Carmen Sandiego meets Google Maps?

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

http://geoguessr.com/

That is a damn fun little game, They drop you into a random street corner in google maps street view and you have to try and discern where it is. Kept me up for an hour last night. Got 28421 managed to get within .019 KM at one point.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

:o I got 9989, I felt like I cheated a little bit though by moving around the environment until I found something that mentioned the country =/ Maybe that's the intention (?), but it definitely felt a little cheap doing that.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

That's kind of a terrible way of describing that game

my top score is 11000, because I successfully knew where Orkney was and got it right on the money

fucking australia though. I keep mistaking that for the deserts of nevada and vice versa.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's pretty awesome. Playing with it now. What is up with google street view though? Did they drive inside this weird old abandoned building, because it's basically just an adventure game now, where I'm able to explore every room inside this place.

No Caption Provided

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By meaninoflife42

I got a score of 8039.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@weltal said:

That's pretty awesome. Playing with it now. What is up with google street view though? Did they drive inside this weird old abandoned building, because it's basically just an adventure game now, where I'm able to explore every room inside this place.

No Caption Provided

Street View is weird these days. I was playing geoguessr yesterday with a bunch of guys on the Giant Bomb Gaming Hub IRC, and I got one on the middle of a snowy hill. No road or anything, just a snowy hill with nothing but snow and trees. But that's nothing. One of the guys got the middle of a restaurant. Not outside a restaurant, but right slap bang in the middle of a restaurant.

EDIT: Found the screenshot he posted of it in the IRC: http://i.imgur.com/1DfQlJo.jpg

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Arbie

Ah that's a fun game, thanks for sharing! I'm not too good at it though. Kept getting lost and following cars. Also thought everything was in England...

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm: Yeah, super weird and awesome. I just spent an hour exploring a destroyed Japanese elementary school. Everything from the bathroom to the gym was mapped, after guessing I looked up the location on google maps, apparently it was a school that was hit by the tsunami.

Nakahama Elementary School, Kune-22-2 Sakamoto, Yamamoto-chō, Watari-gun, Miyagi-ken, Japan - is the adress if anyone's curious.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By butano

Really cool game. First set I got was pretty decent, though afterwards they started placing me in the middle of nowhere. Like, dirt paths and wheat fields nowhere.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zeforgotten

Haha,
I just had a name of a store on one image show up as "Svenssons i Lammhult"

So, Lammhult Sweden. WIN!

Anyways, thanks for now making me waste away while I play this

Edit: Anchorage.
0.077 from correct location..
That's not close enough. I should ask for directions but I won't.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@mattyftm said:

@weltal said:

No Caption Provided

Street View is weird these days. I was playing geoguessr yesterday with a bunch of guys on the Giant Bomb Gaming Hub IRC, and I got one on the middle of a snowy hill. No road or anything, just a snowy hill with nothing but snow and trees. But that's nothing. One of the guys got the middle of a restaurant. Not outside a restaurant, but right slap bang in the middle of a restaurant.

EDIT: Found the screenshot he posted of it in the IRC: http://i.imgur.com/1DfQlJo.jpg

Google has started doing "street view" for the inside of buildings/company's that allow them or ask them. They have been starting to get layouts of places like malls to help you walk around and stuff, and random train tracks or Stonehenge because why the hell not?

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zFUBARz

Yeah they recently spent a week mapping out the entirety of the Canadian Parliament buildings. It's pretty cool stuff actually, it's great that they're doing it to show things like disasters and urban decay too, I hope those pictures get kept somewhere when they update the images. I got one third world looking beach in a tropical region, everything was brown and grey, with the remains of old resorts around. found out it was the remains of a resort town near Cancun that was 90% destroyed by Hurricane Dean, it was really interesting to see, and made me do some research on the subject in the middle of my search.

incidentally I don't see anything wrong with investigating the area's in depth, that's part of the fun, you complain about getting a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, I see following that road up to a random sign, doing an image search and matching that common name to the pictures that matched the view, and the types of vegetation I saw on Geoguessr got me to within about 100 meters on one of those otherwise dirt road images.

@animasta: Play this on repeat while you play.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By TyCobb

Got 13,019

That's a fun little game. Surprised I did that well.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

Got 10224. Helped that three of the five were from English speaking nations with English signs, and one of them was my home country. The Red Rooster fast food restaurant gave it away as Australia, and the sugar cane pointed towards Central or North Queensland.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

9175. I didn't really scroll around too much so maybe that's why I got pretty low.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoLines

A lil' bit of snoopin' and bam, 19439 points. The first round had a bar with the name of the town in the name, so that was easy.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

My high score so far is 11529. I've decided to not move around and only rotate on the spot or zoom. I think walking around feels too much like cheating.

Anyway, here's some of my happy snaps from my GeoGuessr journeys:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zFUBARz

@beachthunder: I'll never understand people who don't want to travel, the world is an awesome looking place.