Character REGRESSION? Is that a thing?

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alphonzo

It seems nearly every game has some form of character progression (upgrading, leveling, etc.), but has any game ever forced you to become weaker  over time? I don't mean starting out strong only to lose everything and then gain it back, like in Metroid games.  I'm just curious, because I think some really cool, or really stupid stuff could be done if developers implemented something like this into their games.  Has anyone ever seen this?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Certain variations of the popular Gun Game gametype on Counter Strike start you off with powerful weapons and for every 1-3 kills you do, the weapon downgrades a level, and eventually you're stuck with a glock.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By handlas

mmm maybe only in the form of giving you a really good gun and then taking it away.  Half-life 2 did this I think.  Gave you a gravity gun that killed guys instantly and then took it away.  Killzone 2 gave you a ilghtning gun that killed everything in sight and then took it away. 

That's all that comes to mind other than Darksiders, for example, where you start out with all your powers and like 5 minutes later it takes them all away.  But that has happened in a quite a few games.

toolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toolus

I can't think of any game that does it in the way your describing but if done right I think that could be a really interesting mechanic.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli
@Alphonzo said:
" It seems nearly every game has some form of character progression (upgrading, leveling, etc.), but has any game ever forced you to become weaker  over time? I don't mean starting out strong only to lose everything and then gain it back, like in Metroid games.  I'm just curious, because I think some really cool, or really stupid stuff could be done if developers implemented something like this into their games.  Has anyone ever seen this? "

Elder Scrolls : Morrowind

My character got the HIV or something along the lines and slowly grew weaker and weaker - until he died. I never played that POS game again.

It's part of the main quest. But I got the illness by exploration, without having the quest. I had no idea what's going on.

God, did I hate that game!
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Mrnitropb

Benjamin Button: The Game?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

I know there are examples where you are awesome at the outset, have all your powers/ stuff stripped from you and spend the rest of the time reaquiring it. I cant think of any instances where you just get worse and worse through a game.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By raviolisumo

This thread reminded me of the Idle Thumbs podcast where they talk about the mod "Neo Tokyo". It's a multiplayer shooter where you gain xp. You lose it for friendly fire. Apparently it's hard to distinguish friend from foe, as one of them talked about accidentally killing their teammates until all they had was a pistol. You buy weapons with xp. I think they ended up with -xp.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bubahula

i guess abiliteasing does not count?

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MadeinFinland

well.. Some games take away exp if you die. That counts, right?

It would be a pretty cool idea though. But it would be extremely hard to make that fun.

EDIT; OH WAIT! Far Cry 2. Technically, you get weaker and weaker, because of Malaria. AHA!

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alphonzo
@Seppli said:
" @Alphonzo said:
" It seems nearly every game has some form of character progression (upgrading, leveling, etc.), but has any game ever forced you to become weaker  over time? I don't mean starting out strong only to lose everything and then gain it back, like in Metroid games.  I'm just curious, because I think some really cool, or really stupid stuff could be done if developers implemented something like this into their games.  Has anyone ever seen this? "
 Elder Scrolls : Morrowind  My character got the HIV or something along the lines and slowly grew weaker and weaker - until he died. I never played that POS game again.  It's part of the main quest. But I got the illness by exploration, without having the quest. I had no idea what's going on.  God, did I hate that game! "
That's dirty.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@toolus said:
" I can't think of any game that does it in the way your describing but if done right I think that could be a really interesting mechanic. "
Of course, it would have to match the mood of the game. Maybe start off as an all-powerful emperor who, over time, loses the will of the people, and halfway through the game, has to win them back from the hands of a somehow-even-worse emperor?
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Andorski

Shinobi on the PS2 had a mechanic where you were constantly draining health as you played through the level.  You had to kill enemies so that their souls would be drained instead.  That game was fuckin' frustrating.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Steve_C

Shadow of the Colossus kinda does it, but not in any mechanical sense that affects what you can do.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This approach to things isn't very popular with game designers. Abiliteasing works because the player gets to play around with some awesome abilities or weapons for a bit to get a sense of how fun they are and then when they're taken away the player is more enthused to work their way towards getting those weapons/abilities back. When you give the player a bunch of awesome powers and then just start one by one stripping them of them, as they progress through the game the player receives no sense of reward for overcoming opponents, they feel constrained in the amount of abilities at their disposal and in general having all those things that seemed really cool just straight out taken away makes the game seem increasingly "lamer" to the player as they progress.