• 66 results
#1 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

#2 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

I'm not asking what game is the best. I'm asking what game would you play first, be it for the first time, or just to revisit some old (bettter?) times?  

Everytime I do one of these polls (96979899), I just look back at the roots of our pastime. Where would we be without even one of these games?  Take out something as 'trivial' as the Marathon series, and we don't get anything Halo related. Something as bizarrely titled as Yoshi's Island? Baby Mario and co. cease to exist, and we're free from the . . . alright, so that may not be such a horrible thing.  
#3 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

Gotta admit ya'll, there's a lot of games I haven't touched here. My first choice would be Dark Forces. But I played that through like 8 months ago.  
Sooooooooooooooo, I think I'm going to have to go with Chrono Trigger, with Full Throttle a close 2nd place. I love me some MechWarrior action, but again, I've played that more recently than the other 2 previously mentioned.

#4 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country 2. 

#5 Posted by Crono11 (1635 posts) -

Chrono Trigger.  

Yeah.

#6 Posted by Tordah (2469 posts) -

Damn, I forgot how awesome 1995 was.

#7 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

Command & Conquer. The first few games in this series were great, and now it saddens me to see what it's become.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (35833 posts) -

I'd probably go with Earthbound, just to piss off everybody expecting me to go for Chrono Trigger.

#9 Posted by MightyDuck (1490 posts) -

Warcraft 2 for sure.

I still remember our "computer club" in grade school met once a week every day with our teacher and we had Warcraft 2 battles in the school computer lab.  It was a blast.  Something my friends and I still bring up almost 15 years later.

#10 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -
@crono11: hahahaha, Methinks you're a bit biased there!
#11 Posted by JammyJesus (769 posts) -

I was seven, and I was playing Tekken.

#12 Posted by me3639 (1711 posts) -
#13 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Super Mario World 2, only thing I was playing back then were platformers.

#14 Posted by bobafettjm (1387 posts) -

Suikoden for sure.

#15 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

worms! i liked the old worms pc games 

#16 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Tekken!

#17 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Matthew said: 
Wrong. 

Tekken and Worms are the only games on the list I actually played at the time, so I chose Tekken.
#18 Posted by BeachThunder (11645 posts) -

I'm actually in the middle of playing Chrono Trigger right now :o

Full Throttle, but no Dig? Also, it seems a bit weird to not mention Crusader: No Remorse, considering that was just released on GOG about a week ago.

#19 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I played and loved Tekken 2, so I would've played Tekken if I could. So yeah... Tekken.

#20 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

Word! I put worms too, god what a great party game that was. guaranteed to start a fight everytime.

#21 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -
@jadeskye said:

@AjayRaz said:

Word! I put worms too, god what a great party game that was. guaranteed to start a fight everytime.

it still gets played often whenever i have friends over. it's always guaranteed to make someone laugh so much that they have to leave the room 
#22 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Earthbound was the first one of those I ever really went for (I played some SMW2, but Baby Mario kept me far away from that game as a kid) so I voted for that; I'd still probably go for it first, too. Never beat EB, but got REALLY far and got extremely stuck.

In the middle of a Chrono Trigger playthrough now. Enjoying it so far. Also, intending to play Dark Forces and Full Throttle someday.

#23 Edited by Driadon (2995 posts) -

In 1995? I was playing the shit out of Marathon 2 on my mom's PowerPC Mac. And it was awesome.

#24 Posted by Romination (2774 posts) -

I went with "I have no mouth" because I want to play it. Otherwise I'd have gone with Earthbound

#25 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Chrono Trigger

#26 Posted by Deusx (1902 posts) -

Chrono Trigger :D I love the fact that I played video games in 1995.

#27 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I'm all about 1994 when I bought Samurai Spirits 2 :o)

#28 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Good year, from the list probably Mech Warrior, but in my heart there is only X-Com: Terror from the Deep :)

edit: "Mechanical Warrior"? Damn you auto-correct :|

#29 Posted by BeachThunder (11645 posts) -
@Mnemoidian said:
but in my heart there is only X-Com: Terror from the Deep :)
Oh, I forgot that was 1995. There are so many great games not on this list :o

I <3 TFTD.
#30 Posted by JEC03 (898 posts) -

Tekken I remember renting it  and enjoying it back in the day.

#31 Posted by 1337W422102 (1003 posts) -

Making me choose between Mech2 and Dark Forces??  I-- I can't do it!
When I got them both running properly on WinXP a few years back, I must have stained my pants.

#32 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

From this list I was playing DKC2 at that time, but I'd have played Earthbound in a heartbeat. More so than almost any other game, I wish I had gotten it when it first came out.

#33 Posted by JJOR64 (18891 posts) -

Super Mario World 2.

#34 Posted by evilrazer (480 posts) -

I was thinking about choosing Tekken, but Warcraft 2 was the last RTS that I really loved so yeah... Warcraft 2.

#35 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

Rayman!!!

#36 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I turned two in 1995, so I wasn't playing any of these then. The one I'd be quickest to pick up at this point is Earthbound, though. Still haven't played that for some reason.

#37 Posted by Cupids_Hitman (164 posts) -

Full Throttle. Tim Schafer all the way!

#38 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

The only games here I feel still hold up are Worms and Full Throttle. You can't really get more longevity than an adventure game, they perfected 'em in the 90's (and promptly forgot everything in the 00's for some reason). The only problem I see with Worms is the tech bit...setting up multiplayer games back then was a real hassle.

#39 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i would say donkey kong country 2. i was still playing my nes back in those days.

#40 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

Warcraft 2, because it got me into the genre.

#41 Posted by lead_farmer (1040 posts) -

You are making me choose between Tekken, Worms, and Mechwarrior 2. I don't want to do that.

#42 Posted by Redbullet685 (6021 posts) -

Worms. I love Worms.

#43 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

Chrono Trigger.

#44 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Suikoden. Good RPG, and without it, we wouldn't have the epicness that is Suikoden II.

#45 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Gotta go with Donkey Kong Country 2. Really liked that game. Reminds me I've still yet to play Donkey Kong Country Returns.

#46 Posted by VirtuaXav (449 posts) -

Dam, I wanna pick Donkey Kong 2, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario World 2... so awesome.

I guess I'll go with Chrono Trigger, awesome game.

#47 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

was a hard choice between Crono and Mechwarrior 2.   I just decided that i had my favorite mech moments in Mechwarrior 2 Mercs which came out later.  So Crono Trigger it is.

#48 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

X-Wing Commander IV : The Prize of FMV-dom

#49 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

DKC2, easily. For me, it's not even a contest.

#50 Posted by Kodo_Beast (131 posts) -

As a kid I probably got more out of Super Mario World 2, but I'd go for DKC2. Easily the best DK game in the series.