#1 Posted by step2ice (25 posts) -

According to this article http://aussie-gamer.com/?p=11299, the upcoming Mercenaries 3D game will "feature" a undeletable save file.
This should prevent the game from resale and raise the sales of new copies.
Seems like someone at Capcom has gotten a little too ambitious.
Not allowing the owner of a copy to reset their save file = very bad decision.
It reminds me of the DRM fiasco with MP3s.

#2 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3071 posts) -

This is a hilariously bad idea.

#3 Posted by Rockdalf (1275 posts) -

If this game turns out to be a cult classic, can you imagine how much an unopened copy will go for in five or ten years? 

#4 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life.  

Congrats Capcom, what will you do next to help me in my decision to never give you a dollar again?
#5 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@Rockdalf said:
If this game turns out to be a cult classic, can you imagine how much an unopened copy will go for in five or ten years? 

4.99$ 

it's capcom trash
#6 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Capcom should be focusing on making games that do not suck before they punish their customers with stuff like this.

#7 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

Just what we wanted!

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

You sure that wasn't a type? Sounds like something EA or Activision would come up with.

#9 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -

I think un-deletable saves seem detrimental to sales overall right?

#10 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@S0ndor said:
Capcom should be focusing on making games that do not suck before they punish their customers with stuff like this.
THIS
#11 Posted by Hailinel (24407 posts) -

Based on the type of gameplay that this game is going for, which seems to be mostly time attack/score based, I'm not really seeing the issue here. Is it silly to think that this will cut down on used game sales? Yes. Is it a feature that seems ass-backward? Not necessarily.

#12 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

You sure that wasn't a type? Sounds like something EA or Activision would come up with.

No EA and Activision would try to bundle it in with an online play code or a 10 year old game that you don't care about. This seems like something Capcom and Japanese companies would do.

#13 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

#14 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Luckily I looked before commenting that it was talking about RE:Mercs 3D. Otherwise, this would have sounded completely preposterous for console or PC users.

Not like it doesn't sound ridiculous this way, though...

#15 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
Luckily I looked before commenting that it was talking about RE:Mercs 3D. Otherwise, this would have sounded completely preposterous for console or PC users.  Not like it doesn't sound ridiculous this way, though...
After realizing that it seems less stupid.
#16 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Um, so you can't ever play it again once you beat it because you have an undeletable save at the end? Am I completely misunderstanding this?

#17 Posted by Aetheldod (3554 posts) -

Sounds stupid .... but heck I dont give a damn about portables anyway

#18 Posted by Hailinel (24407 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

Um, so you can't ever play it again once you beat it because you have an undeletable save at the end? Am I completely misunderstanding this?

Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D is the Mercenaries mode from previous games fleshed out into a full game. As in, you select a character, a mission, and go. There is no campaign to speak of. It is a challenge/high score-based affair. You can play the missions as many times as you want. There's absolutely no reason that you would need to start from scratch after completing the final challenges. You could just go back and play whichever ones you want.

#19 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Well that doesn't sound like much of a problem then.

#20 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

It sounds like an idea a  guy had while he was wasted.

#21 Posted by project343 (2817 posts) -

Remember when Capcom was good? And then they were bad? And then they were kinda good again? Ugh, I miss them.

#22 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

Based on the type of gameplay that this game is going for, which seems to be mostly time attack/score based, I'm not really seeing the issue here. Is it silly to think that this will cut down on used game sales? Yes. Is it a feature that seems ass-backward? Not necessarily.

You play the game once, hate it, never play it again.  

Your 3DS is forever broken by this shitty game save you may never remove.  

Yeah, I guess that's not ass-backward at all
#23 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MideonNViscera said:

Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D is the Mercenaries mode from previous games fleshed out into a full game. As in, you select a character, a mission, and go. There is no campaign to speak of. It is a challenge/high score-based affair. You can play the missions as many times as you want. There's absolutely no reason that you would need to start from scratch after completing the final challenges. You could just go back and play whichever ones you want.

I wouldn't say there is no reason. I might be the only one who does stuff like this but when I used to play Pokemon I played and got 100% several times... than I would delete my save and start again. Now for this game I can see there being no point in being angry about this "feature", you can play previous levels with previous load-outs, but I hope this isn;t some new strategy for all Capcom games.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24407 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Hailinel said:

You play the game once, hate it, never play it again. Your 3DS is forever broken by this shitty game save you may never remove. Yeah, I guess that's not ass-backward at all

...Saves are recorded on the game card. Not the 3DS itself. What the hell, man?

#25 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Hailinel said:

You play the game once, hate it, never play it again. Your 3DS is forever broken by this shitty game save you may never remove. Yeah, I guess that's not ass-backward at all

...Saves are recorded on the game card. Not the 3DS itself. What the hell, man?

Perfect example of keeping yourself from posting while tired...