#1 Posted by russdog (52 posts) -

I've had an xbox 360 since launch, and I was completely content with skipping this generation of the Sony console when Final Fantasy XIII was announced for the 360.  I think to myself, aah, I'm not missing too much and there are more games on 360 that I want to play than I can reasonably get to (still haven't played Batman:AA, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2).  I am absolutely an achievement whore, and I've come to terms with that.  I had decided to get one of the 360 special edition bundles to get the large hard drive to support game installs, the new game room coming out, all the DLC that is coming out these days.  All that to say...

I saw God of War III footage and my reality was shattered.  That game looks unlike anything I've ever seen.  Now I'm looking at the potential of playing through all 3 God of War games, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, and Gran Turismo 5.

Any thoughts out there?  Will I forget about the ps3 in a month when some of the God of War hype dies down & I'm still having fun playing Mass Effect 2, Borderlands, and Dragon Age on the 360?  Getting both is a possibility, but my frugality chip kicks in at that point.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21622 posts) -

You should get a ps3 if you've already got a 360, theres so many games you've missed out on, regardless of if the ps3 has a little bit of a dry streak.
#3 Posted by LiquidPrince (15946 posts) -

There are so many mind blowing games on PS3 now that it would suck for you to miss out.

#4 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@russdog:  i'm totally biased, lemme say that first. 

I have an xbox 360 with over 100 games, i love it. some good games came out for the ps3 last year so i borrowed my cousin's PS3 to play them. 

While fantastic at the time, i quickly grew bored of it. 

It is a fantastic console, but like you, my console is the 360 purely because the games i want are on the 360.
#5 Posted by Nasar7 (2669 posts) -

You should get a PS3 so you can play each console's exclusives. The other 98% of games are multiplat anyway.

#6 Posted by Godlovesugly (276 posts) -

Get a PS3, enjoy the back catalogue of games (on the cheap) and the upcoming exclusives.
Also get a Wii, then you can enjoy the whole family WAHOOOOOOOO

#7 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Wait... your 360 isn't even broken? This is a no brainer, then! Buy a PS3.

#8 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@FuzzYLemoN said:
" Wait... your 360 isn't even broken? This is a no brainer, then! Buy a PS3. "
This
#9 Posted by Zito (52 posts) -

I have an Xbox, loved it...till it started acting up, while it did not RROD that was enough to make me buy a PS3. You invest a lot in a game just to end up not being able to play while its being repaired or having to fork up for a new console. Since I got the PS3 haven't looked back. Great games... to many for the amount of time that I have to play them.

#10 Posted by roblopez (54 posts) -
@girdz said:
" @FuzzYLemoN said:
This "
That
#11 Posted by JoeyIA (662 posts) -

So you're still rockin' a 20GB 360?  I'd go out and get a new 250GB one.  The 20GB is pretty much useless if you want to download anything or install a game.   I recommend the MW2 bundle, I guy from work has one and its sweet looking, the other bundles are just plain Xboxes.

#12 Posted by tomte (291 posts) -

get a PS3, the first uncharted and inFamous game is also worth a playthrough if you havnt played them already, if you're into jrpg there's also Eternal Sonata and End of Eternity.
Also The Last Guardian will be out in a couple of months, and next year FFv 13 will come...

#13 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Definitely get the ps3, there are a whole bunch of games on it now which you won't be disappointed with.  And if any game is a reason to get a game its God of War 3 no question, GoTY!!!!

#14 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

PS3 has been the biggest let down out of any console I've ever owned.

#15 Edited by j_drace (353 posts) -
@russdog: Buy a PS3 and go to eBay or Craigslist if you want a cheap HDD.  There is no point in buying another 360 when you already have one.  This way you get to experience both console's exclusive games.  PS3 has better exclusives and they are so unlike anything that 360 has to offer.  360 exclusives are meh since the biggest ones are shooters.  I love shooters, but for an exclusive I want an excellent story driven game.  I also heard that GameStop will be selling 250GB HDDs for $129.99.
#16 Posted by Talesavo (131 posts) -
@j_drace: It's sad that i can buy a 1terabyte HDD for less than 130 bucks. ='/
#17 Posted by j_drace (353 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:
" PS3 has been the biggest let down out of any console I've ever owned. "
@Burns098356GX: You must have not owned a Wii.  I camped out for 21 hours to purchase one on launch and was sick for the next week and the purchase was never justified.  The only good game on it is Zelda.  I'm tired of all of this Mario shit already.  People are complaining about how Microsoft needs to leave HALO yet no one talks about Mario and his trash.  Super Smash Bros. had the potential to be good, but Melee is miles ahead of it.  All they release are Mario rehashes.
#18 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

PS3

#19 Posted by j_drace (353 posts) -
@Talesavo said:
" @j_drace: It's sad that i can buy a 1terabyte HDD for less than 130 bucks. ='/ "
@Talesavo: I know.  You can buy a 1TB HDD and have it flashed for 360 however the 360 will only recognize it as a 250GB as of now that is the cap.  You could buy a 250GB HDD 7,200 RPM for like $70 or so and then find someone to flash it for you, that usually costs about $25.  It loads games faster and it's still cheaper then what M$ will sell you.  Still I wish they would have made it like PS3 where you can just put in whatever.
#20 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Eh ill be picking up a 360 250gb Splinter Cell bundle most likely, but I dont own a 360 yet. Honestly it seems silly to just buy a new console for a Hard Drive upgrade. 

Also the 250 gig drive is going on sale eventually at gamestop for $130. Could always just get that.

PS3 has plenty of good exclusives and upcoming ones as well. I'd go with the PS3 hands down, no point in owning a second of the same working thing.

#21 Posted by roblopez (54 posts) -
@j_drace said:
" @Burns098356GX said:
" PS3 has been the biggest let down out of any console I've ever owned. "
@Burns098356GX: You must have not owned a Wii.  I camped out for 21 hours to purchase one on launch and was sick for the next week and the purchase was never justified.  The only good game on it is Zelda.  I'm tired of all of this Mario shit already.  People are complaining about how Microsoft needs to leave HALO yet no one talks about Mario and his trash.  Super Smash Bros. had the potential to be good, but Melee is miles ahead of it.  All they release are Mario rehashes. "
Funny thing is, Zelda was a gamecube game :)

I do like the Mario games though, everything else is trash.

Back on topic,

Dude if you have an Xbox already, get a PS3 and start watching some Blu-Rays and playing some exclusives. It's a no brainer.
#22 Posted by j_drace (353 posts) -
@roblopez said:
" Funny thing is, Zelda was a gamecube game :)  I do like the Mario games though, everything else is trash.  Back on topic,  Dude if you have an Xbox already, get a PS3 and start watching some Blu-Rays and playing some exclusives. It's a no brainer. "
@roblopez: I know, but Zelda is always so good and very well maid and scripted.
#23 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Get a PS3. Honestly, there are so many hidden costs with the 360 that it makes the PS3 a way better deal in comparison. Blu-ray player, comparable hard drive space, free online play, comparable games (unless you need to play Halo or Gears of War), no need to get rechargeable batteries for the controllers- the difference is clear.

I'm not a Sony Fanboy by the way- I love my 360. It's just so crazy how the 360 makes itself out to be the cheapest when it comes to the major consoles, when it's clearly not true.

#24 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Seriously, a PS3 is worthwhile. There are lots of good exclusives, and Sony is defenitely putting more interesting stuff at the forefront of their lineup.

A few incredible exclusives for teh PS3:
Heavy Rain
MGS IV (even if you don't like it, it is a necessary experience)
Valkyria Chronicles (especially if you are already a JRPG fan, though I recommend it as somebody who isn't)
Uncharted 2

As long as you have not played those games, you have missed out on a major portion of this generation.

#25 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Buy a PS3, but then mail it to me.  I promise I'll send it back... some day.

#26 Posted by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

Even though I've used my PS3 for streaming videos far more than playing games, it's still a worthwhile purchase since there are a few very good exclusives out for that you can't get anywhere else.

#27 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

I personally wouldn't get both... too much money for a few exclusive releases a year.
#28 Posted by Andheez (583 posts) -

Its nice having both.  I prefer the 360 for the same reason, the games, and ESPECIALLY the controller, but the PS3 has plenty of other uses besides games too.  Blu-Ray, a web browser and good Media Server capabilities chiefly.  Also getting some nice exclusives ( there are a lot fewer than people would have you believe though) is a good bonus.  Sometimes the the PS3 is better for some multiplatform games too, so you have the option!

#29 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

ps3 
360 will end up red ringing anyways

#30 Posted by russdog (52 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback...definitely seems the GB community is leaning toward the ps3 decision.

Very interesting on the 250GB hard drives coming out for sale retail.  I haven't been able to find any good info on that until now.  Feels like a good compromise...bump up the xbox HD for relatively cheap and get the ps3.  On my 3rd xbox thanks to 2 RROD.  This one finally seems to work pretty well, no freezes, no disc read errors.

I have 2 blu-ray players BTW, and agree that blu-ray is quite good.

Thanks again.

#31 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -
@russdog said:
" Thanks for all the feedback...definitely seems the GB community is leaning toward the ps3 decision.  Very interesting on the 250GB hard drives coming out for sale retail.  I haven't been able to find any good info on that until now.  Feels like a good compromise...bump up the xbox HD for relatively cheap and get the ps3.  On my 3rd xbox thanks to 2 RROD.  This one finally seems to work pretty well, no freezes, no disc read errors. I have 2 blu-ray players BTW, and agree that blu-ray is quite good. Thanks again. "
Another vote here for PS3. (just if you still hadn't fully decided).
#32 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Pick up the hard drive later, get a ps3.

#33 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@russdog said:
" I've had an xbox 360 since launch, and I was completely content with skipping this generation of the Sony console when Final Fantasy XIII was announced for the 360.  I think to myself, aah, I'm not missing too much and there are more games on 360 that I want to play than I can reasonably get to (still haven't played Batman:AA, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2).  I am absolutely an achievement whore, and I've come to terms with that.  I had decided to get one of the 360 special edition bundles to get the large hard drive to support game installs, the new game room coming out, all the DLC that is coming out these days.  All that to say...  I saw God of War III footage and my reality was shattered.  That game looks unlike anything I've ever seen.  Now I'm looking at the potential of playing through all 3 God of War games, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, and Gran Turismo 5.  Any thoughts out there?  Will I forget about the ps3 in a month when some of the God of War hype dies down & I'm still having fun playing Mass Effect 2, Borderlands, and Dragon Age on the 360?  Getting both is a possibility, but my frugality chip kicks in at that point. "
Let me help: the 360 dies first.
#34 Posted by PolyesterPimp (255 posts) -
 @roblopez said:
" @girdz said:
" @FuzzYLemoN said:
This "
That "
These. Lmao
#35 Posted by killercheereo98 (28 posts) -

dude if u already have a 360 and your happy with it get the ps3 and try it out or if you know somebody who has a ps3 then try to get them to let you borrow it but still you got to try it out sometime.
#36 Posted by EpicReflex (205 posts) -

Easy decision, get a PS3. Great piece of hardware with some top tier games.

#37 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

The perks of a larger hard drive are nice, but not as nice as a new library of exclusives. If you were without either system, I'd vote 360, but in this circumstance I vote Playstation. And get Little Big Planet while you're at it.
#38 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" ps3 360 will end up red ringing anyways "
Nah, it won't. 
#39 Edited by Tomarlyn (146 posts) -

I got my 360 about 2 years ago, love it.

Picked up a PS3 about 6 months ago for KIllzone 2, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Blu Ray, free online, no noisy console etc. Seriously, PS3 games run more silently than an installed 360 game.

Its most definitely worth it

#40 Posted by StLucifer (94 posts) -
@russdog: 
#41 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

if you can afford it absolutely.

#42 Posted by rjayb89 (7721 posts) -

You should build a PC rig.

#43 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

if it isn't broken then why get a new one? u can just buy a different hard drive. get a ps3 u can always keep it for a while.

#44 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

" ps3 360 will end up red ringing anyways "
Nah, it won't.  "
Denial, 
It aint just a river in Egypt