• 77 results
#1 Posted by Matthew (1910 posts) -
#2 Posted by Matthew (1910 posts) -

I'm not asking what game is the best. I'm asking what game would you play first, be it for the first time, or just to revisit some old (better?) times.

When making the list for this year (check out the other polls I made for 94 95 96 97 98  and 99 ) I seriously thought I had too many games up there. How can there be this many quality releases in one year? Forget quality, how can there be this many crucial and founding games? Obviously the games are right there for you to check out, I don't have to tell you the significance behind each title. Just be happy we live in the times we do. 

My personal choice would be Myst. I'm sorry, I'm a sucker, but it's just a world you can lose yourself in, taking notes, studying every scene, packed with so much detail....I should go install it actually. Also, I love how this is pretty much the golden age of Adventure games. 
#3 Posted by Swoxx (2980 posts) -

Oh god lemmings! Such an awesome game.

#4 Posted by CornishRocker (397 posts) -

For me it's a close toss up between MK II and Doom. First game I ever played was Doom (my dad wanted a good laugh from scaring the shit out of me, I think), but I have fonder memories of sneaking over to the MK II cabinet at the bowling alley with my friends when our parents weren't looking.

#5 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1543 posts) -

Man I would say Gabriel Knight, but I think I'm going to give it to Illusion of Gaia, (it was released in Japan on 1993, so it counts right?) hell I still have the shirt the came with the game.

#6 Posted by Jimbo (9708 posts) -

Just so you know, I always vote on what the best game is. Which is obviously Syndicate in this case ;)

#7 Posted by Matthew (1910 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

Just so you know, I always vote on what the best game is. Which is obviously Syndicate in this case ;)

DAMMIT JIM I SPECIFICALLY SAID ITS NOT A CONTEST YOU BUM!!!!!!  

Well, either way, you chose wrongly. Because Myst is obviously the better game.
#8 Posted by KaneRobot (1266 posts) -

MK II. No doubt about it.

#9 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

sim city 2000 is still a great game to play

#10 Posted by GunstarRed (4728 posts) -

I love a bunch of games on that list, but Mario All Stars has like four amazing games packed intogether with better music/visuals than the originals

#11 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -

Doom.

#12 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

It would have to be NHL '94. It was released March of 1993 on the SNES. I'm not the biggest hockey fan, but this game was awesome.

#13 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

Anyone who doesn't choose Day of the Tentacle is a fucking idiot.

#14 Posted by Jimbo (9708 posts) -

@Matthew said:

@Jimbo said:

DAMMIT JIM I SPECIFICALLY SAID ITS NOT A CONTEST YOU BUM!!!!!! Well, either way, you chose wrongly. Because Myst is obviously the better game.

Ha, I ruined all of your polls.

Myst is definitely a better game if you're a 50 year old housewife. I'll stick to mowing down civilians with a minigun thank you very much.

#15 Edited by MayorFeedback (672 posts) -

Oh my god, what an amazing year. Had to go X-Wing, though Lemmings and Super Mario All-Stars were serious contenders.

#16 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

MKII, please.

#17 Posted by h0lgr (892 posts) -

Doom, of course. What the ufck?

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (11260 posts) -

DOTT is easily one of the best adventure games ever made, so that.

#19 Posted by fisk0 (3270 posts) -

Ok, this is hard. To some extent, Doom is the one correct answer, but 1993 was one hell of a year for video games (as was pretty much every year in the middle years of the 90's though).

Wing Commander: Privateer was great, and so was Ultima Underworld II, Cannon Fodder, Alone in the Dark 2 and Strike Commander ... and for games that could be played for many years straight we had Sim City 2000 and Frontier: Elite II. I was also addicted to Skyroads for about 10 years.

#20 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@Claude said:

It would have to be NHL '94. It was released March of 1993 on the SNES. I'm not the biggest hockey fan, but this game was awesome.

Yes godammit yes!

#21 Posted by rentfn (1267 posts) -

Sim City 2000!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 Posted by DarthOrange (3497 posts) -

Super Mario All-Stars was the game my parents got me with my SNES.

#23 Edited by Jeust (10334 posts) -

Like Matthew said: 

Ridge Racer  (arcade) - Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racerrrrrrr :p

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Doom and Doom 2 were my first window into 'mature' games. The nightmares.

#25 Posted by wild_fire987 (48 posts) -

I was awful at it so MK II took all my money, but I still love it.

#26 Posted by SpaceRunaway (809 posts) -

I was all set to click Sam and Max, but then I kept reading...
I can't pick.  Too many of those games are not only amazing, but dear to my heart.

#27 Posted by Icemael (6269 posts) -

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Fantastic fun and without a doubt the best of the old-school Castlevania games.

#28 Posted by spankingaddict (2646 posts) -

Link's Awakening , duh !

#29 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (490 posts) -

Sim City 2000, for sure.

#30 Edited by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

@Matthew: YOU LEFT OUT SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2

EDIT: AND SAMURAI SHOWDOWN

#31 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

since i just bought the MK collection on steam, i would have to go with that.. it was tide with Doom though

#32 Posted by overjoyedpants (74 posts) -

mkII all the way

#33 Edited by Sanaj (169 posts) -

Doom. I still replay this game a couple times each year.

Sam & Max Hit the Road and Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle would be my next couple of choices from that list.

#34 Posted by NicksCorner (399 posts) -

Since Ive actually played Master of Orion recently I had to vote for Day of the tentacle.

#35 Posted by ninjalegend (408 posts) -

I picked MK II, but it was ALL about Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES for me.

#36 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

Secret of Mana

#37 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

At the time, Doom was my go-to.

#38 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

Making me choose between XWing and DOTT - I choose DOTT. If only because it was the first game I ever played that had an intro with VO (floppy version) due to my new soundblaster-compatible card.

#39 Posted by mosespippy (3735 posts) -

Looking at that list I'd pick Ridge Racer because I'm dumb. I love the PSP one and none of the other games look interesting to me (except maybe myst).

#40 Posted by Amtiskaw (59 posts) -

Wing Commander: Privateer

#41 Posted by RuthLoose (740 posts) -

Link's Awakening is my answer if only because it was my third or fourth GameBoy game and my first Zelda game I personally owned.

I remember that game's lengthy side-quest taking up countless lazy summer afternoons. The game's soundtrack is still deeply seared into my brain to this day.

#42 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

NBA Jam

#43 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Kirby or Starfox..I played them both on the N64 though.

I played Sid Meir's Civil War on the PC though. :D

Can't think of my favorite SNES game..probably one of the Mario ones.

#44 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@Matthew said:
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link totally has Link's name in the title. 
But yeah, I never finished Link's Awakening. I've been thinking about picking it up on ye olde e-shop, so I guess it's the game on this list I want to play the most.
#45 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

Link's Awakening, first Zelda game I ever played.

#46 Posted by JCTango (1354 posts) -

@Matthew: Out of your poll list I chose Sam and Max... it had great writing, and was pretty fun to play. I thought about picking Doom because it was actually the first game that introduced me to online gaming (over telephone lines - that really blew my mind when i was young).

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -
#48 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Dooom!

#49 Posted by ShaggE (5980 posts) -

7th Guest, because I miss horror FMV adventures.

#50 Posted by Drebin_893 (2872 posts) -

Secret of Mana.