I'm not asking what game is the best. I'm asking what game would you play first, be it for the first time, or just to revisit some old (better?) times?
- Diablo - Loot collection at it's finest. Until number 2 came along.
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter - While not quite as memorable as TIE Fighter, I think it's our last great space fighter.
- Ultima Online - People are still playing this game...
- Fallout - This is the daddy that started what many of the users here still play in a form - New Vegas
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II - It's not quite Dark Forces, but this one put together lightsaber goodness with force powers.
- Age of Empires - Ensemble Studios had a breakout on their hands.
- Riven - I'm still not smart enough to figure out these logic puzzles.
- The Curse of Monkey Island - LucasArts at the peak of their craft.
- Quake II - And people think Black Ops is a fast paced shooter....hahahaha
- Gran Turismo - This may actually be better than it's 5th iteration.
- Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - It'll be interesting how the remastered version turns out.
- Final Fantasy VII - Let's just say it's a good game. And it brought RPGs recognition stateside.
- Golden Eye 007 - Pierce can never replace Sean Connery as the ultimate Bond.
- Star Fox 64 - Do a barrel roll? I'll never get over the fact when I discovered this game was meant to be played in one sitting, arcade style.
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Easily far superior than it's God of War clone that just came out. Awesome score.
- Mario Kart 64 - You can find me poppin balloons, slippin and slidin on ice, using those bananas to awesome ends.
- Mortal Kombat 4 - ummmmmm, it's no MK2, so I know Brad isn't voting for this one.
- other - specify in comment
When making the list for this year (check out the other polls I made for '98 and '99) I seriously thought I had too many games up there. How can there be this many quality releases in one year? Forget quality, how can there be this many crucial and founding games? Obviously the games are right there for you to check out, I don't have to tell you the significance behind each title. Just be happy we live in the times we do.
I have to admit, I'm a Final Fantasy 7 guy. Yes, the gameplay might not be all up to par, and some will call the story generic. But at least give props where props are due - this game has an absolutely amazing score. The memories they bring back, backed up by the visuals? Give me chills each and every time.