#1 Posted by DanCarmichael (220 posts) -

I'll admit my own ignorance and say I was never really aware of this genre until The binding of isaac. I've sunk well over 90 hours into that and discovered I adore this genre. I'm looking forward to spelunky but are there any other great roughlikes I should play?

Excluding Diablo (if you count that)

#2 Edited by DeF (4692 posts) -

How about Dungeons of Dredmor. it was included in bundles and sales quite a lot over the last few months.

#3 Posted by Salarn (445 posts) -

Dwarf Fortress (Adventure mode)

Dungeons of Dreadmore

Desktop Dungeons

Really depends on if what types of rogue likes you want to play.

#4 Posted by druv (32 posts) -

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is the gold standard of the graphical tileset games at the moment, I would say. And not that much "how was I supposed to know that"-bull.

DoomRL has gotten a lot of good buzz and the little I've played of it was pretty neat.

ADOM is a favourite among people who like quirkier games.

#5 Posted by Zaccheus (1770 posts) -
#6 Posted by DanCarmichael (220 posts) -

Thanks guys. Will check these out. Always heard good things about Dungeons of Dreadmore. As far as which type of rougelikes, i'm not sure. I really enjoy absolutely punishing difficulty. Suppose that's why I like isaac so much.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

Nobody has mentioned Binding of Isaac.

...except for the OP himself...

#8 Posted by Zaccheus (1770 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@Zaccheus said:

Nobody has mentioned Binding of Isaac.

...except for the OP himself...

Well... no there is nothing I can say. I apologize.

#9 Posted by Akyho (1549 posts) -

@Salarn said:

Dwarf Fortress (Adventure mode)

I was just rushing in here with my banner...only to find one here....oh well!! I am off the bite some Dingoes skulls!

#10 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -
#11 Edited by ShaggE (5983 posts) -

The PC version of Spelunky. Just started myself after watching the QL, and it's wonderful.

And seconding Dredmor and DoomRL.

#12 Posted by AssInAss (2400 posts) -

Receiver, FPS made in 7 days that has rogue-like elements and also crazy gun handling mechanics. Pretty intense experience to be had. It's only a prototype though.

#13 Posted by Bubbly (248 posts) -
#14 Posted by Sarkahn (30 posts) -

I found Uplink to be an incredible "roguelike-like" game. It has a bit of a learning curve, but it consumed many many hours of my time once I finally figured it out. And it's super cheap on Steam.

#15 Posted by Loafsmooch (260 posts) -

I've had dozens of hours of fun with dungeons of dredmor. If you pick it up, make sure to pick up the free expansion pack they released a few days ago aswell.

#16 Posted by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

Receiver, FPS made in 7 days that has rogue-like elements and also crazy gun handling mechanics. Pretty intense experience to be had. It's only a prototype though.

I second this. Also, Dungeons of Dredmor, 100 Rogues (on iOS if you have it), and NetHack.

#17 Posted by Omega (819 posts) -
#18 Posted by Loafsmooch (260 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

Tried it. Mind blown D: Can't wait for future updates.

#19 Posted by WarlordPayne (692 posts) -

Cursed Loot in the XBLA indie games section is pretty great and it's only a buck.

#20 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

I really enjoyed Epic Dungeon - it's an Xbox Live Indie game so super cheap (80 points maybe, possibly less)

Pretty simple but very enjoyable with some cool mechanics.

#21 Posted by Sbaitso (363 posts) -

People have started throwing the term "roguelike" around a whole lot recently, it's kinda weird. Really weird when Patrick called spelunky a "straight up" roguelike, since in the traditional sense it kinda isn't, even though it definitely has most of the main elements. It's just not a turn based RPG. But whatever. I ain't mad.

Angband is really good, as is ToMe(which Dave has mentioned a few times himself).

DungeonCrawl is really good as well, and all these games are free too.

#22 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -
#23 Posted by championfetus (230 posts) -

If you would consider the Etrian Odyssey games rogue-likes, those are fun and incredibly difficult.

#24 Edited by Owlright (117 posts) -

Dungeons of Dredmor's pretty good, it's a lot more accessible than a lot of the other roguelikes out there, if you want to work your way down from Binding of Isaac and Spelunky to more traditional roguelikes. I personally really like the Desktop Dungeons beta and Tales of Maj'Eyal myself, been sinking a lot of time into both.

Binding of Isaac and Spelunky are both pretty different from the usual roguelike fare though, so if you're not into turn-based rpgs you might not like most of what the roguelike genre offers up.

#25 Posted by DanCarmichael (220 posts) -

Nothing against turn based mechanics. In fact id welcome a completely different take to isaac.