• 128 results
daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By daggon55

@clarkers: How about board games? Can bring some simple stuff if the venue is ok with that. I'm sure most of us have a Cards Against Humanity set to bring. Maybe people can write some custom Giant Bomb themed cards to bring too. Maybe do something like everyone makes their own Ryan Davis themed black card to bring.

Edit: Or maybe not I don't know, I'm now thinking what that might look sound like and I don't want to be disrespectful in that way. I'm not a good judge of things like this, would it be a too soon, too far kind of thing?

Edit2: No, that's a bad idea I'm sorry I brought it up. But we should still play some regular CAH.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

7/19 sounds great. I can definitely do that Friday evening. I work all day Sunday on that day and it would be pretty hard to get those hours switched with someone, but if that ends up being the date, I'll try my hardest.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@clarkers: The weekend of the 19th sounds good for me, but I couldn't make it on Friday. Saturday though! If you guys get anything finalized, DM me!

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@daggon55 I think Cards Against Humanity sounds like a great idea. Even thought it might be a bit morbid at times, I think that's just the kind of stuff that Ryan would love to see, wherever he is. Now, that may just be the way I think. If anyone is opposed to Cards, that's fine, and we'll avoid playing it. Plus, we'll need to see what the atmosphere of the bar is like, might be hard to hear each other at times. My thoughts, bring a Cards deck if you'd like, and we'll play it by ear.

It seems like there's a decent toss up between Friday and Saturday. I know that Saturday wouldn't work for me due to prior plans that I can't change, but what's the general feeling about Sunday? We could always start a bit earlier in the afternoon?

As always, love to hear your thoughts.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By toowalrus

I could make it on a Sunday. In fact, that'd probably be the best day for me. I know this sounds stupid considering the circumstances, but I'd love to meet @patrickklepek. I'd be interested, regardless.

EDIT: It IS a 5 hour drive from the middle of Michigan though, so if anyone wants to split a hotel room, let me know. I'm totally not creepy or anything.

aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm within driving distance here in Cincinnati, OH, so I could make that work, possibly. Depends if Patrick is in for it as well, I suppose

kdm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clarkers, I'm game. Just keep in mind, as with coordinating anything, your best bet is put it a bit further into the future. Given this past week's event, everyone wants to move for something a bit more quickly, but it's probably best that there's appropriate time for planning and notice. Just a thought from the sidelines, but I'm personally up for whenever.

k

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn! I was born and raised in Glenview and have been looking for a reason to visit home, but I may not be able to swing this so quicky. Would be so down.

TheBostonPops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkers:

I've been to both HQ and Emporium frequently - HQ is actually smaller than Emporium (although HQ is expanding, I don't know if they've finished doing that yet) but Emporium on a weekend night is PACKED because of where it is (tail end of Wicker Park). I've ran pub crawls and had work parties at Emporium and they've ALWAYS been swallowed up by the crowd, never room to do anything. I haven't been to HQ on a weekend night so it might not be any better, but their games are at least free, their beer selection is way better, and it's in a quieter neighborhood (so more likely to be less packed/more street parking for those who drive).

I might be in the minority but I can only do Fridays really, so Friday the 19th would be super rad for me. If not, that's totally fine and I love all of you local duders that I've never met (or maybe have met but never realized).

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'd go, I'm in Chicago.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By clarkers

@thebostonpops Thanks for the insight on HQ and Emporium. From what I know, HQ has finished their expansion, and the pictures on their website make it look pretty big.

@kdm I'm glad to hear you're on board. I know it's a bit quick, but we did at least push it back to next weekend. I've heard from a few people that Patrick might be planning something for later this summer, which I'm sure will bring out a lot of peeps from the site. I wanted to get together with local Bombers relatively soon, because I know this has been hard for all of us. At the same time, I know that if we plan for something further down the line, we can get more people to come out and show their support. In my eyes, we can still do both!

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Evanston and would be interested to meet some people around who enjoy the site. Going to be at a wedding in Detroit next weekend though. I'll try to make the next one!

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in the south side so just let us know the details and I'll try damn hard to go.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By RipTheVeins

I'd be interested once a date and time are finalized.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I live a distance away in the Metro-Detroit area, but I'll try and see if it's possible to make it out whenever this is scheduled. No guarantees on my behalf, given the distance, but here's hoping a good meetup is had regardless.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkers said:

@thebostonpops Thanks for the insight on HQ and Emporium. From what I know, HQ has finished their expansion, and the pictures on their website make it look pretty big.

@kdm I'm glad to hear you're on board. I know it's a bit quick, but we did at least push it back to next weekend. I've heard from a few people that Patrick might be planning something for later this summer, which I'm sure will bring out a lot of peeps from the site. I wanted to get together with local Bombers relatively soon, because I know this has been hard for all of us. At the same time, I know that if we plan for something further down the line, we can get more people to come out and show their support. In my eyes, we can still do both!

My post might haven gotten lost but check out

www.gallopingghostarcade.com Chicago biggest arcade, there is a decent bar down the street as well. I thought that being inclusive would be good, if we feel like heading out for a drink we could do that but it gives duders 20 and younger the chance to go too.

It would be cool to go to one of the barcades though!

dahnosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By dahnosaur

I'm in Hyde Park, next weekend works fine for me. Definitely plan to make it, need to talk to people who actually understand what I'm feeling right now. Been to Emporium a couple of times, as people noted above it is PACKED on weekends. They're also adding an expansion to Emporium I believe. Haven't been to Headquarters, so I can't comment on that one. I think a barcade would be appropriate given Ryan's love for old school arcade games. Let me know a date and time and I'll be there.

Avatar image for gamecommaperiod
gamecommaperiod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say plan for Headquarters on Friday the 19th. That seems to fit best with the most here. For anyone that can't make that I'm sure we can get a proper meet up a bit down the line with advance notice for those needing to make travel accommodations and plan around other engagements. I believe Emporium's expansion is still in the works. Headquarters has a little more elbow room at the moment.

gamecommaperiod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll bring a CAH set too if anyone is down.

max_mischi3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My band is going on tour to Colorado from Michigan right after 7/19. If there is any way I can swing my way out to this meetup I will.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yothatlimp Sorry about that, I didn't mean to pass over Galloping Ghost! I had been so focused on raising a glass to Ryan that I hadn't considered our under 21 Bombers. Is anyone who is planning on coming under 21? If not, how do you guys feel about Galloping Ghost? It might be a bit less crowded, which would be nice for what we're putting together. I want to be as inclusive as possible, so if you're under 21, share your thoughts!

As for nailing down a specific date and time, I would like to see if we can set up a poll anywhere, so that we can all select the day that works the best. Unfortunately, we won't be able to accommodate everyone's schedule, but this will be the first of many. Anyone know of a good way to set up a poll or survey to select a day?

gamecommaperiod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkers: Galloping Ghost would work for me as well. It is $15 to get in for unlimited play. Just so everyone is aware.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also can bring my CAH set, I have all the expansions (and that amazing Christmas set). Do any of these venues we are looking into have tables that we could set up to make a game happen?

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about 40 min away in the Chicago burbs, i'm down for whatever.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By clarkers

@terradelu Galloping Ghost might have more what we're looking for in terms of setting up some CAH games. I'll reach out to them today to see how they can handle groups / events.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By clarkers

Ok everyone, here's what I've found out so far. While Galloping Ghost seems to have more games, the layout isn't that great for groups, and it is a $15 entry charge. The only area in the GG where we could gather as a group would be one of the private rooms, which require extra money to reserve, and are booked until August. While it is a good all ages option, I just don't see it being the best fit for what we're looking for.

At Headquarters Beercade, there is no entry fee, and we can reserve a table for free. There is also the option to reserve a private area that can fit 20-25 people for $250. If we get a decent headcount, that could break down to around $10-15 per person, and would give us a private space to gather, drink, play some CAH and remember Ryan. I'm waiting to hear back as to how they handle payment for the space, since it might be a bit difficult with all of us coming from different areas and not having met in person before. I have asked if there is an option to get tables out front reserved for free, perhaps in a corner where we could gather away from the main crowd. Please don't think I'm trying to set us apart or be anti-social, but it would be nice to have a hub where we can hang out easily.

Finally, we need to work out a final date and time. Friday the 19th seemed like a front runner, and if that works for people, I can make the reservation for 7:00, as long as a few people can be there by then to claim the space (I can't make it into the city until around 8:00). To try and figure this out, I created a survey to let the majority rule. I myself can't make Saturday the 20th work, but if that works for most people, then that's when we'll get together! Please follow the link below, and we'll nail down a final date and time!

Copy and Paste: http://tolu.na/10NMQaC

Sorry, I tried to make it a hyperlink, but it wouldn't work.

As always, if anyone has any thoughts, questions or suggestions for the event, post!

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkers I live pretty close to Headquarters and can be free any of those nights - so I can be there whenever you need to secure the space.

SwedishPhish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SwedishPhish

100% for this. It'd be awesome if the plan for next weekend sticks too, because after that I'm out of the country forever. There is nothing that I would love more than to party with some Giant Bomb duders before I leave.

ashkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make it happen

Avatar image for overnumerousness
Overnumerousness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Overnumerousness

I live near HQ and this sounds great. I'd love to meet some other community members and reminisce about Ryan.

I've never been to a meetup, but it feels like the right time.

I responded to the survey for July 19th, but truthfully I can do any of those days.

TheBostonPops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkers: Thanks for getting all of this together! You rock.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@clarkers: We can probably ask Max Temkin and/or Dave Lang to join up too!

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By clarkers

@gaspower You, sir, are a genius. Do you know of any good way to contact them?

@thebostonpops anything I can do to help! I'm just glad it all seems to be coming together.

drchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would also be down for this. I'm from the indianapolis area so it'll be a drive, but if you guys can lock down a date/time/loc I will come too. I don't really drink but I'm always down for the camaraderie.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By GaspoweR

@clarkers said:

@gaspower You, sir, are a genius. Do you know of any good way to contact them?

@thebostonpops anything I can do to help! I'm just glad it all seems to be coming together.

I can drop a link to this thread via twitter and see if i can get a response. Dave Lang (@JosephJBroni) is busy with EVO this week though so Max (@MaxTemkin) would most likely reply first.

HibikiRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

I would be interested in heading out to this, but will be attending Pitchfork so could drop by after 10 or so. Headquarters seems like the better place since their games are set to free play, although beer prices are inflated accordingly compared to Emporium (around $7-10 range from what I remember). Haven't been myself since they expanded but heard it was a lot bigger. And don't think if we'd be able to play CAH unless we got a private room, since it can get loud and busy in there and considering this would be on Friday that might be the case.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkers: Here's the reponse I got from Max https://twitter.com/maxtemkin/status/355448204973719552

He said to just drop him an email to along the info.

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower Well done sir, I'll send the email this evening.

mccarron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I may be game. I'll keep an eye on how this develops and see if I can make it, too soon to tell for that weekend though.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By GaspoweR

@clarkers: No prob, duder. Just wanted to spread the word even if I might not be able to come but I'll try to make it nonetheless. :D

decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am near the loop and am down to meet up.

simmant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By simmant

I will be in Chicago for a vacation next week. If this is on the 19th, I will be there.

Ronnzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Ronnzi

I live in the South Loop and I'm definitely in. There are too many posts to read here for me this late in night - what is the time and place for the meet-up?

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok duders, Friday the 19th is our day. After looking at replies through the thread, and the results of the poll, the 19th seems to work the best for the majority of people. We'll be getting together at Headquarters Beercade in Chicago at 7:00pm. I'm still trying to get details about renting a private party room, so we can have space to gather. The total for that is $250, but if we all chip in a bit, that's not too hard to cover. As soon as i have exact details from the folks at Headquarters, I'll let everyone know.

July 19th, 2013 - Giant Bomb Storms Chicago

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds awesome, count me in on this too.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@clarkers: Awesome, dude. Thanks so much for getting this together! I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of fellow Bombers. I certainly wish it was under better circumstances, but it'll be a good time nonetheless.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live 2 hours south in Bloomington and have been WAITING for a GB Meet-up in Chicago. Sucks that it's on a day when I'm in St. Louis for work. :(

I would be so down to make this a quarterly event! I hope this goes well and can be made into a regular thing. Would love to drink and game with you guys (and gals?).

clarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By clarkers

Fellow Bombers, we are set and ready to go. We have confirmed the reservation for our private room at Headquarters Beercade in Chicago for 7:00pm on Friday, July 19th. Big thanks to @daggon55 who paid our $250 deposit in full this afternoon. With everyone coming out, we can all chip in and pay Daggon back in full. It will probably only come out to $10-15 per person, but if you can't manage that, no worries. We don't want price to keep anyone from coming. I also started a public event on Facebook, so if you'd like, go ahead and RSVP so we start to establish a head count.

https://www.facebook.com/events/508214782578791/

Thanks for everyone's help and support in putting this together, and I'll see you all on the 19th!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have fun guys.