#1 Edited by AestheticSynthesis (414 posts) -

Has anyone played a game and simply loved it, but hated everything about the character you were playing as?

For me that would be Star Fox 64. Furries in space are not cool, but the gameplay and boss fights kind of balance it out.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (22039 posts) -

MGS2 because Raiden is big super-gay!!...Well now that that's out the way. 
RE4, Leon was such an annoying putz in that.
#3 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

It would have to be Pokemon Trainer in the Pokemon games. Sure, you wished that pidgey failed to fly him from Cerulean to where-ever-the-hell in mid-flight and he fell to a harsh cruel death, possibly breaking every bone in his spine, but at the end of the day he's catching Pokemon which was awesome.

Gotta Catch em all.

#4 Posted by Dysnomia (689 posts) -

Well, in RE4 when you have to play as Ashley for like 10 minutes if that counts.

#5 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

I'm kinda feeling that way about Darksiders right now. I don't really like a lot of the characterisation. I know it's not really supposed to be the most elegant and mature storyline, but honestly, some of War's dialogue is absolutely laughable, and he has a complete inability to answer a simple goddam question.

On a similar note, Alex Mercer from Prototype annoyed the hell out of me, and I wasn't a fan of the Prince in the 2008 PoP retcon-whatever game, but I liked both those games.

#6 Posted by calum_s_gunn (74 posts) -

Vaan in Final Fantasy XII. He wasn't even supposed to be the 'main' character until Square Enix decided that, after focus tests, a decidedly feminine hero would be more popular. I fucking love that game though, so I put up with his whiny moaner moaning.

#7 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -
  • Steiner FF9 - WHAT is this guy, decent skills though
  • Kilik - Soul Calibre, what the fck are you wearing, the alternative costume.. fair enough but u look a bit of a bender.. great to use though!
  • Ash in Vandal hearts - Ash lambert at your service :S, when you get the vandalier though.. watch out
  • Squall FF8 - Gay, quistis should of got it!
  • Mario - Why a plumber, I just never really understood why?
#8 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -

Kratos - he's such a one dimensional douchebag. All of his dialogue is just him yelling the names of various Gods. "Zeus!" for example. It only gets worse in GoWIII. But I can't deny it's fun playing as him and killing all them skellingtons.

#9 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" MGS2 because Raiden is big super-gay!!... "

Yeah, I gues thats why he had a girlfriend he impregnated.
#10 Posted by ProfessorEss (7444 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Abyssfull said:

Yeah, I gues thats why he had a girlfriend he impregnated. "
It's called "a beard" Bob.
#11 Posted by Yummylee (22039 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
"@Abyssfull said:

Yeah, I gues thats why he had a girlfriend he impregnated. "

...I was being sarcastic much? >.>
#12 Posted by PassiveKaerenai (326 posts) -

Kaim from Lost Odyssey. He stopped being cool as soon as they started trying to make him likeable.
At that point he no longer had an excuse for his ridiculous clothes and I lost all interest.

#13 Posted by masterpaperlink (1850 posts) -

rayman is pretty lame but he was fun to play as 

#14 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2474 posts) -

Lara Croft 

I hate what she symbolizes - hyper-sexualized female characters in the mass media leading to all kinds of problems, from lack of self-esteem to bulimia. Yet it's strangely fascinating watching her get all wet and dirty and move around like a hooker. Tomb Raider games are kinda pervy.

#15 Edited by Lawrens (688 posts) -

Young Dante in DMC3 comes to mind.

#16 Posted by DickDanger (105 posts) -

Simple white-guy-in-the-military characters from military FPS's.
#17 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

Wario in Super Smash Bros Brawl.  He annoys the hell outta me for some reason, but the fact that he has a motorcycle and I can make him chomp people keep me from not trying him all the time.

Maybe I don't hate Wario.

#18 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
@AestheticSynthesis said:
" Has anyone played a game and simply loved it, but hated everything about the character you were playing as?  For me that would be Star Fox 64. Furries in space are not cool, but the gameplay and boss fights kind of balance it out. "
An anthropomorphic animal is not a "furry". A furry is a person who thinks they are in some way related to animals.

That said, no, I have not played a character I hate. I hate them, why would I play as them?
#19 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

Raiden in MGS2 was bland. Him being feminine had nothing to do with it. In fact, were he not feminine, he'd be one of the most bland characters I've ever seen in a video game.

That being said, he is fantastic in MGS4.

#20 Posted by PenguinDust (12550 posts) -

Tails.  He can hover/fly and that's kind of cool but, ugh so damned annoying. 

#21 Posted by Lowbrow (840 posts) -
@atomic_dumpling said:
" Lara Croft 

I hate what she symbolizes - hyper-sexualized female characters in the mass media leading to all kinds of problems, from lack of self-esteem to bulimia. Yet it's strangely fascinating watching her get all wet and dirty and move around like a hooker. Tomb Raider games are kinda pervy. "
Yea well your crooked penis with eyes avatar offends my male sensibilities. 

I love Earthworm Jim.
#22 Posted by uniform (1836 posts) -

Ken - Street Fighter II

#23 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Agent 47