• 87 results
#51 Posted by MEATBALL (3498 posts) -

Thanks for the amazing effort, Hailinel.

#52 Posted by csl316 (9490 posts) -

I'm down with Shepard and York.

But Ellie!!!

#53 Posted by TheHT (11809 posts) -

This one seemed like a real doozy to manage.

#54 Posted by Jeust (10860 posts) -

@random45 said:

Well, this poll has proven to me that Giantbomb wouldn't know what a good character was if it hit them straight in the face, but at least the final results are amusing.

Have you played the games where the these characters appear?

#55 Posted by BeachThunder (12434 posts) -

Woo! Thanks for putting in all the effort to do this :D

#56 Posted by LackingSaint (1856 posts) -

@jeust said:

@random45 said:

Well, this poll has proven to me that Giantbomb wouldn't know what a good character was if it hit them straight in the face, but at least the final results are amusing.

As someone who has, I can totally let GLaDOS and Shepard win their categories but Andrew Ryan is just the clear winner for the male category. York is neat, but nobody this Generation has commanded such an atmosphere and presence as Andrew Ryan.

#57 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

People: "Hey we want more awesome female Characters as Protagonists"

People vote for Robot.......

#58 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@darji said:

If we're going that route I'll play devil's advocate and say that people calling a female robotic voice the best female character of the generation is a damning indictment of how poor females are represented in videogames and a sign why people want "more awesome female characters as protagonists"

#59 Posted by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

Having York and Glados win warms my heart. Ridiculous. XD

#60 Posted by Flappy (2356 posts) -

It's okay, y'guys! We'll get better female protagonists when the next Metroid game comes out!

#61 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

@darji said:

If we're going that route I'll play devil's advocate and say that people calling a female robotic voice the best female character of the generation is a damning indictment of how poor females are represented in videogames and a sign why people want "more awesome female characters as protagonists"

But we had great female characters this year and Ellie was the best and maybe is the best real female protagonist this industry ever had. Maybes that is why I am so upset about this thing....

#62 Edited by BBAlpert (1579 posts) -

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite poll on Giant Bomb.

#63 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5101 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Shepard winning best generated character is a joke, but the other two seem perfectly reasonable!

The Boss got robbed big time.

#64 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Glad to see Francis York Morgan won! I was hoping for Geralt but FYM is another good choice.

#65 Edited by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@darji said:

@freshbandito said:

@darji said:

But we had great female characters this year and Ellie was the best and maybe is the best real female protagonist this industry ever had. Maybes that is why I am so upset about this thing....

that's just like your opinion man, I personally didn't find any draw to the last of us characters and think they brute forced any emotional response they wanted from their audience rather than making characters that I actually found interesting. In portal 2 Glados is expanded upon and I can see a case for people's enjoyment of her portrayal.

I'd hazard a guess that more people played portal than played last of us and will vote on the fact they've experienced one and not the other.

#66 Posted by mrfluke (5350 posts) -

i find it hilarious and awesome that york won.

#67 Edited by Random45 (1284 posts) -

@jeust said:

@random45 said:

Yes, I've actually played every game from the winning categories for a change!

There should have been an additional poll for best supporting male and female characters, and then you could have dumped all of the Mass Effect characters into there, since calling them the best female/male characters of the gen is ridiculous. Furthermore, Commander Shepard shouldn't have been in the generated character bracket, s/he is WAY too fleshed out relative to every other character in that bracket, and by the third game you can hardly even call Shepard your Shepard anymore due to how little control you get over her/him.

I loved the shit out of Portal, the first and second game, but I don't know if I'd call GLaDOS the best female character - ignoring the fact that she's a robot, (because people who claim that takes her out of the bracket are being assholes), she has one gimmick throughout both games. It's a very well done and very funny gimmick, and she does receive development in the second game that fleshes her out, but still, relative to someone like Ellie (who I think I probably should have voted for now, my bad), she just doesn't compare.

And York... You know what. I have no qualms with York winning male lead character. That is just so GiantBomb, that it's funny.

#68 Edited by Yummylee (22575 posts) -
@alexandersheen said:

@yummylee said:

Shepard winning best generated character is a joke, but the other two seem perfectly reasonable!

The Boss got robbed big time.

When viewed as the only alternative to Shepard, sure. But I would ideally have preferred The Warden from Dragon Age: Origins take it.

#69 Posted by BigJeffrey (5110 posts) -

female vs robot

#70 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Thank god its finally over

#71 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

How was Father-Mother's bracket determined?

#72 Edited by themangalist (1748 posts) -

@tycobb said:

There's going to be 10 threads? Couldn't it just be one massive poll?

This. The most recent posts section was all "X of the generation" for a while and god did that make GiantBomb look like one of them click-bait video game websites.

Thank god its finally over

#73 Edited by dr_mantas (2069 posts) -

Well... So that was that.

#74 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@mrcool11 said:

I just flipped a coin.

@darji said:

@freshbandito said:

@darji said:

Best "real" female protagonist? Not sure what you're getting at there. I haven't played The Last of Us and have little to desire to, but she doesn't seem, on the surface level at least, to be that much of a different character concept from Clementine; a young girl that you're prodded into feeling protective of and sorry for.

@hailinel: I love you so much for that Picture of shepard. Hahaha.

I originally made that picture back during the whole Mass Effect 3 ending blow-up as part of a joke. It just seemed too perfect not to use again here.

#75 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

@hailinel: She is far from that. She swears like a Sailor, does what she thinks is right and is not the helpless little girl. Especially in the last part of the game (Winter) If you never want to play this game which is a shame go watch a lets play of this. Then you can see why I think that Ellie in one of the best Female characters and protagonists this industry has ever created. In fact the characters in The last of Us are all really really great with no real exception. Be it the homosexual Bill or the black characters (forgot the names since I am really bad with names...) The female characters or the "villain" of this story. They are just fantastic.

#76 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@darji said:

@hailinel: She is far from that. She swears like a Sailor, does what she thinks is right and is not the helpless little girl. Especially in the last part of the game (Winter) If you never want to play this game which is a shame go watch a lets play of this. Then you can see why I think that Ellie in one of the best Female characters and protagonists this industry has ever created.

I could just as easily argue that GLaDOS is a well-realized female character for her pitch-perfect sarcasm, humor and sociopathy tied to all of the backstory elements that became evident in Portal 2. The elements of Ellie you've cited (Cursing, doing what she thinks is right, not being helpless) could define any number of female protagonists over the years.

#77 Posted by NTM (7546 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@mrcool11 said:

I just flipped a coin.

@darji said:

@freshbandito said:

@darji said:

Best "real" female protagonist? Not sure what you're getting at there. I haven't played The Last of Us and have little to desire to, but she doesn't seem, on the surface level at least, to be that much of a different character concept from Clementine; a young girl that you're prodded into feeling protective of and sorry for.

@demoskinos said:

I originally made that picture back during the whole Mass Effect 3 ending blow-up as part of a joke. It just seemed too perfect not to use again here.

Ellie, on the part of 'feeling protective of' does have that in the game, but not from a gameplay perspective, but later in the game, for Joel because of how he gets along with her and how she reminds him of his daughter. Did I spoil too much? Eh, you should play the game. She does swear a bit often, and that could turn some off, but to me she's a great female character.

#78 Posted by mosespippy (4465 posts) -

York winning is absolutely the wrong choice guys. Francis Zach Morgan should have won.

#79 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

I really dont think any of these deserve to be the winners, but whatever. Well maybe shepard as best generated.

#80 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@ntm: It's all right. If anything, I won't play the game because I'm not interested in how it plays, not because of its story and characters.

#81 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

yeah, sure. Not bad picks. Both Deadly Premonition and the Portal series leaned pretty heavily on those characters. They made the game stand out.

Shepard, I don't know. I guess he/she was more than an empty shell at least mostly thanks to the two excellent voice actors.

#82 Posted by NTM (7546 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@ntm: It's all right. If anything, I won't play the game because I'm not interested in how it plays, not because of its story and characters.

Hm. That's unfortunate, but OK. I do wonder what it is about the gameplay that doesn't interest you.

#83 Posted by Winternet (8055 posts) -

Wait, so the generated character finals was Mass Effect guy versus Dark Souls guy? How original, giant bomb.

#84 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

#85 Posted by Castiel (2743 posts) -

That was about the weak-ass results I expected from this community.

#86 Edited by armaan8014 (5453 posts) -

Haha agreed!

Great results! Happy that Geralt made it to the later stages and York and Shepard would be my next picks. Good job :D

#87 Edited by Jeust (10860 posts) -

@jeust said:

@random45 said:

As someone who has, I can totally let GLaDOS and Shepard win their categories but Andrew Ryan is just the clear winner for the male category. York is neat, but nobody this Generation has commanded such an atmosphere and presence as Andrew Ryan.

I can see your point, but personally Andrew Ryan never really connected with me, as I didn't really like Bioshock. But I can see him being a contender for the prize.