I'm not asking what game is the best. I'm asking what game would you play first, be it for the first time, or just to revisit some old (better?) times?
- Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall - The best in the series?
- Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - STOP POKING MEEEEE!!!!!!
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire - Play the Hoth Level! You can't do it anywhere else, only in this game!
- Civilization II - Back when Turn-Based strategy wasn't frowned upon.
- Super Mario 64 - Confession - I never got Yoshi..
- Tomb Raider - Check out those bazookas....
- Wave Race 64 - 'Swimmy' controls.
- Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares - Only game in the series with a subtitle?
- Pilotwings 64 - 3D meant so much more 15 years ago.
- Duke Nukem 3D - Shake it baby.
- Resident Evil - The origin of the revolutionary Tank Controls.
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - I'm a sucker for tongue-in-mouth games, and this started'em all.
- Quake - Reflex test.
- Star Ocean - Enix released this. Just straight up Enix.
- Crash Bandicoot - Never would've thought peaches to be a requirement to allow awesomeness.
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert - Attack laser bears? Yes please.
- Marathon Infinity - You can see so much of Halo in these games.
- Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries - I've always loved piloting big robots. With guns.
Everytime I do one of these polls (97, 98, 99), I just look back at the roots of our pastime. Where would we be without even one of these games? Take out something as 'trivial' as the Marathon series, and we don't get anything Halo related. Something as bizarrely titled as Star Ocean? Enix doesn't become as prominent as it does, the SquareEnix as we know it doesn't exist...which may or may not be a better thing.
I personally went for Super Mario RPG. I'm a sucker for it. Those guys know how to push my buttons when it comes to cornyawesome games able to look back on themselves and chuckle a bit.