• 62 results
#1 Edited by mosdl (3229 posts) -

Yup, Carmageddon is getting kickstarted.

The original developer has gotten the rights to the IP. $15 gets you the game (if it gets funded). Developers don't like getting paid in cake for some reason. Modding tools will be released.

Who is excited?

#2 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

Truly, the time has come. Kickstarter is making a lot of people delusional.

#3 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (494 posts) -

Does anybody really want this?

#4 Posted by mangopup (78 posts) -

I don't remember this series ever being interesting or fun.

#5 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (736 posts) -

@Ninja_Welshman said:

YES.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I've got no real attachment to Carmageddeon but the writing on the main page is real funny. I'm in $15 just because of that.

#7 Posted by CornBREDX (5626 posts) -

Carmageddon was cool in its day, but I can't really say I've been pining for its return.

I wish them the best of luck but I'm gonna pass on this one.

#8 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

Yeah alright, fifteen bucks is about what Carmageddon's worth to me.

#9 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@Ninja_Welshman said:

If I wanted it, I would have bought Twisted Metal, even at the higher asking price.

I figure we'll still probably hear the stories of woe when this Kickstarter doesn't raise enough money, though.

#10 Posted by Levius (1169 posts) -

Is Kickstarter just an elaborate 90's game emulator now?

#11 Edited by kindgineer (2770 posts) -

I'll throw $15 at that, lots of fun back in the day.

Also, is the negativity in this thread really necessary or is it just a bunch of dolts expressing the more entertaining opinion for the sake or a laugh of a nod of the head?

#12 Posted by Gaff (1815 posts) -

@Ninja_Welshman said:

This.

Though I guess the wonderful thing about Kickstarter is gauging interest in a project directly from the fans, and not from some market research groups?

#13 Posted by Ketchupp (673 posts) -

This is just embarassing.

#14 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

But...Nobody sane would want another Carmageddon. D:

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11917 posts) -

Kickstarter: Preying on your misplaced nostalgia since 2011.

#16 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2499 posts) -

Went ahead and threw in $15 to see where this goes. I was a big fan of the first two games in the series, the third wasn't great, but I still own it, lol.

I know they're already pretty deep in development on this one, so hopefully that'll mean a shorter turnaround time, same with Grim Dawn from Crate.

#17 Edited by Dogma (975 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Went ahead and threw in $15 to see where this goes. I was a big fan of the first two games in the series, the third wasn't great, but I still own it, lol.

I know they're already pretty deep in development on this one, so hopefully that'll mean a shorter turnaround time, same with Grim Dawn from Crate.

The third game wasn't made by Stainless if I don't remember wrong? I think this is quite cool but it has to up the ante quite a bit to feel more modern. A lot of games today have donewhat Carmageddon once did.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4994 posts) -

I really enjoy reading the reward tiers in all these Kickstarter projects. I don't care so much about the games, though.

#19 Posted by Keen314 (76 posts) -

I'll toss them $15.

What I really want to see Kickstarted is a new Road Rash. Or Mutant League. What I'm getting at is why doesn't EA want my money?

#20 Edited by squirrelnacho (331 posts) -

delete

#21 Edited by squirrelnacho (331 posts) -

@mosdl said:

Yup, Carmageddon is getting kickstarted.

The original developer has gotten the rights to the IP. $15 gets you the game (if it gets funded). Developers don't like getting paid in cake for some reason. Modding tools will be released.

Who is excited?

The game was already announced last year with the developers, there is a game page on this site already. The kickstarter is new, though. Anyway, it would be surprising if half the people on this site were of the time to have even played the old games.

Everyone saying there were recent attempts to make this sort of game are not really correct. This is not like twsted metal, which is probably the only point of reference for many people on this site. The cars did not have health bars and weapons on them. It was more of a demolition derby game with advanced physics.

#22 Posted by Quantical (358 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: Like GOG.com does.

#23 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

@squirrelnacho: Yeah, they note they have already built a prototype, they now are asking for funding to turn it into a full game. Kickstarter helps them reduce the risk they are taking substantially.

@Keen314 said:

I'll toss them $15.

What I really want to see Kickstarted is a new Road Rash. Or Mutant League. What I'm getting at is why doesn't EA want my money?

The Road Rash - now with day 1 dlc! Though I would still buy it, nostalgia be damned!

#24 Posted by Quantical (358 posts) -

@squirrelnacho: I loved it. I had the original, probably do still have it somewhere. Doubt I'll bother with this kickstarter though. The pledge levels are funny regardless.

#25 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

This has to crash and burn, or else everyones going to be wanting a kickstart.

#26 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Carmageddon 2012: Caporcalypse Redux: HD Remix.

I'll pass.

#27 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

They are predicting a February 2013 release if they get funded. Not a bad turnaround time at all it seems. :)

#28 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11917 posts) -

@Quantical said:

GoG certainly has its share of stinkers, but I don't think anyone will argue that Carmageddon should be placed on the same pillars of quality as stuff like Fallout or Baldur's Gate. Much like Leisure Suit Larry and Shadowrun, this is another company trying to ride the coattails of Telltale and Wasteland 2 with their B-tier nostalgic property that wouldn't get major publisher funding for a reason.

#29 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Quantical said:

GoG certainly has its share of stinkers, but I don't think anyone will argue that Carmageddon should be placed on the same pillars of quality as stuff like Fallout or Baldur's Gate. Much like Leisure Suit Larry and Shadowrun, this is another company trying to ride the coattails of Telltale and Wasteland 2 with their B-tier nostalgic property that wouldn't get major publisher funding for a reason.

You say that like it's a bad thing. If anything, the fact that for as much as those franchises might be "B-tier," the fact that they both succeeded is pretty much proof positive that people do like those franchises and the (even now) very different-from-the-norm things they did, and want to see them come back. (Also, I don't think anyone who played actual Shadowrun back in the day would very much care for your implying that Shadowrun isn't necessarily a series that deserves to come back, thank you.)

Carmageddon was stupid fun back in the day. If this is that but nicer looking and even stupider, I don't see the problem.

#30 Posted by Gnubberen (774 posts) -

You know I liked Camageddon.... And that video was pretty good... Sure I'll bite.

#31 Posted by MannyCalavera (105 posts) -

Call me insane, call me whatever you want, but i'm backing this. I WANT A NEW CARMAGGEDDON. Yeah, i said it :D

#32 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

Aren't Stainless currently busy with the Magic: The Gathering gravy train though? Well, I suppose by this point releasing a minor update every year isn't that taxing on their resources. Pretty odd road that company has taken.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

must be squealing like a little girl right now.

#34 Posted by Zuldim (290 posts) -

This is just the next step in the master plan to turn the Nineties into a sentient life-form.

Seriously though, I wish them the best. I would be all for seeing car combat games make a return.

...I have no interest in actually funding this though.

#35 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Kickstarter: A new method of sucking the souls out of gamers inflicted with nostalgia.

#36 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

GUYS Solar Jetman and LowG Man Kickstarter FINALLY

#37 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (930 posts) -

I threw in 25$. Was going to buy this anyway, and feel they deserve that.

I still install Carmageddon 2 now and then. The destruction physics or whatever is still one of the best out there I'd say, with the ability to crunch up your car beyond recognition and still being able to drive around. Hell, you can split your car in half!

#38 Posted by Humanity (9604 posts) -

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Yes, but will it live up to your nostalgic memories? Probably no. Vehicular car combat isn't as fun as we remember it especially since Carmageddon boiled down to just t-boning AI cars.

#39 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Nah, Wasteland 2 is on the way, and Fallout 4 is close. Still, if they release this, I'll probably get it if only for the armageddon part.

#40 Posted by kalmis (1559 posts) -

Sure I'll bite. Remember using countless of hours on the original game(s).

#41 Edited by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

I find the sad thing is, they're trying to say "Hey look, we're just putting all of our money into this game! Instead of some fancy video like everyone else..." yet they have a fucking 600hp Range Rover... I'm sure that wouldn't cost more than a video camera and someone to do a half-decent job of editing.

#42 Posted by dudeglove (8020 posts) -

It is later revealed that Kickstarter is secretly a fiendishly evil plan by Valve to generate steam sales.

#43 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

Hmm, Carmageddon. I remember the bad controls and killing pedestrians. That's about it.

#44 Posted by Amukasa (53 posts) -

Yes... Remake it. If I dont like I won't play it. Ugh I hate video game snobs. I miss the old days either you played it or you didn't. Whiny gamers are so annoying.

#45 Posted by Zaccheus (1797 posts) -

I have a lot of childhood memories of Carmageddon 2... Good times.

#46 Posted by Karnov (10 posts) -

@ShaunassNZ:

Or one of the developers have a 600hp Range Rover and they put some stickers on it.

And judging by the current progress, all you haters will be disappointed: 121/400k in 2 days.

#47 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I wasn't on-board until I saw that the name was "Carmageddon Reincarnated".

Done. Sold. Let's do it.

EDIT- Wow this video is terrible!

EDIT 2- WOW THIS VIDEO IS REALLY TERRIBLE!

#48 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

@Karnov: Ok then, those stickers probably costed more than a camera and someone to edit.

#49 Posted by ShaggE (6555 posts) -

It's not going to make the goal unless something awesome happens, but I'd love to see a new Carmageddon. Those games were dumb in the best way. (and the damage modeling in the first two games was seriously impressive for the time)

#50 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

I want it so bad.

Old lady in the street: " I was in the war! " ... SPLAT (100 points)

Fear Factory

Good times