• 128 results
clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By clarkers

This day has been rough, to put it lightly. We were all caught off guard by the horrible news, and no matter what, I haven't stopped thinking about it all day. I've never posted much, even though I've been visiting and supporting the site for years. I know that the Giantbomb community spans the entire globe, so it's crazy to think that you're the only one in your area who feels like shit today. With that idea in mind, I think we should create Meetup threads for our respective areas to pay tribute to Ryan the best way we know how: getting drunk, stupid, and laughing our asses off together.

I live near Chicago, so I'm wondering if anyone else in the area would be open to the idea of a Meetup. Whether it's at a bar, restaurant or abandoned parking lot, who cares. I think it would be fun to gather as a community and remember Ryan together.

It's been a day, so I'll just leave it at that.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: FULL EVENT DETAILS BELOW!

When: July 19th, 7:00pm

Where: Headquarters Beercade - 950 W. Wolfram, Chicago IL - http://hqbeercade.com/

Age: 21 and over. I did try another arcade that was all ages, but they were booked solid for quite awhile, and didn't have a good space to meetup. I'll try harder for all ages next time, promise!

How Much: Entry is free, but we have a private area for the group, so if you can pitch in $10 you will have my eternal gratitude and love!

What to bring: Yourself, memories of Ryan Davis, and the will to laugh.

How to find us: We will be in one of the private areas, just ask for the Ryan Davis reservation, and you'll find us.

Extra Details: I created a Facebook event if you'd like to RSVP. https://www.facebook.com/events/508214782578791/

Also, huge thanks to @cannonballbam for showing me how to properly edit a damn meetup thread. Man is a genius ;)

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dungbootle

If Patrick feels up to it, you should invite him too. I don't think he has anyone else there to talk to about this.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

If Patrick feels up to it, you should invite him too. I don't think he has anyone else there to talk to about this.

I would make sure to not bug him about it though, Also he has a wife, and might have already talked to Jeff by phone. But his wife probably didn't have the same relationship that he had with Ryan, and Patrick and us, internet people, probably share a lot of the same stories.

Just remember that some people like to be left alone to grieve.

dahnosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd be down some time later this week.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sparklykiss

I'm in the Indianapolis area, best feasible time for me would be next week at the earliest, could black (or pink) out a bar with some FRD and CDC shirts.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

I'm 5 hours away from Chicago.

...but if Patrick was hosting, and it was on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, I'd try my best to show up. One night in a hotel is a small price to pay to have a drink with my favorite community.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ima tag him to this thread @patrickklepek.

if he's up for it im sure he'll sound off here or write something up on the site about doing something like that.

if not (and very understandably so) then just do a local thing among the people in your thread here.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

This bums me out to no end, but Chicago is a 26-hour bus ride from Montreal. I regretfully would not be able to attend but I sincerely hope it does happen. Maybe I should organise one in the Montreal area...

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By turbo_toaster

I will just throw out Niagara Falls as an alternate option. There are many cheap hotels here (I mean...real fucking cheap. Too cheap.). The city is built for tourists, lots to do and beautiful scenery. Buffalo is right across the bridge, shuttles go back and forth regularly. Hit me up on Twitter (@TurboToaster) if you guys might want to go that route, I do not mean to take away from the Chicago idea at all! Just an option for ya's. ^_^

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mbdoeden

Chicago is 8 hours from me and a MegaBus ticket is no more than 70 bucks (usually). I'm down. It would be nice to drink, share some stupid GB fan inside jokes and laugh with some fellow duders sometime soon.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So glad to hear that other GB peeps would want to meet up. To address some of the posts, since we are in Chicago, I would love to see if Patrick has any interest in joining us, but only if he feels up to it. We all have our own grieving process, and I will always respect that. I was looking to possibly meet up this Friday the 12th, if that works for people. If not, we can move things around to make it work. I think I found a good place, a bar called Emporium, which specializes in craft beer and arcade games.

http://emporiumchicago.com/

If anyone else is interested, shoot me a message, reply to the thread, or give me a shout through twitter @Mike_Alfus

As for our brothers in the Great White North, feel free to join us in Chicago, but the ultimate spirit of this thread was to start a meetup in your own areas, maybe even make some new friends in the process. I know there are Giant Bombers in Toronto, or even up in the Falls. Start a thread! Reach out!

Let's show our support for Ryan and the Bomb Squad world wide.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@aurahack said:

This bums me out to no end, but Chicago is a 26-hour bus ride from Montreal. I regretfully would not be able to attend but I sincerely hope it does happen. Maybe I should organise one in the Montreal area...

man you're lucky. I live all the way in India and I wish I could be there :(

kdm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clarkers, I'd be definitely interested in a Chicago Meetup. Just a heads up that Emporium is a fun place, but with that comes quite a bit of popularity. Friday and Saturday nights can be tough, even with getting a table for an event. I'd recommend considering that it start on Saturday afternoon.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KDM,

Thanks for the heads up about Emporium, as I haven't been there myself. A buddy told me about it, and it sounded perfect, but I can see how a place like that could fill up pretty quick. The only issue from my end is that Friday night is really the only time that works for me this weekend, this side of Sunday evening. But, that being said, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, so we can do what works the best for everyone. I did email Emporium about a possible party of 25 (just an estimate, who knows) so we'll see what they say to that.

Like I mentioned in my first post, it doesn't matter to me where we meet up. We could always find a good dive bar that might be a bit less crowded and still have a great time. I'm with you though, I'd rather not fight elbow to elbow to share a drink with fellow Bombers.

Again, suggestions welcome!

Avatar image for gamecommaperiod
gamecommaperiod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emporium is great, but I agree with kdm. About noon or so would be best. It will be pretty much empty. Some friends and I did this a couple months ago and we had the run of the place until 5 or 6. Headquarters is another solid choice, but Emporium has a better game selection.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamecommaperiod,

Any idea how Headquarters would look on a Friday around 8:00pm? I know that most places will be pretty busy, but it's worth a shot to check.

I wish my time wasn't so limited this weekend, but I want to make sure this event is open to as many people as possible, even if that means I can't attend

Strife381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need one in Los Angeles. I need to be around my own kind

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I'd definitely be down for this! I live about 40 minutes outside of the city. I don't spend a ton of time there, though, so I don't really have any good suggestions for a place to meet up.

gamecommaperiod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clarkers, I haven't been on a Friday so I can't speak to how it will look. My availability this weekend is also extremely limited. Unless anyone wants to get together Sunday afternoon.

Alternatively, we could set something up for next weekend. That might give everyone a little space to plan. Thoughts?

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need one in Los Angeles. I need to be around my own kind

Agreed.

jotap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm from a different country and more relevant continent but I hope you guys can do it. I'm in Portugal and I think I will not have much luck here but my spirit is with you guys. Make it happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac
deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey all. Headquarters is recently opened. I was there about two weeks ago on a Friday and it was relatively packed. Room to move but every machine had a person at it. Its been a bit since Ive been to emporium but I want to say it would be best to start before 8 or 9. Let me know as I am down for meet up and live in Logan.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Chicago meet up could be a good time. I'm in the southern suburbs so I might be able to make it.

Have you guys thought about Galloping Ghost Arcade in LaGrange? It's usually not that crowded and is a pretty good time. No food or drinks though, but theres a few good bars across the street. Just a thought.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By _Phara0h_
No Caption Provided

@azraeill: After seeing your avatar I made this

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in Lake County, and I'm down for a meetup. Unfortunately, Saturday nights and Sundays are the only days I'm free from work. If something more solid comes together, hit me up and I'll be there. I could sure use a drink...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkers said:

This day has been rough, to put it lightly. We were all caught off guard by the horrible news, and no matter what, I haven't stopped thinking about it all day. I've never posted much, even though I've been visiting and supporting the site for years. I know that the Giantbomb community spans the entire globe, so it's crazy to think that you're the only one in your area who feels like shit today. With that idea in mind, I think we should create Meetup threads for our respective areas to pay tribute to Ryan the best way we know how: getting drunk, stupid, and laughing our asses off together.

I live near Chicago, so I'm wondering if anyone else in the area would be open to the idea of a Meetup. Whether it's at a bar, restaurant or abandoned parking lot, who cares. I think it would be fun to gather as a community and remember Ryan together.

It's been a day, so I'll just leave it at that.

Thoughts?

I couldn't help but laugh at that part. I just feel like I'd get mugged xD

But for me I live in Cleveland, Ohio. And I don't go to the bars there. Mostly because they have the type of crowds I don't like.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, looking at the feedback from everyone, I think pushing the event back to the weekend of 7/19 seems like the best call. I contacted Emporium and Headquarters, both of which responded without hesitation for a reservation for 20-30 people (there can of course be more). For my money, I think Headquarters might be our best bet, as they recently added a bunch of pinball machines, and it seems bigger than Emporium.

http://hqbeercade.com/

For the weekend of 7/19, that Friday evening works well for me, but I think I could make Sunday afternoon / evening work as well. Saturday the 20th is booked for me, unfortunately. Big thanks to Gamecommaperiod and KDM for helping with venue and schedule suggestions. In the end, I want this to work out so as many people as possible can come. By moving things back a bit, people from the surrounding areas can make plans to come into the city, and we'll pay tribute to Ryan with as many Bombers as possible.

Wherever we end up, the reservation name will be Ryan Davis, and we should come up with an easy way to identify ourselves. Giantbomb apparel always works, but for those who don't have any (me) we should come up with another way to go. I'm open to pretty much anything, as this get together is for all of us.

Really glad this is coming together, and we'll make it happen.

Thanks Gents.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will make that weekend work. Pitchfork is next weekend but I will miss whatever day for meet up. Thanks duders.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in. I live in the city and have never been to Headquarters; can't be a better reason to finally check it out. Plus it's right off the Brown line, so I don't have to drive and can pay my respects accordingly.

gamecommaperiod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkers: Everyone should wear something nice. Like polo's and shorts on all.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamecommaperiod: bah! I don't have shorts... Or polo. I'm a man of pants and tshirt/button ups.

Also 7/19 would be great I'll be on vacation that whole week and will be downtown most of the time. Any work on Scoops?

Nerolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Patrick mentioned doing one soon, like some time this summer. Definitely collab with him to get one rolling this summer, but don't try to double up or roll over the one he was going to plan (in my opinion).

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By daggon55

I'm in the western burbs and am totally down for this if its on the weekend of the 19th. Let me know if you need to pass the hat to handle the reservation and\or set up some kind of bar tab, I'd be glad to chip in.

gamecommaperiod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: I work down the street from Galloping Ghost, but have never been. Brixies across the street is a good dive bar. There's also a Metra stop a half mile away. I think it would be great for a future meet up on a Saturday.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I will be out of town for a wedding on the 7/19, but please have a couple drinks for me!

@mightyduck: I work down the street from Galloping Ghost, but have never been. Brixies across the street is a good dive bar. There's also a Metra stop a half mile away. I think it would be great for a future meet up on a Saturday.

That's what I was thinking for a future meet up. It could be a good time. Brixies is exactly the bar I was thinking of. I've been there quite a few times when my buddy's cover band has played there.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerolus: we can always double up, if he can't make no biggy. Also the more love for Ryan the better!

joebillmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp: oh the bars aren't that bad in Ohio City!

Would anyone be interested in a Cleveland meet up in parking lot to pour out some Diet Cokes and yell CHINA DON'T CARE some?

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually sent Patrick a comment last week asking about a meetup here, there is an awesome large arcade with a bar and Mexican food across the street, pretty perfect for all ages.

gallopingghostarcade.com

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

I'm down, I'll make the trip down as long as I have some warning

gamecommaperiod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can let Patrick know time and place if he's interested, but I'm sure he's got plenty going on.

This doesn't have to be to only meetup this summer anyway. Unless, the lot of you are total assholes. Then we should get together more often.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cannonballbam

I would like to do one for the DC/Virginia/Maryland area if anyone is interested?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShaggE

Would anybody be into a PA meetup? Specifically the south central area?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

ThreePi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went to Headquarters for the first time a little over a week ago with my brother. Originally went to play pinball, but turns out a lot of their older machines are in pretty rough shape.

But the one thing there that stood out was this lone Tapper machine. I was going to Tweet a picture of it to Ryan, but my phone was dead. First time I ever played Tapper.

langdon_alger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i may try to make it, I'm in the NW suburbs (Lake County area). would love to meet up with some other fans, swap some psn/steam ID's.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By clarkers

I'm really excited to see that so many people are going to come out for this. The more people respond, the more the weekend of the 19th seems like our best bet. For those who can't make it out, as others have said, this is just the first of many Chicago Bomber meetups. If you're busy, no worries, we can always hang out, shoot the shit and throw a few back. If Patrick is also planning something for later this summer, I'm sure duders will come out in droves, so think of this as a test run ;)

On that note, I did plan on inviting Patrick to our event, once we get a date and time nailed down. I'm not going to pester or badger, just simply let Patrick know that we're getting together to show our support, and he's more than welcome to come if he feels up to it.

I was also thinking that it would be nice to do something to show our support to the rest of the crew in the Giant Bomb offices. One idea I had was to print out a large poster that says "Love Ryan Davis" in the same lettering as the FRD shirt, the pink on the black background. As people arrive, we can all sign the poster, and then mail it into the GB office after the meetup to show our support. I know it's small, but it might give the guys a reminder that they have our support, no matter what.

This is OUR event, so if anyone else has ideas on what we might be able to do, feel free to share!

This is shaping up to be something amazing, and I'm just glad to be a part of it.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

Northern suburbs here, Waukegan specifically. I'd be so down for this.