Caught in that awkward group in Sexism in Games argument?

• 73 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@mrangryface:

I'm now convinced that the problem many feminists have with video games is aggression and violence. There is no place for their view of positive female characters in modern action games.

The protagonist = Man with boobs, which means a woman who uses aggression and violence to solve problems.

Supporting role = Only there to help the man, has no real agency of her own.

Plot element = Woman becomes an object that only exists to give the man a goal, or motivation.

Supporting enemy = Encourages violence against women, man with boobs, makes women look bad.

Primary antagonist = Encourages violence against women, man with boobs, makes women look bad.

So yeah, as long as your game is violent, you literally can't help but being accused of sexism in one way or another. I'm convinced this is the sort of thing that led to the PAX panel about all of this going too far. Developers can't put a female or minority character in their game without that character being immediately placed under a microscope by every shitty game blogger on the internet looking for page hits, and that IS a problem.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@phished0ne:

Damn it. It's an event that happened before the the game itself, so we're lacking in context as to why they shot down his ride and who the aggressor is.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Darji

@spaceinsomniac said:

@mrangryface:

I'm now convinced that the problem many feminists have with video games is aggression and violence. There is no place for their view of positive female characters in modern action games.

The protagonist = Man with boobs, which means a woman who uses aggression and violence to solve problems.

Plot element = Woman becomes an object that only exists to give the man a goal, or motivation.

Supporting enemy = Encourages violence against women, man with boobs, makes women look bad.

Primary antagonist = Encourages violence against women, man with boobs, makes women look bad.

So yeah, as long as your game is violent, you literally can't help but being accused of sexism in one way or another. I'm convinced this is the sort of thing that led to the PAX panel about all of this going too far. Developers can't put a female or minority character in their game without that character being immediately placed under a microscope by every shitty game blogger on the internet looking for page hits, and that IS a problem.

Yeah that is the biggest issue I have no matter what character you portray these people always find something that fits a trope and is in their eyes sexist. I also love how Anita for example has the vision that a bad character trait for a women in video games is being shy why self confidence for her is only a good male trail. All we really need is much better writing nothing else and that goes for male and female characters. Personally I love cliche and corny stories as well as tropes but I also like "realistic" characters like a Noel or Ellie in the Last of us for example. We do not to change our industry but rather getting more variety in there and that goes for men and women.

There is no right representation of some group because if you do that you are really sexist by showing how people should be and rather forget the billions of people that are not like that.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By GreggD

@video_game_king said:

@shagge:

Was this all in some introductory cutscene that I somehow skipped? I just remember beginning on a rooftop and going down into the streets to shoot up pig people.

Loading Video...

@24 seconds "Damn those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my ride"

I'd also like to point out that in this video, the player opens fire first, but if you don't shoot, they always attack you. So yeah, kinda left with no choice here.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd:

Could be self defense. After all, we're dealing with somebody who has no problems advocating full on genocide.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Considering their plans, I think it's right to fucking destroy them.Nowhere do we ever meet a being from any of the alien races that advocates peace. So yeah, no Vortigaunt equivalents.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd:

He's not considering his plans, though. "Let God sort them out" means "I don't care if they're good or bad, I just want them all dead". Morality doesn't necessarily enter into that phrase, and I can't imagine it would enter into the mind of somebody using it unironically.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Clonedzero

Its duke fucking nukem. jesus christ guys....

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My position on sexism in games hasn't really changed since this whole thing started. I know it's an issue and I care, I really do, but ....ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhthisisthesoundofmeshruggingmyshoulders.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is my response from another thread on the same matter. I feel it applies just the same.

No matter how many debates and arguments occur about any given subject, all of us will never come to a single conclusion. While I agree it's still important to have conversations about subjects like this, in the end the only thing that matters is personal conviction and how we treat others on a personal level. Only then will a difference be made.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its duke fucking nukem. jesus christ guys....

Hush. We're having fun.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

These kind of evo-psych discussions I find super interesting. Best I heard was the idea of how a culture's food sources influence their 'preferred' forms of government.

Wait, hold up. What? Is that discussion available in text form anywhere?

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By casper_

Yeah I also feel kind of seperate in these arguments and while l support women's rights and trying to portray women in a more positive way and all that I feel like both sides can be extremely reactionary and ignore grey areas so I just tend to stay out of it.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrangryface:

true this.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Poppduder

I've never been both genders, so I find it really hard to see both sides of the sexism thing. I think its a tough thing for me to have any sort of opinion of, because I just don't think I can ACCURATELY empathize with a woman's perspective, though I can empathize.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This again?

are you fucking serious

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

This again?

are you fucking serious

Well, you do have to admit that the other current thread on the subject got more than a little derailed.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how many of you guys have arms like tree trunks like Marcus fenix?

Or are dashingly handsome and charming like Nathan Drake?

How about universe saving bravery like master chief?

Games are about playing fantasy, being something your not if i wanted to play as an average looking, dull guy in his mid-twenties i would play the sims with no cheats.

Ransnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So where do you dudes see sexism in games ?

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ransnack said:

The only thing that really annoys me is the sometimes ridiculous outfits women wear (ivy, soul calibur)

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like a R. Crumb game. That would make many heads explode.

Jagos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ransnack said:

The only thing that really annoys me is the sometimes ridiculous outfits women wear (ivy, soul calibur)

You do realize she's a noblewoman that just enjoys being sexy, right?