Can you still make money off console launch stortages?

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By personandstuff

So I preordered an xbox one on amazon, due to arrive on launch day. But none of the launch titles really interest me all that much and I just got a new gaming PC. And I remember all those stories about people selling their launch 360s and PS3s for several hundred dollars more. So, right now, I'm thinking I should sell it on ebay and collect some additional cash for my trouble. Do you guys think that is feasible? Or has the ease of preorders and online shopping made it so that all the people who were fanboyish enough to pay a grand for an xbox already have one.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By killacam

that's generally very frowned upon.. just cancel your pre-order so that those who actually want to USE the thing may.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Your "trouble" lol.

:/

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

Don't be a jerk.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By personandstuff

Is this really that dickish of a thing to do? I mean, I guess my preorder could go to someone else who would use it. But it's not like the xbox one is cast out into the ether. It'll still go to someone who will enjoy it. It'll just be someone willing to pay x dollars rather someone who was fast enough on the trigger with the preorder. Perhaps a parent who doesn't really get preorders or console launches.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Never understood why anyone would buy a console for 200 dollars more when a year from now the console will probably be cheaper. Either way what you're describing is a huge dick move and I imagine most people here aren't going to support your shitty behavior.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why it is a dick move, no one has to pay those prices, only stupid people do this. I wouldn't worry, make the paper kid.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are a real dirtbag.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

With the two consoles releasing so close together, if either one is short on supply, people will just buy the other one rather than overpay for one on ebay, I really doubt they will both sell out and anyone looking to make money will have about as much luck as the Wii U horders did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: People hoarded WiiU? That was a pretty poor life decision.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By leebmx

This is a really shitty thing to do. Just be happy with your console, or if you don't want one don't buy one. People that do things like this are the scum of the earth.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@kidavenger: People hoarded WiiU? That was a pretty poor life decision.

I had a friend who did that in an attempt to make a quick buck. He bought 2 I think. Came back a few months later and they were still there hahaha.

But I digress. it's a dick move. Sure, the people who do pay those prices are dumb, but that doesn't mean I can't find the act disgusting.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Profiteering by creating a side market to artificially inflate prices is an incredibly shitty thing to do. Not only are you keeping the pre-order out of someone else's hands, you are actively growing the side market that will lead to even more of these pre-orders being snatched up by people looking to resale for profit. Unfortunately, there will always be people who will pay an extreme premium for a product even when supply is heavily controlled (De Beers has been doing it for decades). I don't think that keeps it from being exploitative profiteering, and you probably won't find much support for it on these threads.

zkillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@personandstuff: I am not quite sure if everyone in this thread is a naive hippie or actually twelve. You have something of value in your preorder slot. If someone wants to give you something you value in exchange, everybody wins. Yay, pareto improvement.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Or, you could keep it.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexGlass

Ok guys he's not asking for a morality lesson, but whether or not it's possible. Being first to get your hands on a hot item has value. Don't just give it up, unless you're feeling very generous. Some of these people would trample and elbow you in your ribs in a store if they did away with tickets and opened the flood gates again. So while you might screw someone out of a pre-order, you might also help someone more deserving and who is a big enough fan to pony up the extra cash. You just never know, and it's not your problem to think about.

To get back on topic, I sold overpriced Kinects on Ebay even when they were in stock on Amazon.com. PLUS shipping. Don't ask me. People are stupid.

Does that answer your question?

However there were a lot of sellers who overbought, and probably got stuck with a lot of Kinects when MS made a big delivery the week of Christmas. So yes, but be smart and don't be too greedy. If you want to make an extra buck yes. If you want to make a seasonal business out of it, you might lose money.

It also depends on how many Xbox Ones Microsoft ships. But you probably won't have too much time getting one of your hands. Post it early. Sell it early. And you'll be safe. You can auction it before it even becomes available, after pre-orders shut down. Just make sure you get it or you'll have a very unhappy customer on your hands..

Btw, don't let people make you feel guilty. You're not forcing anyone to buy them. The people buying them usually think it's worth every penny. If manufacturers could, they would price it differently, but these items are underpriced at first compared to demand. Look at HDTV's when they first come out. And customers who bought from me, were very thankful. That's all that matters.

PS: If it makes you feel any better, it's not poor little Johnny you're screwing over. Poor kids know better, and pre-order. It's usually the rich kid's dad who didn't want to be bothered placing a pre-order early for his kid and is willing to pay anything to get it at the last minute. Fuck him. Make him pay for it! Next time be a good father and pre-order your kid's Xbox One early! He'll thank you too, cause you just saved his ass! Probably even get him laid by the wife.;)

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While i do see where some people are coming from i understand your point i'm in college for business so i know its all about supply and demand and yes you can. I remember back when the ps3 came out ebay had some for 1K and be bought it. I knew a kid who didn't pre-order and his dad bought him one for 800$ now to each their own if people have that type of money then fine let them spend it get the console show some pictures that it's the day one edition sell it for about 700$ and then buy some PC games. Its alright to do this most hardcore gamers already have theirs reserved by this point and considering the pre-orders will probably close soon they won't have a chance anyways so you do what you have to do.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

It is a dick move to do, but people that can't wait for the consoles to show up in stores again and buy overpriced consoles from somebody else are just as fucking stupid. You probably could make money off it, but honestly nobody here knows what supply will be like.

Avatar image for differenceengine
DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it. Times are different. With so many different platforms of gaming available, I get the feeling that no one really cares enough to always have the latest and greatest.

I think most gamers nowadays likely have a huge backlog of games that they have yet to play

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laserguy

If you start dressing like the audience your going to be the audience. Who do you want to be?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is incredibly shitty.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't be a jerk.

totally. OP, you're in the wrong bar if you're asking for advice on spinning launch-day consoles.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't see what the big deal is.

Sell it, don't listen to these losers.

GO CAPITALISM

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You probably still could.

I have no problem with you taking advantage of other people's stupid/irresponsible purchasing behavior.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

You monster.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

You are literally worse than Hitler. According to some people in here apparently.

Honestly, just buy the thing and if you can find someone dumb enough to buy it for more then have at it. If they can't be arsed to wait a few months for more stock to come in it's their own dumb fault. There are more people with money then brains out there. Just remember when you get stuck with a system you don't want or can't afford because there is no shortages or because it tanks and no one wants the thing it's the risk you took.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlexGlass

@crusader8463 said:

You are literally worse than Hitler. According to some people in here apparently.

Honestly, just buy the thing and if you can find someone dumb enough to buy it for more then have at it. If they can't be arsed to wait a few months for more stock to come in it's their own dumb fault. There are more people with money then brains out there. Just remember when you get stuck with a system you don't want or can't afford because there is no shortages or because it tanks and no one wants the thing it's the risk you took.

Tell me about it.

What about the little granny whose son only taught her how to use Ebay and all she wants to do is buy her grandson, little Johnny, an Xbox One for Christmas? She doesn't know how to go to Best Buy. She's in a wheel chair and can't go to GameStop. Heck she's never heard of it. All she has is this gift card and wants to find an Xbox One on Ebay for little Johnny.

Why do these people insist on taking away the happiness you could offer grandma and little Johnny? Why? Auction your Xbox One! Selling Xbox Ones on Ebay makes grandmothers and little Johnnies happy! And gives you a smile on your face when when you get your profit. Think of the smile you would put on her face when she sees she won the auction. Think of the stars in little Johnnies eyes when she gives him that Xbox One. The big grandma hug. How warm that makes her feel. Instead of one person being happy, you can make grandma happy, Johnnie happy, and yourself happy! Rip-off? Nonsense. That shit is priceless!

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dot

Do it. Get yo hustle on.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from any moral/karmic judgement, I'd assume there would be profit to be had in this scenario.

Unless MS actually has their shit together and has enough supply to meet the new console demand. Then you'll probably lose some face trying to scalp the console.

Shingatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, perhaps I should use some of the proceeds to start selling drugs to kids.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanmgraef

Hustle game homie!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You know, perhaps I should use some of the proceeds to start selling drugs to kids.

Just don't buy the xbox and get a jump start on that now. It would be the lesser of evils. May I also suggest investing in blood diamond and human trafficking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would just like to clarify that I don't think you are as bad as hitler or somebody who would sell drugs to kids. You are just a dirtbag.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheHumanDove

He gettin his hustle on!

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm I don't think people as many people will go for the overpriced xbox on ebay again. However you never know there are a bunch of stupid people out there. If you can go for it nothing wrong with making somr extra cash.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seppli

Yes, reading shit like this just reinforces the opinion that *winning is for losers*. Fuck capitalism!

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By connerthekewlkid
Loading Video...

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fearbeard

Technically you could make money in any shortage.

That's what a shortage is. When demand exceeds supply which can lead to higher prices.

The real question is how big a shortage will there actually be. I know someone who camped at a Walmart for a couple days with friends in order to grab some PS3's to sell. There were so many being sold online though that he was barely able to break even when he did sell them. He probably could have made some decent money if he had bought the Wii instead.

Buying one with the intention of selling is a huge risk. Your best bet is to buy one with the intention of keeping it. Then if demand massively outpaces supply and the prices go high then sell it if you want.

Anyone who wanted to make money with the Wii-U last year was severely disappointed I'm sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wouldn't expect to make a huge profit like people did with the Wii, but if the system is in short supply you could still fetch a nice wad.

Still a really assholish thing to do though.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@personandstuff

It might make money, if you are out early. But it has been difficult to say - fast ramp up manufacturing seems to be much more possible now. There were mentions on likely supply limitations from Michael Pachter though, so I suppose that means there will be a few hundred dollars to be made.

But the thing is - selling a console like that is a bit sleazy. And for that kind of transaction, you are putting yourself at a decent chance of being defrauded (ebay does not favor sellers typically).

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah.... if you're a real asshole.

Hopefully every other comment mentioning your assholishness has convinced you against this path.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By joshwent

@personandstuff: Assessing the morality here, you can look to Kant's categorical imperative, which basically states:

Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law

Basically, you can gauge the quality of your actions by what the consequences would be if everyone in world did what you did. So let's say not even everyone, but maybe a hundred thousand people bought the XOne with the intent of instantly reselling it for a profit. Traditionally, there's a gap after the first wave of console sales when they're physically manufacturing more, so in this situation, many of those people who didn't pre-order would be stuck buying one at a ridiculously inflated price. Not that they're stupid people willing to pay more as others have suggested, but they'd have no other option.

Dick move.

Also, if you actually like video games at all, re-selling a console for a profit at launch is bad for the whole industry. Every game sale works toward enabling a given developer to make their next game, but if someone has to spend an extra $180 to buy the XOne you don't want, that might be 3 games that they now can't buy.

So while it might be good for you in the short term, it's bad for all of us in the long run.

Don't do it.