Chicago duders: Anyone want to go to Patrick's TedX talk?

• 57 results
subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, come to my PAXX. It'll be held in my garage. There will be a CRT hooked to an SNES and a fridge full of beer.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By jimmy_p

@missacre: social injustice crusader, pretty popular these days

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@iamjohn said:
@nictel said:

@lively: Maybe but I always find the "We want equality so we're going to host our own event where no one else is allowed." a bit strange.

Yes, because I'm sure they had a big old "NO BOYS ALLOWED" sign on the door. It's not like the idea was to have a women's issues panel with a bunch of speakers who are focused on women's issues because most places either don't care about or don't want to talk about those issues or anything. Clearly it was, as it always is, about being exclusionary and only letting a specific group of people in. Just like all minority groups, in fact!

Oh but who are we kidding? You don't actually feel excluded and probably never would have gone in the first place. You're just making an issue of it for making an issue's sake.

On topic: I also hope this gets taped.

I was kind of talking in general.. And it is not an issue for me just something I notice (in general with some groups) and find strange. Of course it is bad if they feel they must hold a specific event for it but in this case I don't see why this can't happen at a "regular tedx" but hey what do I know.

I'm a white western male, I rarely feel excluded. It is more that I don't want others to feel excluded -> Having your own "minority" events increases those chances. And no you are right I probably won't go there but if I am at a general Ted(x) event and someone is speaking about it chances of me going there are much higher.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Oh boy. Can't have a conversation about Patrick without children screaming about him.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By MikkaQ

@subyman said:

Hey guys, come to my PAXX. It'll be held in my garage. There will be a CRT hooked to an SNES and a fridge full of beer.

Shit that sounds better than the real thing to me.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

@iamjohn said:
@nictel said:

@lively: Maybe but I always find the "We want equality so we're going to host our own event where no one else is allowed." a bit strange.

Yes, because I'm sure they had a big old "NO BOYS ALLOWED" sign on the door. It's not like the idea was to have a women's issues panel with a bunch of speakers who are focused on women's issues because most places either don't care about or don't want to talk about those issues or anything. Clearly it was, as it always is, about being exclusionary and only letting a specific group of people in. Just like all minority groups, in fact!

Oh but who are we kidding? You don't actually feel excluded and probably never would have gone in the first place. You're just making an issue of it for making an issue's sake.

I thought the opposite. If I were a self-respecting woman I'd think it's condescending to be told that I'm part of some weak collective that needs its own little support group/talk event.

This. I wouldn't be caught dead at one of those "feminism empowerment" talks or whatever the fuck they're called these days. I really don't see this "patriarchy" or "oppression" these femitards are talking about. I've never once felt "oppressed by the patriarchy," because there's really nothing to be "oppressed" about, we've never been freer in all of human history than we are these days.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

@erhard said:

@iamjohn said:
@nictel said:

I thought the opposite. If I were a self-respecting woman I'd think it's condescending to be told that I'm part of some weak collective that needs its own little support group/talk event.

This. I wouldn't be caught dead at one of those "feminism empowerment" talks or whatever the fuck they're called these days. I really don't see this "patriarchy" or "oppression" these femitards are talking about. I've never once felt "oppressed by the patriarchy," because there's really nothing to be "oppressed" about, we've never been freer in all of human history than we are these days.

I'm glad to hear you feel that way, but I don't think that nonsense words like "femitards" help your argument.

Still, I'm of the opinion that people should be aware of the realities of sexism, and then should do their best to completely forget about them until it's best to do otherwise. Yes, sexism exists, but you're not going to be doing yourself any favors to suspect it in all facets of your life, or to always assume it to be the situation at each first possible appearance. This goes for feminists AND male rights advocates.

Most importantly, people should never ignore the subjectivity of any possible sexism accusation. And of course, when confronted with actual sexism, both genders should fight that shit tooth and nail.

markonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By markonfire
@darson said:

OP wants to kidnap 4 lucky people.

Dang! Foiled again.