• 0 results
#1 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -
#2 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -

I'm not asking what game is the best.  I'm asking what game would you play first, be it for the first time, or just to revisit some old (better?) times?

1. Kasavins thoughts
  1. Shoemakers thoughts
  1. Rories thoughts
  1. Davis' thoughts

I personally chose Age of Kings...never got tired of playing with that formation button, and making walls out of pyramids.
#3 Edited by Crono11 (1651 posts) -

In 1999 I was playing a lot of Smash Bros. and AoE2. So I'd start with Smash Bros then play some AoE and then maybe try and play some FF8.

Screw picking one!!

#4 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Definitely THPS. No question about it.

#5 Posted by 1337W422102 (1018 posts) -

Unreal Motherfragging Tournament.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Silent Hill, even if I loved some of the N64 entries up there (Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, Rayman 2, etc.).

#7 Posted by Seedofpower (3947 posts) -

Man, system shock. That scared the shit out of me back in the day.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

In 1999... I was 9 years old. I played Mario Party, Super Smash, Sonic, Rayman... I probably put the most time into Rayman, but I can't think of a time I was having more fun than playing 4-player Super Smash Bros. at slumber parties.

#9 Posted by armaan8014 (5434 posts) -

I played a lot of RTS at the time, especially AoE2 and Age of Mythology. So yeah, I'd go with AoE2.

#10 Posted by damswedon (3200 posts) -
#11 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Everquest has the most fun memories for me, but I wouldn't want to play it as it is now, nor would I want to turn back time and play it exactly as it was then other than for nostalgia.

UT99, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, and Quake 3 are also high on my list.  Probably forgetting some that aren't listed...

#12 Posted by Skytylz (4035 posts) -

Man, Super Smash Bros or AoE2.  It's an impossible choice for me :(.  I"ll say Age though because of my current SC2 binge.

#13 Posted by Thordain (959 posts) -

YEAH Age of Empires 2! I must have spent hundreds of hours playing around with my own custom maps.

#14 Posted by thunderball65 (61 posts) -

Tony Hawk, that was a great game at the time.  i would probably pick it up today to play around with for a while.
#15 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -
#16 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -

Super Smash Bros., Counterstrike, and AoEII all came out in the same year?  Crazy.

I voted for SSB, since it signified the start of the greatest and most in-depth fighting series to date (suck it, SFIV fans/Jeff).

#17 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11994 posts) -

Might and Magic VII. Although I came to much later to that game than 1999. If we are talking what I was into in 1999, it would probably be something like Donkey Kong 64, a game that in retrospect, was probably the poster child for everything that was wrong with 3D collectathon platformers.

#18 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Rayman 2 is clearly the correct answer

#19 Posted by JJOR64 (19046 posts) -

Mario Golf bitches.

#20 Edited by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

Planescape because I have never played it but I have heard good things about it. 
edie: I am so happy no one has picked Mario Party.

#21 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I didn't play THPS until 2000 because I had an N64, but playing that game for the first time and becoming utterly addicted was unlike anything else.

#22 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" Definitely THPS. No question about it. "
Me too. Yo, check it out: 

#23 Posted by Progman9000 (258 posts) -

At that time, I spent the most hours playing Roller Coaster Tycoon.  That would probably be my first choice.  Followed by Tony Hawk, Smash Bros. and Mario Party.  Not necessarily in that order, though.

#24 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

SSB unless you're a loser

#25 Posted by Fjordson (2453 posts) -

Counter-Strike, fa sho.

#26 Posted by Tebbit (4480 posts) -

I chose Shock 2, because of all the fun multiplayer times had with friends and family. And by fun I mean nerve-wrecking. 

I would have said Super Smash Bros if Melee and and Brawl hadn't been released.

#27 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Andorski said:
" Super Smash Bros., Counterstrike, and AoEII all came out in the same year?  Crazy.  I voted for SSB, since it signified the start of the greatest and most in-depth fighting series to date (suck it, SFIV fans/Jeff). "
Smash Bros isn't even a damn fighting game. Its a platformer with some punching for the kiddies.
#28 Posted by Jeust (10807 posts) -

Soul Calibur

#29 Edited by Matthew (1914 posts) -
@1337W422102: Yea, forgot about that one.  I was thinking Unreal from 98, forgot about that little tournament edition :P 
@damswedon: I really dig the Spyro series, but most peeps think they're just for the kiddies.  But screw them!  I still have all 3 games for the Playstation :D 
@nickux: Ah, Resident Evil series.  I didn't get to it until the Gamecube with 4, but I've heard some good things about the earlier ones...  

@MysteriousBob
said:
" @Andorski said:
" Super Smash Bros., Counterstrike, and AoEII all came out in the same year?  Crazy.  I voted for SSB, since it signified the start of the greatest and most in-depth fighting series to date (suck it, SFIV fans/Jeff). "
Smash Bros isn't even a damn fighting game. Its a platformer with some punching for the kiddies. "
Dems fightin words bro...................
#30 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Andorski said:
Smash Bros isn't even a damn fighting game. Its a platformer with some punching for the kiddies. "
The amount of precision, speed, and mind games the SSBM community has demanded in the competitive scene easily dwarfs what is done in Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, etc.
#31 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -
@Andorski: I don't know if I'd say 'easily dwarfs,' (I for one haven't heard things from EVO about the SSBM or anything...) but what those guys have done with the versatility of the game astounds.  Sure, you can turn on all the items, put it on Hyrule Castle and have a blast with 3 friends.  Orrrrrrr, turn off all the items, go stock lives, pick your chars (I play a pretty decent Falco), and set a date in Final Destination.... 
I don't really get what Jeff has against it all...
#32 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" Spyro 2 "
Yes, yes, a million times yes.
#33 Posted by Camurai (259 posts) -

Super Smash Bros 
and Pokemon Snap 
...I loved my N64

#34 Posted by Icemael (6353 posts) -

Pokemon Blue.

#35 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
#36 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -
@Matthew: If you still have a chance to play Gamecube games, do yourself a flavor and go play the Resident Evil 1 remake as soon as possible.
#37 Posted by BeachThunder (12276 posts) -

Bioshock Zero

#38 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

System Shock 2 anyday, and that's not a joke, I've got another run of the game going on right now... or I would have if I didn't break my computer therefore making every game on the PC since 1952 unplayable.

#39 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

I can't choose the 90s was a great time for games and I played a lot of Counter-Strike, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Age of Empires 2 and Medal of Honor, good times. I also played a lot of other games I can't remember right now.

#40 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:  Do you know the name of that song? :P
#41 Posted by DillonWerner (1528 posts) -

Supersmash Bros!

#42 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5288 posts) -

Lots of smash bros and Age of Empires. I played a crapload of Quake at my buddy's place too.

#43 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

Planescape Torment.  Absolutely amazing game that you can play through a tonne of times and see things you didn't before.

System Shock 2 is close though, I've never played it even though I've been interested in it for a while.  I imagine I'd enjoy it more back in 1999, where the now poor visuals wouldn't affect the atmosphere to me.

#44 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -

I'll have to go with AOE2 here. Timeless RTS classic.

#45 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

CS

#46 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

Silent Hill because I have never played it.

#47 Posted by spankingaddict (2727 posts) -

System Shock 2....amazing!

#48 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -

Smash Bros blew me away back then.

#49 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

Out of that lot I suppose I'd go for Rayman 2: The Great Escape. I remember as a kid really liking that game and since every other game on that list is either a multiplayer game or just something I'm not interested in my choices are limited.
#50 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I played Soul Calibur on the dreamcast so damn much it's not funny