I'm not asking what game is the best. I'm asking what game you would play first, be it for the first time, or just to revisit some old (better?) times.
- Battletoads - Endless prank calls galore!!
- Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters - It only took twenty years between games, no biggie
- Metroid II: Return of Samus - Guys, guys . . . he's a she!
- Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom - One of the better subtitles I've heard
- Sonic the Hedgehog - Never has holding down the right arrow been so fun
- Street Fighter II - The first really well done popular fighting game?
- Super Castlevania IV - Sadly, I've never played a game in this franchise . . .
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - SCUMM based goodness all up in me, yes please
- Sid Meier's Civilization - Turn based gaming finally found its mark
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Yesyes, this came out in 92 here in NA, but I messed up and didn't put it down in that poll, so its here now, since it came out in Japan in 91 anyway
- F-Zero - GOING SO FAST I HAVE TO MEMORIZE THE TRACKS AUUUGGGHHHHH
- Super Mario World - Mario was always destined to ride the green dinosaur
- Neverwinter Nights - I didn't know about this version...although I played the 2002 version a metric ton
- Final Fantasy IV (II in NA) - Active Time Battle System GO!
- Duke Nukem - Duke watches Oprah. Did not know this.
- Lemmings - uggghhhhh, haven't played this one either . . .
- Road Rash - Chains? Leather? Helmets? Motorcycles? Sure, put me down for some of that.
Previous installments -92
I have a confession to make. I totally spaced it in the '92 poll, and didn't put Link to the Past in there . . . biggest mistake I made. Ever. I worked at Gamestop for a brief couple months, and during that time I got my share of calls about Battletoads and its upcoming sequel. That was a pretty hilarious thing to mess with the kids who were calling. No, they have nothing else better to do. Also, another admission here, I was 4 at this time, so while I very well may have played these at this age, I don't really remember it. But I do take the time here and again to go back and play a few games I have certainly missed, and yeah, its a hoot going back and playing them. Some good times back then, and even now
Me? My choice? It was a reallllly tough choice between Castlevania, Final Fantasy, and Super Mario World. Mario, because it's just a joy to play, and the other two because I've never played them before. I'm gonna have to lean towards FF, because I've never played anything before VII. Castlevania....eh, I've played games that have brushed a bit too close to it before.
This might sound insane but I'm not a particular fan of any of those games. Some of them are fun and worth playing still, but most of them are just really, really dated and held up solely by nostalgia.
Super Mario World is what I'll vote for, but every time I've tried to revisit it I've gotten bored.
Madden that year was AMAZING for the Genesis. Never played the SNES version as a buddy of mine had it on the Genesis and it never occurred to me to get it on the SNES. Games were like that back then. Why would I buy a game that a friend of mine already had? Besides, we never played against anyone but our group of friends. There is a reason that Madden games still keep coming out year after year, and Madden 91 is one of those reasons.
Judging from that list, '91 must've been a pretty slow year. Can't say I had any interest in any of those games. I did play Duke though, but I wouldn't exactly call it amazing. Is the castlevania one the one where you have good control over the whip? If so, that might be a good choise. But if not I think I'll stick with Mario Bros 3, which was released in PAL region in '91.
I was 9 at the time so I was probably still playing the 'Dizzy' games on Spectrum, but I chose FF4 as it's a series I've skipped entirely.
I'd argue Street Fighter 2 is the most 'important' game on this list though. To my (likely inaccurate) knowledge it's the only one here that basically created a genre.
Definitely suicidal rodents for me.
edit: No Commander Keen 4,5,6? :o
I had Keen on the list, but crossed him out due to my complete lack of any knowledge whatsoever when it comes to games....I knew I should've put'em up there, and actually did have it up there in the draft version, but somehow didn't make the transition. Major suckage. Put it down with Pokemon Red/Blue and FF Tactics that I've missed :/
What's the point of even putting in Duke Nukem or Neverwinter Nights? It seems a little bit misleading because the more popular entries in the series didn't come until much later. I doubt many even know that there was a NWN game before 2002.
Edit: Also, definitely Zelda.