Cartridges <3

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Does anyone else miss cartridges?. The tactile nature of them still appeals to me to this day as a lover of retro games. In fact I get mine out now and then and fondle them oddly, is it wrong that I smell the slots and notice that NeoGeo carts have a sharp metailic zesty scent, that merges well with musty tobacco low note :?

If digital media returned in cartridge form lin the future and had no deficiency alongside other forms of memory available, would you still be against the idea of them returning?. Dowloadable games and discs are fine of course, but it adds significantly to the feeling of possession when something has tactility

You know you miss them, a little at least.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

I miss the cartridges days a bit but not that much to smell them.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I agree with you that they add to the feeling of possession, but I sure as hell don't miss blowing into them and paying higher prices for them.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

Carts are awesome but that's why SNES, N64 and DS stuff is so easily pirated and emulated. Sure you can pirate PS1 games with iso's and all that but that's a pain for most pople where as with cartridge games all you need is 1 rom file to play a game. Apart from that I love cartridges. No load times or anything.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By Suicrat

I don't miss cartridges, I still have my SNES.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Linkyshinks said:
" Does anyone else miss cartridges?. The tactile nature of them still appeals to me day as a lover of retro games. In fact I get mine out now and then and fondle them oddly, is it wrong that I smell the slots and notice that NeoGeo carts have a sharp metailic zesty scent, that merges well with musty tobacco low note :?  If digital media returned in cartridge form lin the future and had no deficiency alongside other forms of memory available, would you still be against the idea of them returning?. Dowloadable games and discs are fine of course, but it adds significantly to the feeling of possession when something has tactility  You know you miss them, a little at least.   "
This.

@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" I agree with you that they add to the feeling of possession, but I sure as hell don't miss blowing into them and paying higher prices for them. "
And this. I do love the smell of them. It's like a new car smell to me. But I love them mostly because you can't scratch them like CDs. Old games back then were tougher and more robust!
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ
@Suicrat said:
" I don't miss cartridges, I still have my SNES. "
I don't miss cartridges, I still have my DS : ) 
@Scooper said:
" Carts are awesome but that's why SNES, N64 and DS stuff is so easily pirated and emulated. Sure you can pirate PS1 games with iso's and all that but that's a pain for most pople where as with cartridge games all you need is 1 rom file to play a game. Apart from that I love cartridges. No load times or anything. "
PSP has far more piracy than the DS, but I see what you mean
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoelTGM

Cartridges and attachable rumble packs were cool and all, but come on it's so nice to slide a disc into the ps3, or heck, just start a game from steam on the PC with no disc at all.  Nostalgia is nice though, remembering old times of dusty cartridges and big ugly controllers laid out on the carpet... but hey just dig up your old systems or go buy them for cheap from salvation army.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Eh, discs aren't all that good. If your NES broke, it'd be easier to repair than the 360 or Wii, since there's no equivalent to "blowing in the little door."

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ninjakiller

Yeah, I really miss blowing the dust out of them trying to get them to play, or paying the equivalent of $100 per cartridge in today's money.  No thanks.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper
@AgentJ said:
@Scooper said:
" Carts are awesome but that's why SNES, N64 and DS stuff is so easily pirated and emulated. Sure you can pirate PS1 games with iso's and all that but that's a pain for most pople where as with cartridge games all you need is 1 rom file to play a game. Apart from that I love cartridges. No load times or anything. "
PSP has far more piracy than the DS, but I see what you mean "
I'm not to up on modern emulation and piracy so I don't really know the process so maybe PSP is super easy to pirate.

I know it's quicker to get a SNES rom on google then getting a drink from the fridge.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

" I agree with you that they add to the feeling of possession, but I sure as hell don't miss blowing into them and paying higher prices for them. "

I have to agree with the latter, but I imagine any future cartridge could prevent the need to do so. 

I miss the label artwork too!, and so do the Japanese on the evidence of this new art craze where they have artists creating mock NES/Famicom cart labels, for made up games. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

lol

No Caption Provided
Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chipset_Seven

I like cartridges because for the most part you have zero load times and without a disk device to access the information, usually zero read errors.  They do get old and corroded, though, and you can't get them wet - but overall they avoid mechanical nature of drives and the sketchy dependence on a network line/cable.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

this is how awesome cartridges are.. 

my older sister got really angry at me once and  dunked my turtles tournament fighter into some washing up water...and then threw it at me where it bounced off a chair.... 

still totally worked!
Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chipset_Seven
@marioncobretti said:
"this is how awesome cartridges are..  my older sister got really angry at me once and  dunked my turtles tournament fighter into some washing up water...and then threw it at me where it bounced off a chair....  still totally worked! "

You're lucky, I once had a flood in my house that ruined some Atari Jaguar cartridges and the console itself.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Chipset_Seven said:

" I like cartridges because for the most part you have zero load times and without a disk device to access the information, usually zero read errors.  They do get old and corroded, though, and you can't get them wet - but overall they avoid mechanical nature of drives and the sketchy dependence on a network line/cable. "

I like cleaning mine with a cotton bud carefully, it can be a zen like practice akin to something like the Tea ceremony if done correctly. I use the finest rubbing alcohol I have in my studio, none of that cheap muck you can get. It's quite satisfying when you look upon a dirty cotton bud. lol 

@marioncobretti said:

" this is how awesome cartridges are..  my older sister got really angry at me once and  dunked my turtles tournament fighter into some washing up water...and then threw it at me where it bounced off a chair....  still totally worked! "

Now that's Toitle Power  

Apol typo's in the OP.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Emilio

Yeah I miss them, but that's why I love my DS games so much. 

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By destruktive

I don't miss them because I got a Sega master system II, NES, SNES, N64 right here. You can't miss something you have :)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Emilio said:

" Yeah I miss them, but that's why I love my DS games so much.  "

They need to have smelly slots before they can be revered. 

@Chipset_Seven said:

" @marioncobretti said:

"this is how awesome cartridges are..  my older sister got really angry at me once and  dunked my turtles tournament fighter into some washing up water...and then threw it at me where it bounced off a chair....  still totally worked! "
You're lucky, I once had a flood in my house that ruined some Atari Jaguar cartridges and the console itself. "

Was AvP one of those games :O 
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#20  Edited By citizenkane

I have great memories with cartridges, but I don't miss them at all.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do like cartridges better then discs, but I don`t smell mine

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ugalde

Dont miss them because I never had a system that needed them.
juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By juanvaldes

I miss instant load times. Also I miss my NES/SNES/64 w/ all those great games I had. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By meteora

I do sort of miss cartridges; for the fact that I don't have to always handle them as lightly as I should compare to discs. Though it's a pain to bring the cartridge over to your friends house with a heavier load, for example.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@Linkyshinks said:
"@Everyones_A_Critic said:

I have to agree with the latter, but I imagine any future cartridge could prevent the need to do so. 

I miss the label artwork too!, and so do the Japanese on the evidence of this new art craze where they have artists creating mock NES/Famicom cart labels, for made up games. 

lol

"

Holy shit this is such a breakthrough in nerdology!
Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chipset_Seven
@Linkyshinks:  No, but Tempest 2000 was.
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By jonnyboy

You were lucky to have cartridges! If I had any I smell them all damn day! I had an Amiga, technically superior  in every way except one, the fact that games came on low density, single sided 3 and a 1/2 inch floppy disks. King's Quest 6 came on Twelve of them! Twelve!!!!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Linkyshinks
@jonnyboy said:

" You were lucky to have cartridges! If I had any I smell them all damn day! I had an Amiga, technically superior  in every way except one, the fact that games came on low density, single sided 3 and a 1/2 inch floppy disks. King's Quest 6 came on Twelve of them! Twelve!!!! "

Good to know, I feel less weird.

Haha, so did I, along with a C64 and Speccy, Speccy was my fave. A friend of mine owns a well known Speccy tribute site. 

@Emandudeguyperson,

That's not nerdology, that's art pure and simple.

@ Meteora

True, good point, but on a plus it was quite cool donning a carry case with carts, just like the evil dude in the Wizard, lol
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By vaiz

I actually DO kind of miss blowing cartridges, am I weird? Or seeing what kind of wacky shit happened when you took the cartridge slightly out in the middle of gameplay. Usually it just crashed the game, but occasionally weird shit happened. IE: In Ocarina of Time.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fuzzyponken

You really shouldn't blow in your cartridges...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Claude
@fuzzyponken said:
" You really shouldn't blow in your cartridges... "
Yeah, a nice alcohol swab does wonders. Moister is a bad thing, bad.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By vidiot
@Linkyshinks said:
"In fact I get mine out now and then and fondle them oddly... "
I don't think your cartridges appreciate that.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By vaiz
@vidiot said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
"In fact I get mine out now and then and fondle them oddly... "
I don't think your cartridges appreciate that.
"
Bad touch.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust

Maybe I am wrong.  I've never been a rocket scientist nor played one on TV, but didn't cartridges of at least a certain generation, have batteries in them and if the battery died you couldn't play the game any more?  I seem to recall seeing guide on the web that explained how to take apart carts and replace their batteries.  And, no I don't miss them since they are still around on the handhelds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chipset_Seven said:
" @Linkyshinks:  No, but Tempest 2000 was. "
Oh man, that sucks. best game on the Jaguar if you ask me.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By eroticfishcake
@PenguinDust: Sounds like a really old system or one that didn't do so well. I don't remember anything of the sorts though. Oldest console I've ever played was the C64 and that didn't need any batteries.
Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chipset_Seven
@TeflonBilly said:
" @Chipset_Seven said:
" @Linkyshinks:  No, but Tempest 2000 was. "
Oh man, that sucks. best game on the Jaguar if you ask me. "

It was probably the best game.  Heck, I even got into regular Tempest at the arcades.  Most of the other Jaguar games just weren't up to snuff.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I miss the instant (and some would say non-existant) loading times.

Makes me wonder why DLC takes so damn long to load sometimes...even if you're just playing an emulated Genesis title like Sonic and Knuckles.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fuzzyponken
@PenguinDust said:
" Maybe I am wrong.  I've never been a rocket scientist nor played one on TV, but didn't cartridges of at least a certain generation, have batteries in them and if the battery died you couldn't play the game any more?  I seem to recall seeing guide on the web that explained how to take apart carts and replace their batteries.  And, no I don't miss them since they are still around on the handhelds. "
Games that let you save had batteries in them. There weren't that many NES games with save games, but as I understand it those batteries lasted ridiculously long. A friend of mine recently got out his NES and popped Legend of Zelda in only to find his old savegames from 15 years ago was still there. I think SNES cartridge-batteries might recharge themselves when running on the console, but don't quote me on that.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bigandtasty

I miss cartridges just for the nostalgia of it. Not really for the functionality of it, though I do admit I preferred not having loading times while sacrificing that new-fangled "full motion video" thing.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41  Edited By Hector

Oh the good ol' days...Well I still have some cartridges here for the DS! :)