• 61 results
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vaxadrin

So Cheap Ass Gamer has a contest for users to post rumors and see if a gaming blog would post them.

It worked.

A CAG user posted this on their blog:

...and Kotaku posted this:

Desz over on Cheap Ass Gamer recently posted a blurry snapshot of what appears to be an internal Microsoft memo dealing with an Xbox 360 name change.

The memo, seen above, appears to suggest that this particular, model I suppose, of the Xbox 360 was once codenamed Xbox Xbox Lean or Xbox Granite and that the final name should be Xbox Pure.

I'm also intrigued by the comment that "metal plates" have been disregarded. Judging by the codenames and final name, it seems to suggest that this would be a stripped down version of the Xbox 360. Could this be Microsoft's answer to Sony's slim line of consoles? Are we soon going to be seeing a new, thin 360 with only disc-based game support and no harddrive? I'm sure, if this rumor is true, we will be finding out in the next month.

But then, realizing they had been played, they got butthurt. :(

UPDATE: It appears that this rumor story could be CAG throwing their credibility out the window as part of a contest. Kotaku''s decision to run rumors is always based on the credibility of the site and the information contained within it. In the past CAG has proven to be a reliable site, having broken a number of stories through apt reporting. It appears that may no longer be the case.

*Price Is Right loss music*
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I imagine CAG really doesn't care, as they get fronted by everyone anyway. What a great gag. It's Kotaku that takes the brunt of the punishment from this XD

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Just proves Kotaku's failure even more. I mean, seriously, Kotaku is a joke. I love how they blame CAG and say they are not credible anymore.

Kotaku for the lose.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By breton

They posted a rumor, as a rumor, and the it didn't happen to be true... Don't see the problem.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kush

Kotaku is an absolute joke of a site. I got banned for pointing out some misspellings...YAY! I submit an interview with the voice of the Prince in PoP:SoT and that isn't news worthy, but their personal emails are post worthy. I hate that site and hate that they're so "big".

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vaxadrin
breton said:
"They posted a rumor, as a rumor, and the it didn't happen to be true... Don't see the problem."
There isn't really, but it was funny that it played out exactly how they expected, and that Kotaku declared CAG as having no credibility as a result.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
Kush said:
"Kotaku is an absolute joke of a site. I got banned for pointing out some misspellings...YAY! I submit an interview with the voice of the Prince in PoP:SoT and that isn't news worthy, but their personal emails are post worthy. I hate that site and hate that they're so "big"."
I got banned for calling out Luke Plunkett one day after he posted the most incredible troll article sometime ago. Seriously. I mean that dude is always a complete douchebag, but he stepped way over the line. I don't even remember what it was though.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By RedSox8933

i was reading this like an hour ago and thought, this can't be true.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I actually side with Kotaku on this one.  They presented it as a rumor, and that's what it turned out to be.  Kotaku depends on people mostly telling the truth and not making up goofy shit for the sake of making up goofy shit.  Sometimes the rumor is false, other times you hear about something long before it's officially announced.  And still other times they report actual news, and present it as actual news. 

Now joystiq reporting that "Cliffy B" defended Too Human using "his GiantBomb.com account blog" is an example of something that should be laughed at.  CAG intentionally screwing with Kotaku, not so much.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By albedos_shadow

I heard about the contest on the new CAGCast, but I didn't think it would actually work...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
SpaceInsomniac said:
"I actually side with Kotaku on this one.  They presented it as a rumor, and that's what it turned out to be.  Kotaku depends on people mostly telling the truth and not making up goofy shit for the sake of making up goofy shit.  Sometimes the rumor is false, other times you hear about something long before it's officially announced.  And still other times they report actual news, and present it as actual news. 

Now joystiq reporting that "Cliffy B" defended Too Human using "his GiantBomb.com account blog" is an example of something that should be laughed at.  CAG intentionally screwing with Kotaku, not so much."
Actually, it's funny as hell.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kush
Jayge said:
"I got banned for calling out Luke Plunkett one day after he posted the most incredible troll article sometime ago. Seriously. I mean that dude is always a complete douchebag, but he stepped way over the line. I don't even remember what it was though."
Here is a link to a story about my Banning...I may not have sugarcoated it, but so what. Kotaku Hates Me.

Kotaku Loves Personal E-Mails.
ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZeroCast
Kush said:
"Jayge said:
"I got banned for calling out Luke Plunkett one day after he posted the most incredible troll article sometime ago. Seriously. I mean that dude is always a complete douchebag, but he stepped way over the line. I don't even remember what it was though."
Here is a link to a story about my Banning...I may not have sugarcoated it, but so what. Kotaku Hates Me.

Kotaku Loves Personal E-Mails."
They banned you because you said the right thing. A senior editor that can't write a sentence correctly, that's laughable.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JakJ

Lots of Kotaku hate here. I'm a star commenter there, and frankly Im glad they ban so many people. It keeps the converstations civil and thoughtful, with a minimum of stupid fanboys, kids, trolls, tools, etc. I mean I love GB, but it is NOT the place to go if you wish to have an uninterupted civil converstation about games. Most people are cool, but there are always idiots, and at least Kotaku attempts to filter them out.

Also, where do you think most of your gaming news breaks? It's a blog, not a website like IGN, GB, etc. That being said I think Crecente went a bit overboard. As I said, it IS only a blog.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JakJ
Jayge said:
I got banned for calling out Luke Plunkett one day after he posted the most incredible troll article sometime ago. Seriously. I mean that dude is always a complete douchebag, but he stepped way over the line. I don't even remember what it was though."
You know he does that on purpose to weed out people like you right? Every article he writes for Wii, DS, PSP, PS2, PS3, 360, Xbox, etc always includes some inflamitory sentances to bring the fanboys out of hiding. Everyone else gets a chuckle out of it, but the fanboys freak out, reveal themselves, and get banned.
4D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 4D
Kush said:
"Kotaku is an absolute joke of a site. I got banned for pointing out some misspellings...YAY! I submit an interview with the voice of the Prince in PoP:SoT and that isn't news worthy, but their personal emails are post worthy. I hate that site and hate that they're so "big"."
caption
caption
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
JakJ said:
"Lots of Kotaku hate here. I'm a star commenter there, and frankly Im glad they ban so many people. It keeps the converstations civil and thoughtful, with a minimum of stupid fanboys, kids, trolls, tools, etc. I mean I love GB, but it is NOT the place to go if you wish to have an uninterupted civil converstation about games. Most people are cool, but there are always idiots, and at least Kotaku attempts to filter them out.
Also, where do you think most of your gaming news breaks? It's a blog, not a website like IGN, GB, etc. That being said I think Crecente went a bit overboard. As I said, it IS only a blog.
"
You really think Kotaku is that much cleaner than most other places? There's a 50/50 chance you won't be called an idiot or get completely contradicted in the very first reply to your own comment. It's a terrible site to try to have a conversation on. Star commenters don't even post anything useful most of the time. They're just kiss ups (sorry if you're not one of those).

JakJ said:
"Jayge said:
I got banned for calling out Luke Plunkett one day after he posted the most incredible troll article sometime ago. Seriously. I mean that dude is always a complete douchebag, but he stepped way over the line. I don't even remember what it was though."
You know he does that on purpose to weed out people like you right? Every article he writes for Wii, DS, PSP, PS2, PS3, 360, Xbox, etc always includes some inflamitory sentances to bring the fanboys out of hiding. Everyone else gets a chuckle out of it, but the fanboys freak out, reveal themselves, and get banned."
I've had conversations with him. He's not that smart. I'm not a fanboy, and the thing I was responding to wasn't even a game I cared about, I don't think. I just saw him going too far and called him out on it. They don't read your stuff here you know. You can stop sucking up.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JakJ
Jayge said:
"JakJ said:
"Lots of Kotaku hate here. I'm a star commenter there, and frankly Im glad they ban so many people. It keeps the converstations civil and thoughtful, with a minimum of stupid fanboys, kids, trolls, tools, etc. I mean I love GB, but it is NOT the place to go if you wish to have an uninterupted civil converstation about games. Most people are cool, but there are always idiots, and at least Kotaku attempts to filter them out.
"
You really think Kotaku is that much cleaner than most other places? There's a 50/50 chance you won't be called an idiot or get completely contradicted in the very first reply to your own comment. It's a terrible site to try to have a conversation on. Star commenters don't even post anything useful most of the time. They're just kiss ups (sorry if you're not one of those)."
You see it one way, I see it another way I guess. I don't mind being contradicted at all, it's just the way someone does it. I think fear of the banhammer makes people a lot more respectful towards each other there than on other sites, and I enjoy having a respectful conversation/discussion/debate a lot more than a disrespectful one.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vaxadrin

I'm still not convinced there's a place where one can have a respectful, intelligent conversation on the internet.

...you faggots.

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By GiantGUS

Yes, but Joystiq does it much better and professionaly.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Axersia

Absolutely hilarious. I was considering entering the contest myself, but forgot about it eventually. I did see a few other CAG users trying to pull it off through forum posts (re-release of the GBA SP, for example) but I guess forum posts were just a tad too ghetto for Kotaku.

In any case, enjoy your prize Desz, you deserve it.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By tokyochicken

Ya thats probably one things wrong with kotaku, if you make one negative comment your gone. As to this recent news abotu this, wow wtf kotaku i suppose they trusted the site enough to post without questioning them. 

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brukaoru
JakJ said:
"Lots of Kotaku hate here. I'm a star commenter there, and frankly Im glad they ban so many people. It keeps the converstations civil and thoughtful, with a minimum of stupid fanboys, kids, trolls, tools, etc. I mean I love GB, but it is NOT the place to go if you wish to have an uninterupted civil converstation about games."
I still see many fanboy and troll comments on Kotaku without them getting banned. Kotaku hates anyone who doesn't kiss their behinds or they ban them. If the top editor of the site can't even spell/grammar check his posts, that is ridiculous. Also, why does Kotaku post their personal e-mails? Why not make a separate section for those kinds of postings instead of them appearing in the front page? Also, yes they say they are a blog, but then they make themselves out to be hypocrites when their journalism integrity is questioned. Any one gets banned for saying, "how is this news? What is the source of this?" Really? Yeah sounds like civil conversations happen there, when you can't even point out a spelling mistake without getting suspended. That is ridiculous.

That's just my opinion though, if you enjoy going to Kotaku, then by all means don't let anyone stop you.
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By albedos_shadow

I totally agree that Joystiq is at least 10 times better than Kotaku.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vaxadrin

What's 10 multiplied by 0?  Oh snap!  That's right, I went there.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thumbs up to Cheapy D and CAG. That was possibly the best contest ever.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By brukaoru
Vaxadrin said:
"What's 10 multiplied by 0?  Oh snap!  That's right, I went there."
Joystiq lost a lot of credibility for me when they thought "CliffyB" was actually Cliff Bleszinski and made a news story out of it, but I still like them better than Kotaku.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JakJ
brukaoru said:
"JakJ said:
"Lots of Kotaku hate here. I'm a star commenter there, and frankly Im glad they ban so many people. It keeps the converstations civil and thoughtful, with a minimum of stupid fanboys, kids, trolls, tools, etc. I mean I love GB, but it is NOT the place to go if you wish to have an uninterupted civil converstation about games."
I still see many fanboy and troll comments on Kotaku without them getting banned. Kotaku hates anyone who doesn't kiss their behinds or they ban them. If the top editor of the site can't even spell/grammar check his posts, that is ridiculous. Also, why does Kotaku post their personal e-mails? Why not make a separate section for those kinds of postings instead of them appearing in the front page? Also, yes they say they are a blog, but then they make themselves out to be hypocrites when their journalism integrity is questioned. Any one gets banned for saying, "how is this news? What is the source of this?" Really? Yeah sounds like civil conversations happen there, when you can't even point out a spelling mistake without getting suspended. That is ridiculous.

That's just my opinion though, if you enjoy going to Kotaku, then by all means don't let anyone stop you."
Go in the article this topic is about and look at all the people making fun of them, and none of them are banned. 
I think you're talking about the Day/Night notes. They only show up twice every 24 hrs, and are just a fun break from the rest of the news. They also help everyone, not just the editors, get caught up with what's happened in the past 12 hours. I've also never seen anyone get banned for pointing out a mistake/typo unless they were dick about it. What it boils down to is that it is their site, and they can run it how they please. They don't want a bunch of asshats wasting comment space going 'first!' and 'how is this news?' and all the other crap that plauges other sites. Some people are cool with that, and some aren't, and get banned. As for being hypocrites, I can see how you'd think that. Crecente used to be a real jouranlist at a real print newspaper, so I think that kind of stuff is just ingrained in him. Most of the other editors don't seem to care as much. I agree with that point though.
Your last sentance sums it up nicely though. Find a place you like and stick there. I personally love Kotaku's no BS attitude, as it fits well with my own. Oh, and I got my star for handing out MGS Online beta codes to fellow Kotakuites, not kissing their ass.
Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Boiglenoight

Man, aside from this site, Shacknews.  Them > all other newsy sites.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By tokyochicken
keef said:
"Man, aside from this site, Shacknews.  Them > all other newsy sites."
Yeah shack news is awesome mainly because aaron linde is there and its awesome! lol
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Milkman

I got banned from Kotaku about 3 months ago. I have no idea why I was banned. I had only posted about 8-10 comments at the time I was banned. Nothing that I remember being too bad. I even e-mailed them to find out why I was banned and have been waiting for that response for the past 3 months.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ParanoidFreak

So, if this was a contest what did the guy that made that letter win?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brukaoru
JakJ said:
"Go in the article this topic is about and look at all the people making fun of them, and none of them are banned. 
I think you're talking about the Day/Night notes. They're just a fun break from the rest of the news, and gives personality to the people behind the site. They also help everyone, not just the editors, get caught up with what's happened in the past 12 hours. I've also never seen anyone get banned for pointing out a mistake/typo unless they were dick about it. What it boils down to is that it is their site, and they can run it how they please. They don't want a bunch of asshats wasting comment space going 'first!' and 'how is this news?' and all the other crap that plauges other sites. Some people are cool with that, and some aren't, and get banned. As for being hypocrites, I can see how you'd think that. Crecente used to be a real jouranlist at a real print newspaper, so I think that kind of stuff is just ingrained in him. Most of the other editors don't seem to care as much. I agree with that point though.
Your last sentance sums it up nicely though. Find a place you like and stick there. I personally love Kotaku's no BS attitude, as it fits well with my own. Oh, and I got my star for handing out MGS Online beta codes to fellow Kotakuites, not kissing their ass."
We'll agree to disagree... To each their own I say.

That's mighty nice of you to give out beta codes to other people.
AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AaronBelfast
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I wonder how Xox 360 Pure will be different? I am quite intrigued.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jayge_
Milkman said:
"I got banned from Kotaku about 3 months ago. I have no idea why I was banned. I had only posted about 8-10 comments at the time I was banned. Nothing that I remember being too bad. I even e-mailed them to find out why I was banned and have been waiting for that response for the past 3 months."
Send them about 4 more, dude. It took me 5 for some Gawker media guy to tell me to stop "posting one liners and insulting editors". I don't remember ever posting a one-liner more than once a week or so. Oh well.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By giyanks22

thats crazy

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kush
JakJ said:
"
Kotaku doesn't have civil conversations on there. They are just as bad as any other site, if not worse. I've seen comments that lead to some absolute horrible images/videos, but those comments don't even get deleted. It's an utter joke.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Dalai

I had to do it.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JakJ
Kush said:
"JakJ said:
"
Kotaku doesn't have civil conversations on there. They are just as bad as any other site, if not worse. I've seen comments that lead to some absolute horrible images/videos, but those comments don't even get deleted. It's an utter joke."
We must be going to different sites then. I've been there over two years and remember very few incidents. And Kotaku NEVER deletes comments, the idea being they serve as real-world example of how not to behave.
You know, I wonder why some of you even signed up to comment on the site if you hate it so much.
Avatar image for aneternalenigma
AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

Nobody goes to Cheap Ass Gamer for video game news anyways. They go there looking for deals.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vaxadrin
AnEternalEnigma said:
"Nobody goes to Cheap Ass Gamer for video game news anyways. They go there looking for deals."
Sounds like Kotaku found a RAW DEAL.

HAHAHA Oh man, I'll be here all night, folks.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Vaxadrin said:
" I'll be here all night, folks."

FUCK!
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vaxadrin

You know you want to gay up half these threads with me, Biff.  Don't act like there's a better way to spend a Friday night.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jayge_
Vaxadrin said:
"You know you want to gay up half these threads with me, Biff.  Don't act like there's a better way to spend a Friday night."
There is. Gears of War bombing run!
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Vaxadrin said:
"What's 10 multiplied by 0?."

0!
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vaxadrin
Jayge said:
"There is. Gears of War bombing run!"
I've got a date with an obnoxious teenage hipster and an absurd amount of illicit drugs so I'm gonna have to pass.
DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DXSSI

I have to side with Kotaku on this one.  They reported it strictly as a rumor, and it's true that CAG is not known for doing this kind of thing.  However, pranks happen and Kotaku should have a sense of humor about it.  Nonetheless, if anyone should take the fall here, it's CAG.

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Keano

Good, fucking kotaku needed to get slapped

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JakJ
Vaxadrin said:
"Jayge said:
"There is. Gears of War bombing run!"
I've got a date with an obnoxious teenage hipster and an absurd amount of illicit drugs so I'm gonna have to pass."
Well, at least we have one thing in common!