CES '09 Wrap-Up

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

In case you weren't paying attention to the Consumer Electronics Show last week...well, you didn't miss much. CES isn't for the game industry; the game industry tags along at CES, slides a few products and minor announcements in where there's space, then drinks itself into a four-day stupor before stumbling back to either coast in a drunken fugue.

With that rousing, sure-to-excite-you introduction, here's what you did miss!

Rock Band Happenings

Marketing synergy!
Marketing synergy!
Coming as a shock to few, Harmonix's Alex Rigopulos confirmed the company is focusing on its Beatles game this year in lieu of a new retail Rock Band product.

In way more invigorating Rock Band news, Engadget had the story on Sandisk's must-have Rock Band 2 Wii SD card (pictured at right), with its snazzy white casing, brand-heavy label, and insulting $6.49/gigabyte price-to-storage ratio. CES: Where important stuff happens!

For those who don't understand that any SD card will work in your Wii, the 2GB Rock Band 2 Secure Digital card will reportedly hold up to 75 downloadable songs -- or 2GB of anything, actually. For those in love with the logo (yes, we're talking to you), it'll ship this Spring for the low, low price of $12.99.

Reminder: price not actually "low, low."

inFamous Video, Interview

Sony was at CES, showing off LittleBigPlanet (out) and Killzone 2 (almost out). But in terms of games you haven't played at all yet and won't anytime soon, they also had the not-even-close-to-being-out inFamous, from Sucker Punch, of Sly Cooper fame. I'm pretty stoked about the game's mixture of Assassin's Creed-style urban traversal and over-the-top electrical superpowers (with some moral ambiguity and really nice-looking animated graphic novel-style cutscenes thrown in for good measure).

Anywho, a lengthy trailer and Sucker Punch interview both came out of CES, both of which I urge you to view with your eyes.

Fat Princess Walkthrough

While we're on the Sony tip, Gametrailers posted a pretty nice video walkthrough of Fat Princess, the silly-looking team-based something-or-other coming to the PlayStation Network. This is looking like one of the more promising PSN titles in the pipeline. (Here are parts two and three of the walkthrough.)

You have to appreciate any game that properly combines cartoon aesthetics with blood and guts. Not to mention rapid weight gain, a phenomenon I've become intimately acquainted with over the last month.

Kodu Unveiled

Microsoft upheld its penchant for repackaging popular trends (user-made content, in this case) with Kodu (previously: Boku), a downloadable Xbox 360 creation kit that lets you make games...or playgrounds, or...hell, I couldn't even figure it out from the snippet of press release in Jeff's story.

"Kodu" created playgrounds are expressed in physical action-reaction terms, using basic concepts like vision, hearing and time to control your character’s behavior. Players can start their own unique “Kodu” created playgrounds from scratch or, if they aren’t in the mood to create, they can choose from several pre-loaded levels for quick play. With almost 200 different game-creation building blocks to choose from, the opportunities are endless.

Um, yeah. You could just read Nick Chester's hands-on over at Destructoid, whence comes this quote.

Using the right analog stick, MacLaurin moves the camera, and the left stick controls a small "donut" cursor around for object selection and environment manipulation. He selects the UFO and presses "Y" to open the programing menu. The idea is simple, based on basic programming principals like "if this happens, then that happens." The difference here is that it's all very visual, and as MacLaurin put it, the game won't let you really make any wrong moves -- you'll never get a programming "error."

As an example, MacLaurin pulls up the tools and creates a simple script based to make the UFO interact with an apple. Everything is spelled out in physical, easy-to-understand terms for a non-programmer; there are variables or constants, no abstract terms to confuse the user. In this instance, the script is basic: if the UFO "sees" the apple, then it "eats" the apple. The fancy stuff happening behind-the-scenes in Roku [sic] means it knows exactly what to do, with no further instructions.

OK, that does sound pretty neat, actually.

Big (?) Xbox Live Updates

Actually Greenberg, not actually CES.
It must speak to CES' relevance that my most favorite news to come out of the whole shebang was Xbox big daddy Aaron Greenberg's acknowledgement to Joystiq that the 100-person friends list limit may actually increase in the future. Finally!

I can't commit to when that will happen, but that is something we want to do. It's definitely something we're looking at expanding and, as this social network grows, we've absolutely heard the pleas for that. It's on the list.

That would be a Good Thing. There's nothing sadder than having to figure out who you're going to sacrifice every time you want to add someone new. At least Facebook has the courtesy to give you a free Whopper for every tenth deletion.

There was also the confirmation that Xbox Live Primetime, the big online game show thing that slipped from the NXE launch, will be out this spring. Great news if you're eager to see how 100-player games are going to work on Xbox Live, I suppose.

Yeah, that's about all I've got. We originally intended to run this story on Friday, since it felt a little weird to run a wrap-up story only halfway through a major tradeshow. Then the show proceeded to occupy the weekend without generating any further interesting game-related news. CES: Miss it!
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

In case you weren't paying attention to the Consumer Electronics Show last week...well, you didn't miss much. CES isn't for the game industry; the game industry tags along at CES, slides a few products and minor announcements in where there's space, then drinks itself into a four-day stupor before stumbling back to either coast in a drunken fugue.

With that rousing, sure-to-excite-you introduction, here's what you did miss!

Rock Band Happenings

Marketing synergy!
Marketing synergy!
Coming as a shock to few, Harmonix's Alex Rigopulos confirmed the company is focusing on its Beatles game this year in lieu of a new retail Rock Band product.

In way more invigorating Rock Band news, Engadget had the story on Sandisk's must-have Rock Band 2 Wii SD card (pictured at right), with its snazzy white casing, brand-heavy label, and insulting $6.49/gigabyte price-to-storage ratio. CES: Where important stuff happens!

For those who don't understand that any SD card will work in your Wii, the 2GB Rock Band 2 Secure Digital card will reportedly hold up to 75 downloadable songs -- or 2GB of anything, actually. For those in love with the logo (yes, we're talking to you), it'll ship this Spring for the low, low price of $12.99.

Reminder: price not actually "low, low."

inFamous Video, Interview

Sony was at CES, showing off LittleBigPlanet (out) and Killzone 2 (almost out). But in terms of games you haven't played at all yet and won't anytime soon, they also had the not-even-close-to-being-out inFamous, from Sucker Punch, of Sly Cooper fame. I'm pretty stoked about the game's mixture of Assassin's Creed-style urban traversal and over-the-top electrical superpowers (with some moral ambiguity and really nice-looking animated graphic novel-style cutscenes thrown in for good measure).

Anywho, a lengthy trailer and Sucker Punch interview both came out of CES, both of which I urge you to view with your eyes.

Fat Princess Walkthrough

While we're on the Sony tip, Gametrailers posted a pretty nice video walkthrough of Fat Princess, the silly-looking team-based something-or-other coming to the PlayStation Network. This is looking like one of the more promising PSN titles in the pipeline. (Here are parts two and three of the walkthrough.)

You have to appreciate any game that properly combines cartoon aesthetics with blood and guts. Not to mention rapid weight gain, a phenomenon I've become intimately acquainted with over the last month.

Kodu Unveiled

Microsoft upheld its penchant for repackaging popular trends (user-made content, in this case) with Kodu (previously: Boku), a downloadable Xbox 360 creation kit that lets you make games...or playgrounds, or...hell, I couldn't even figure it out from the snippet of press release in Jeff's story.

"Kodu" created playgrounds are expressed in physical action-reaction terms, using basic concepts like vision, hearing and time to control your character’s behavior. Players can start their own unique “Kodu” created playgrounds from scratch or, if they aren’t in the mood to create, they can choose from several pre-loaded levels for quick play. With almost 200 different game-creation building blocks to choose from, the opportunities are endless.

Um, yeah. You could just read Nick Chester's hands-on over at Destructoid, whence comes this quote.

Using the right analog stick, MacLaurin moves the camera, and the left stick controls a small "donut" cursor around for object selection and environment manipulation. He selects the UFO and presses "Y" to open the programing menu. The idea is simple, based on basic programming principals like "if this happens, then that happens." The difference here is that it's all very visual, and as MacLaurin put it, the game won't let you really make any wrong moves -- you'll never get a programming "error."

As an example, MacLaurin pulls up the tools and creates a simple script based to make the UFO interact with an apple. Everything is spelled out in physical, easy-to-understand terms for a non-programmer; there are variables or constants, no abstract terms to confuse the user. In this instance, the script is basic: if the UFO "sees" the apple, then it "eats" the apple. The fancy stuff happening behind-the-scenes in Roku [sic] means it knows exactly what to do, with no further instructions.

OK, that does sound pretty neat, actually.

Big (?) Xbox Live Updates

It must speak to CES' relevance that my most favorite news to come out of the whole shebang was Xbox big daddy Aaron Greenberg's acknowledgement to Joystiq that the 100-person friends list limit may actually increase in the future. Finally!

I can't commit to when that will happen, but that is something we want to do. It's definitely something we're looking at expanding and, as this social network grows, we've absolutely heard the pleas for that. It's on the list.

That would be a Good Thing. There's nothing sadder than having to figure out who you're going to sacrifice every time you want to add someone new. At least Facebook has the courtesy to give you a free Whopper for every tenth deletion.

There was also the confirmation that Xbox Live Primetime, the big online game show thing that slipped from the NXE launch, will be out this spring. Great news if you're eager to see how 100-player games are going to work on Xbox Live, I suppose.

Yeah, that's about all I've got. We originally intended to run this story on Friday, since it felt a little weird to run a wrap-up story only halfway through a major tradeshow. Then the show proceeded to occupy the weekend without generating any further interesting game-related news. CES: Miss it!
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Fat Princess looks like it could be a comic gem this year. Looks funny and disgusting at the same time.

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By musdy

LUKE!!!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By papercut

Me want fat princess

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Orange

$12.99 for a 2GB SD card? I thought that was cheap...

Avatar image for fire_marshall_bill
Fire_Marshall_Bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fat princess, hmm, great for shade in the summer and warmth in the winter

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7  Edited By damnboyadvance

Wow. Even a 2GB flash drive costs at least $15 usually.

marcio1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By marcio1986

Wow fat princess looks very simple and fun.

imight get it, i just hope they dont make a very high price on it.
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Hector

Fat Princess looks fun and simple to play

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By daniel_beck_90

There was no mention about Prototype 's new trailers  , new demos for Resident evil 5  and Dark void  in this  Wrap-Up !!!!! which is weird because those were probably the hottest gaming news at CES 2009  !!!!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

So they just took a regular SD card and put a sticker on it?

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy wants Fat Princess. Now.

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Garfield360UK

Fat Princess looks awesome, its a shame I dont have a PS3 as otherwise I would play it. Is this going to be a PSN only title or will we see it arrive on Steam and other networks?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scooper

Kodu looks cool.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

repackaging of popular trends? you then link user generated content to your own awards which the winner was LBP.
But do a lil research first.

Boku/Kodu was announced before Little Big Planet by a month actually.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

The one thing I'd do with 1 vs 100 is attempt to play a game with everyone of my friends list.  Unfortunately I don't have 100 friends and I certainly don't have 100 friends who would be bothered to play this simultaniously.

Avatar image for deactivated-6071c19eec72a
deactivated-6071c19eec72a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm calling it right now

Fat princess will be GOTY 2009

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By giyanks22

Nice wrap up

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Snipes424 said:
"I'm calling it right now

Fat princess will be GOTY 2009"
yeah the game does look good.
Avatar image for alucardalacarte
AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

That trailer for inFamous actually made me want to play it a lot less...it looks like Crackdown without the variety.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru

Kodu looks kinda cool, it seems like it may be easier to grasp for more people than the creation tools of LBP.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By McQuinn

Fat Princess, one to look out for.

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Duckbutter

i thought playing GT5 and Motorstorm in 3D seemed like interesting gaming news.

jonb1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jonb1

fat princess? Srsly? lol

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By destro

I liked more of the Tech that was shown of then the games. The phone/watch is a cool concept, but really, and truly..dumb, you would look like an idiot talking to your watch and its just pointless really. You already have a clock on a phone..why would you even need a watch or a phone on your watch? its just getting out of hand, another way to scam some money from people

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

Fat princess looks odd and unfunny

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zityz

Fat Princess looks fun, I hope it comes to Steam or something, playing that on PC would rule.