#1 Posted by Garrick_Greathouse (55 posts) -

A few months ago on the podcast Jeff was talking about a piece of software he bought. It was like a Game Genie or Action Replay for PC games. I can't remember what the name of the software was or the episode it was mentioned. Any guesses?

It's paid software, if that helps.

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11846 posts) -

I don't know the specific software, but you can use Cheat Engine, which is free.

#3 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

what you do how?

#4 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

I don't know the specific software, but you can use Cheat Engine, which is free.

When it comes to "cheating" that's all I've heard Jeff mention in a previous Bombcast. 
I remember him talking about CheatEngine but I can't recall him talking about buying a cheating software.  

Why would anyone buy that type of software anyway? 
Do people like that also go out and by Anti Malware programs because the free version told them to? Heck, the same people probably bought WinRAR
#5 Posted by Snail (8595 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Yeah, Jeff talked about this on a podcast once.

#6 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

And I recall Jeff mentioning that it ruins games effectively since you can give yourself everything the game will only be fun for a little while (in this state of having everything) before it will be tough to keep generating interest in playing it through another time.

#7 Posted by Garrick_Greathouse (55 posts) -

Cool! Thanks for the info. I hade cheat devices on all my old consoles before the idea died out in 2005. I love breaking the games too see what happens.

I picked up the THQ Humble Bundle. I already beat Saints Row on the 360, so I wanted to see what kind of nonsense a cheat creator could generate. XXL cars? Rifles that shoot buildings that shoot people shooting rockets?