So a year after creating a website to filter videos (link to the API forum thread for reference), I found I never really used it much. Either the video options were more limited, I may not have updated my database quick enough, or I was unsure how to include premium content. About a month ago, I considered taking a cue from Enhanced Steam and create a Chrome extension to build functionality directly onto the Giant Bomb website instead.
The Extension (Giant Bomb Plus)
The Chrome extension for the most part blends into the existing layout. It becomes active on specific video sections (which can be modified).
- The currently tracked categories with my own data are: Quick Looks, Unfinished, Encyclopedia Bombastica, Features, Subscriber, and Endurance Runs.
- You can search by title, people (up to 5), platform and tags.
- Use filters on searches or a random video.
- Videos can be added to the playlist (only one currently).
- Queue videos through the custom filter tab or from any category in the Giant Bomb's video tab.
- The playlist is capped at 200 videos.
- While playing videos from the playlist, it should auto-load the next video as the current one ends.
- There is an options page with a direct link inserted at the top right of a video page where you can change some settings and erase data saved from the extension.
It can be found in the Chrome Web Store.
- Since there has been talk about the engineers have started working on the site again, maybe the extension becomes outdated soon.
- There are some broken images due to bad links from the API. I'm looking into a way to fix it without entirely searching by hand.
- Zero notifications/feedback from actions.
- Not all videos have been cataloged with my own data quite yet.
- Maybe my server will blow up or it doesn't work at all.
I'd love to hear it!