Changing your opinion on a game post-playing

Protoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Protoman

Is it all right to change your views on a game, based on certain comments you read after you've finished it?
 I mean, are we still analyzing and enjoying the experience at that point - or are we just being influenced by people, that perhaps dissected the thing too much? 

I recall that I started hating heavily on Warrior Within after I played it (and liked it), simply because I've heard so many negative comments floating about.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, probably not a good idea. I think you're basically just letting other people influence your opinion at that point. Though, they might bring up some valid points, but I'd try not to let it sway your own opinion too much.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Diamond

Well you can't base your views on a game on what someone says, but if they pointed something out that changed your view...

What if they pointed something out that makes it clear that replaying the game wouldn't be fun?

I believe our views on games constantly evolve even if we're not listening to others.

Protoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Protoman
@Diamond: 

I was thinking more along the lines of -- pointing the artistic direction, symbolism and musical complexion -- or the lack thereof.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Diamond
@Protoman: That stuff is always up to interpretation and any evaluation of that sort of thing by anyone but the viewer themselves is absolutely worthless.
egads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By egads

i think there is a reason why reviewers dont read other reviews before theirs is out, which is because it will invariably taint their experience of the game and make the review less genuine.  But, in some cases maybe some reflection is OK.  For instance, when you read a book and you dont understand, say, a certain sub-plot and what it means, but then it is explained to you and you get why ti fits the way it does, that makes the book more enjoyable.  The same might be said of video games, but who knows, I dont think they are that complex yet.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

Only if somebody points out something that, after you think about it, makes sense.

egads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By egads
@natetodamax: 

Ya, exactly.  Like, you "get" something that you didnt understand before.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9  Edited By damnboyadvance

No, not really. I mean, if you are going to review a game, you should do right after you finish a game. Changing your view on a game after that is just being influenced.

It's already to go back and edit something after you review it, in my opinion, as long as it doesn't effect the score.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Tuggah

It depends on how, if someone brings up legit problems with the game maybe you didn't notice or didn't fault them for, then that could change you're view on the game. But just hearing comments like "This game is the sucks" or "More like Fags of War" then that shouldn't taint you're views.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By trophyhunter

you liked the game you liked the game 
someone you don't know saying it sucked should not change that 
I love dynasty warriors and the million people saying "you just press one button" does not change my love for the game 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akeldama

its what happened to me with bioshock. I rented it, got like an hour in, didnt like it much, took it back. 

Bought it a year later, finished it, fucking loved it. 

Way she goes I guess.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Adamantium

If, after reading comments, you notice things that you didn't notice before, sure, it may change your opinion of the game and that's alright. But I'd have a hard time believing anybody would honestly go from giving a game a 10/10 to giving it a 6 or 7 based only on what other people had to say about it. Games are about the experience, IMO. If you enjoy it, what difference does it make how good/bad certain aspects of it are? 

Example: it blew my mind when I realized that GTA was made by British folks, and some of the stereotypes that it plays on can actually be offensive if I felt they were painting all Americans that way. But there's just nothing that can take away from the enjoyment I get out of the gameplay and satire that it still has to offer, so I don't let it sway my opinion of the game... maybe just the folks that developed it.