#1 Edited by Floobar (15 posts) -

Edit: v0.2.4/v0.2.5 probably require you to either clear your playlist, make a search that contains all your videos and go through all page results to cache the data (then refresh) or queue the entire search if it fits. Sorry about that.

Hi,

So a year after creating a website to filter videos (link to the API forum thread for reference), I found I never really used it much. Either the video options were more limited, I may not have updated my database quick enough, or I was unsure how to include premium content. About a month ago, I considered taking a cue from Enhanced Steam and create a Chrome extension to build functionality directly onto the Giant Bomb website instead.

The Extension (Giant Bomb Plus)

The Chrome extension for the most part blends into the existing layout. It becomes active on any section within videos. You can search by title, people (up to 5), platform and tags. Videos can be added to the playlist (only one currently) and the supported categories are: Quick Looks, Unfinished, Encyclopedia Bombastica, Features, Subscriber, and Endurance Runs. The playlist is capped at 200 videos (but I didn't test it!) and should auto-load the next video as the current one ends. There is also an options page if you need to erase various data.

It can be found in the Chrome Web Store.

Images

Search form injected on the video page

Playlist attached to the video player

Caveats/Issues

• Since there has been talk about the engineers have started working on the site again, maybe the extension becomes outdated soon.
  • There are some broken images due to bad links from the API. I'm looking into a way to fix it without entirely searching by hand.
  • Zero notifications/feedback from actions.
  • Not all videos have been cataloged with my own data quite yet.
  • No settings page available at the moment.
  • Maybe my server will blow up or it doesn't work at all.

Comments/Questions/Suggestions?

I'd love to hear it!

#2 Posted by Forcen (1827 posts) -

This seems cool, any plans for a firefox version?

Also got some of that open source code on github or something?

#3 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Wait....holy shit playlist support?! Oh man I have to try this out when I get home!

#4 Edited by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -
#5 Posted by RandomlyRossy (20 posts) -

This is absolutely fantastic, I've been meaning to catch up on a few things I've missed from a while back (like the Bioforge playthrough) and this should make it much easier. Great job duder!

#6 Edited by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

And how has this not exploded on the site yet? Nice job duder, I will actually probably use this.

EDIT: Out of all the things the community has created, this might be my favorite, it is fantastic.

#7 Posted by Mijati (922 posts) -

This is really fucking awesome.

One feature I'd like to see is the ability to add all videos in the current filter to a playlist. That'd be awesome if you could make that. (So I could just goto the Game room filter, click add to playlist and it adds all the Game room videos to a playlist).

#8 Posted by rmanthorp (3949 posts) -

WOWEEE.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@mijati: Yeah that or let's say an endurance run. I've been meaning to watch the persona 4 one but man its a pain in the butt to have to manually traffic through multiple pages to play the next video.

#10 Posted by GaspoweR (3034 posts) -

Paging @marino! This needs to be known!

#11 Posted by Sweep (8861 posts) -
#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

The Giant Bomb community always makes the best stuff for me to rip off.

#13 Posted by Biddy (226 posts) -

@floobar: Great work. I wonder what it would take to get this type of search on the Bombcasts. Like, search for all instances of HAM radio talk.

#14 Posted by alexisg (383 posts) -

@floobar: Well this is fucking awesome. I'll take a look at it with @mrpibb next chance we get but so far it looked really great.

Staff
#15 Posted by SithToast (167 posts) -

@floobar Are you gonna open source this bad boy?

#16 Edited by CorruptedEvil (3364 posts) -

You should work with the dude who makes Live Bomb to make them one extension.

#17 Posted by Floobar (15 posts) -

@forcen said:

This seems cool, any plans for a firefox version?

Also got some of that open source code on github or something?

I didn't plan for anything yet since I kind of just cobbled the extension together for Chrome this past week. It would be nice.

As for Github, I'll probably toss the extension up eventually although I'm not sure when that'll happen.

@mijati said:

This is really fucking awesome.

One feature I'd like to see is the ability to add all videos in the current filter to a playlist. That'd be awesome if you could make that. (So I could just goto the Game room filter, click add to playlist and it adds all the Game room videos to a playlist).

@mijati: Yeah that or let's say an endurance run. I've been meaning to watch the persona 4 one but man its a pain in the butt to have to manually traffic through multiple pages to play the next video.

Yeah, I wanted it in too at first but was deciding how badly the request would be designed. Should be in later today.

@biddy said:

@floobar: Great work. I wonder what it would take to get this type of search on the Bombcasts. Like, search for all instances of HAM radio talk.

I'd say even organizing a broad search of all topics just listed in the description sounds pretty daunting. A lot of variable data there.

@alexisg said:

@floobar: Well this is fucking awesome. I'll take a look at it with @mrpibb next chance we get but so far it looked really great.

Thanks although not too closely, the code is not pretty!

#18 Posted by Lausebub (231 posts) -

This changes everything. Thanks!

#19 Posted by T0FFE (95 posts) -

This is really amazing! Nice work, duder!

#20 Posted by Diablos1125 (179 posts) -

What was the title of the video with the whole Vinny and Drew behind-the-scenes at E3 thing? I tried typing in "e3 2013" and even adding drew under "find member" but wasnt able to locate it.

#21 Posted by MATATAT (286 posts) -

I've always thought Giant Bomb could benefit from a better taxonomy system. Nice to see someone developed something like that.

#22 Edited by Floobar (15 posts) -

What was the title of the video with the whole Vinny and Drew behind-the-scenes at E3 thing? I tried typing in "e3 2013" and even adding drew under "find member" but wasnt able to locate it.

If it's an event category video, none of that is in my database. The only video I found was a E3 2012 video shoot in the premium section. I should mention more specifically that the most complete data are from videos in quick looks, unfinished, and encyclopedia. The rest are mixed bags.

Thanks everyone that have liked what they've seen. Getting a lot of 500 errors so if nothing really loads, my server is probably crying somewhere. ;) I'll probably double check to see if it's really from the increased traffic since it didn't appear that I was using too many resources.

I've also pushed an update (0.2.3) out, you can queue the search result (button is by the pagination, the form is getting a bit cramped now!) by newest or oldest. Some form of notifications appear at the bottom now when you queue videos, queue too many videos, save the playlist, and clear the playlist.

#23 Posted by benjo_t (152 posts) -

This is so useful, thank you!

#24 Edited by Skrams (272 posts) -

Thought I might drop this issue here, but it's a bit annoying that the playlist thing keeps popping up when I fullscreen a video. I have a tendency to just move my cursor off to the right so the playlist button remains on the screen because I assume it takes it as I'm hovering over the video. If I move it to the bottom it goes away for some weird amount of time, 30 seconds to a minute, and then pops back up. I can then move the cursor off and then back down again to make it go away, but it's not great.

Edit: Can't for the life of me even queue a video. Just nothing happens. Every time I try to filter a new thing it also seems to take up to a minute to show what I wanted.

#25 Posted by PurpleSpandex (282 posts) -

Get this in the hands of the devs!

#26 Posted by EskimoSnow (11 posts) -

I'd personally like a random video feature. Just randomly selects a video from the site, minus trailers.

#27 Posted by L1GHTN1N (457 posts) -

I'd personally like a random video feature. Just randomly selects a video from the site, minus trailers.

They had this before the site redesign (though it also included trailers) but for whatever reason it never got put back in. Shame because I actually used it quite a bit, was one of my favorite features.

#28 Posted by pondwhale (109 posts) -

Nice work! It's amazing to see a community so dedicated that you can get not one, but three (afaik) unofficial apps to make the experience even better.

This would be great. Even better if it could keep track of recently watched videos, so as to avoid playing them repeatedly.

#29 Edited by pondwhale (109 posts) -

@diablos1125 said:

I think this is what you are looking for. I'm not sure why the extension didn't work. I used Google. Thanks for making me aware of this though, anyway.

#30 Edited by Floobar (15 posts) -
@skrams said:

Thought I might drop this issue here, but it's a bit annoying that the playlist thing keeps popping up when I fullscreen a video. I have a tendency to just move my cursor off to the right so the playlist button remains on the screen because I assume it takes it as I'm hovering over the video. If I move it to the bottom it goes away for some weird amount of time, 30 seconds to a minute, and then pops back up. I can then move the cursor off and then back down again to make it go away, but it's not great.

Edit: Can't for the life of me even queue a video. Just nothing happens. Every time I try to filter a new thing it also seems to take up to a minute to show what I wanted.

I'm hoping the next update today will help alleviate those of the issues. Currently, queuing a single video naively checks the servers each time to see if it's a video I have data on, if yes then store for later. This is on top of every query you're already doing from just looking at the tab. That felt like a good idea while I was testing on my own!

The next version should cache data on whichever page you're already looking at removing the additional need to hit my servers except for queuing entire search results. The playlist button was also just a hover effect, it'll now time out after 2 seconds if you don't move or leave the video container.

On that note, I also added an options page to allow people to choose on which pages where the filter tab default to being selected. This is in hopes to further lower the number of needless accidental hits (say on the trailers page, likely you won't be using it there). In additional to that will be some buttons that let you directly clear a few specific things in storage.

@eskimosnow said:

@pondwhale said:

Nice work! It's amazing to see a community so dedicated that you can get not one, but three (afaik) unofficial apps to make the experience even better.

@eskimosnow said:

This would be great. Even better if it could keep track of recently watched videos, so as to avoid playing them repeatedly.

Random video wouldn't be too hard I suppose, tracking might be a little more work. We'll see how it goes next week!

#32 Posted by Stimpack (869 posts) -

This is absolutely fantastic.

#33 Edited by Floobar (15 posts) -

@stimpack: Thanks!

I haven't put much time into the extension for a while but here's a minor update with a bunch of backend nonsense that won't be noticed.

• From now on, playlists will be toggled through the menu as shown in the screenshot below which should be nicer for whoever uses both this extension and the GB Season Pass
  • Smoother/more animations all around
  • When the playlist is opened, it will scroll to the currently selected video
  • Playlist (max) height should now take up as much space as its container
  • Cleaned up the options page a little

#34 Posted by Lava (667 posts) -

@floobar: This thing continues to be a fantastic addition to the video player. I like the new toggle on the playlist a lot. Thanks for making this.

#35 Posted by HibikiRush (153 posts) -

I've found that new videos that I start will begin at random segments of the video, i.e. the middle or towards the end. Wonder if this is due to this plugin... Anyone else encounter something like this?

#36 Edited by Winsord (1226 posts) -

@hibikirush said:

I've found that new videos that I start will begin at random segments of the video, i.e. the middle or towards the end. Wonder if this is due to this plugin... Anyone else encounter something like this?

I just went ahead an installed it, after testing a couple of videos I'm not having any issues. If I remember correctly, one of the video player features is supposed to be that videos can resume from where you last left off; I'd assume you'd realize if this was the case (it really doesn't sound like it is from your post), but it's the only thing I can think of. Maybe trying clearing your cache/cookies for Giant Bomb if you haven't already and see if the problem persists?

Also, I don't know how I missed this extension before but it seems great! A big thanks for using limited/proper permission requirements too, I hate seeing site specific extensions ask for all site data.