased The Secret World when it axed it's subscription model because I was interested in the story and atmosphere, but the clunky repetitive gameplay and combat put me off.

I have played Dark Souls, Hotline Miami, KOTOR 1 & 2 & Amnesia and am a big fan of all of those games.

I keep seeing Planescape Torment listed and and recommended all over the web for an awesome RPG type story. I think the Forgotten Realms Games and Planescape Torment are ones that I'm going to try, they sound like they would be right up my alley.

Thanks again for your suggestions everyone!

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Trine games have an interesting story-based mechanic, as well as being absolutely gorgeous. I think they're cheapish on Steam.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really try Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Really quality stealth-action-rpg with a really interesting vision of the near future and a compelling twisty/turny story.

Also pick up Limbo. My god.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers