#1 Posted by LackingSaint (1698 posts) -

Playing through the Walking Dead a second, it struck me that Clementine is one of only two mixed-race black/asian character in games that I can think of (the other being Alyx Vance). It got me thinking about how little we really see characters in games (and most media) with mixed ethnic backgrounds. What examples can you guys think of? Do you think this kind of thing really matters, and do you think it's happening more and more over time?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

You could've just said "non-white characters". Anywho, doesn't Chell count as non-white?...............This thread's gonna go in a worrying direction fast, isn't it?

#3 Edited by Hailinel (22708 posts) -

This is a fantasy example, but Terra's biracial background in Final Fantasy VI is a major part of the story.

#4 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

Ethnic backgrounds in general are so fucking rare already - you want mixed ethnic backgrounds?

#5 Edited by LackingSaint (1698 posts) -

You could've just said "non-white characters".

Not really. Black and asian characters are scattered throughout plenty of games, even if they're dwarfed in number by white people. I'm more talking about mixed-race characters in games, which are exceptionally rare.

#6 Edited by Superkenon (1191 posts) -

Like, every damn character in Final Fantasy 9. What is going on there.

#7 Edited by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

Specifically mixed? I'm not sure I can tell that from most videogame graphics. I feel like there's probably a bunch, but just like like real-life it doesn't always come up in conversation and I can't always tell what the mix is.

But I do hope this becomes a HUGE "in videogames" "issue".

#8 Posted by Jesna (66 posts) -

Ken Masters from Street Fighter is 3/4 Japanese 1/4 American.

#9 Edited by Hunter5024 (5170 posts) -

I didn't realize they established an ethnicity for Clementine.

#10 Posted by wjb (1551 posts) -

Tiger Woods from those golf games.

#11 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4439 posts) -

First one that comes to mind is Nilin fro Remember me. She had a caucasian father and an african amercian mother.

#12 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

Spock is half human / half vulcan.

#13 Posted by mosespippy (3735 posts) -

@professoress: It may not come up in conversation in everyday life but video games are different. If a writer is going to include a mixed heritage as part of a character's background then it's going to be a topic of conversation in the game. If it isn't explicitly stated then how would we know? Why would the writer decide the characters background if it never gets brought up? It would just be extra work for him.

Crossbreed Priscilla is half dragon and half human, does that count?

#14 Posted by LackingSaint (1698 posts) -

I didn't realize they established an ethnicity for Clementine.

You see a picture of her parents in the first episode; her mother is asian while her father is black.

#15 Posted by Veektarius (4147 posts) -

Colin Kaepernick

#16 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

As a non-american I am not sure if "mixed" people are an ethnicity at all. They are americans (or other nations citizen) with differnet skin tones. In contrast think about the last time you saw an kazakh, tamil, aborigini or amerindian person in a video game.

#17 Posted by DonChipotle (2655 posts) -

Nilin from Remember Me is biracial.

#18 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (2596 posts) -

Big Bo - Half Big, Half Bo.

#19 Edited by Kermity (74 posts) -

Connor from Assassin's Creed 3 was pretty unique with half European / half Native American heritage.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

@lackingsaint:

It's still disconcerting to say that mixed-race heritage is "unusual".

#21 Posted by LackingSaint (1698 posts) -

@lackingsaint:

It's still disconcerting to say that mixed-race heritage is "unusual".

In the context of the world at large? Yeah, I guess, although it's still far more rare for people to have parents of different ethnicities than have parents of the same ethnicity. In the context of a game? It's absolutely correct to refer to it as unusual, considering how rare an occurence it is.

You might be confusing my use of "unusual" (synonymous with "uncommon") with another use of "unusual" (synonymous with "strange" or "weird"). I can understand the worry if that's the case.

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

You might be confusing my use of "unusual" (synonymous with "uncommon") with another use of "unusual" (synonymous with "strange" or "weird"). I can understand the worry if that's the case.

Yea, that's it. I'd replace "synonymous" with "connoting", but whatever. Semantics.