Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Chrono Trigger for iOS

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Sunspots

Today, Chrono Trigger has been released for iOS and I was wondering if there are any Giantbombers out there that have had a chance to try it out. I am looking for feedback on the general feel and responsiveness of the touch controls and how the graphics translate to the iPhone display specifically. Does it take advantage of the retina display any? These kinda questions I am wondering about.

I most likely will be buying this for my phone as having a portable version of Chrono Trigger, (and me without a DS), is too hard of a thing to pass up.

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sunspots

I plan on reposting here with my impressions on the port once I download it.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NekuCTR

I was planning to download a rom and play it that way, but why not blow 6 bucks on this instead... be sure to get back to us on that quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I haven't played it, but my friend tried it out and was not pleased with the controls. According to him it uses a virtual analog stick and is very hard to move around, much less battle.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By InsidiousTuna

I picked it up right when I saw it available. It's a port of the DS version, with cleaned-up, gorgeous menus. It controls perfectly fine, using the same analog stick as the other Square RPGs on touchscreens- an analog stick pops up anywhere you touch the screen, and the whole screen acts as the A button. Combat works well, too, letting you swipe between enemies and party members onscreen. That dense art on an iPhone-sized screen in that widescreen ratio is absolutely gorgeous, too. It's a good port. Highly recommended.

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sunspots

Ok so, maybe it is my 3GS but the graphics seem to, I dunno, shadow a bit closer to the edges of the screen. Also you swipe the screen to switch enemies during battle and that is kinda clunky as I reselected a enemy inadvertently a few times.

The digital dpad kinda blows, and positioning to interact with environmental objects/npcs is slightly annoying.

Those are my general first impressions after downloading the game.

The other alternative for me was to hunt down SNES cartridge in order to give myself an excuse to turn on the old SNES. That option would probably cost me $80-$100......

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sunspots

@InsidiousTuna: I'll have to take some more time with it to adjust to the controls. I agree it does look sharp on the phone.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Sunspots: Dude, maybe if you're looking for a new copy. Used? Chrono Trigger SNES runs like $40 on Amazon and like $15 on eBay. There's also the PSOne version and the Virtual Console/PSN releases.

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sunspots

@Little_Socrates: Really? I was just assuming that it would be costly to find a SNES cartridge. I was not aware that it was released on PSN..... Oh well, that being said, I am glad I have it on my phone and on the go now.

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sunspots

@Little_Socrates: Thank you for the Amazon link!

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuCTR

@Sunspots: If it makes you feel any better every first day purchase of a Chrono Trigger product may promote them to make some more.... maybe.... I hope.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates

@NekuCTR: There will never be another Chrono Trigger, and let's hope it stays that way. There's no way a modern sequel could possibly live up to people's expectations.

AS FOR PORTS, BRING THEM ON!

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sunspots

@NekuCTR: If it is anything like Chrono Cross, I'll take a pass on any possibility of sequels

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By conker

@Sunspots: Anything about a possible Android release?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Enigma777
    @Little_Socrates: Oh shit. I forgot about the PSN release. Thanks for reminding me! I think I'll get that version instead and play it on my PSP/Vita. Buttons FTW!
    Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By holycrapitsadam

I think it plays totally fine. It uses a virtual analog stick for movement and has touch controls for attack, tech, items, etc. but it runs smooth and isn't to hard to play. I would say pick it up. I am NOT at all displeased with my purchase

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#18  Edited By elyk247

After playing it on the SNES, it seems iOS would be really awkward.

d0m3l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By d0m3l

got my copy and love every minute of playing it (on iPad :D )

Verse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Verse

It takes a bit of getting used to but when you get used to it and figure out all the controls I'd say it's pretty good, and that's coming from somebody who normally hates touch controls.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Majkiboy

Tested did a small test and it seems that there are some changes, noteworthy are some translations for techs and such. Also the interface is slicker and you see more of the battlefield :).

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By VisariLoyalist

@Gooddoggy said:

I haven't played it, but my friend tried it out and was not pleased with the controls. According to him it uses a virtual analog stick and is very hard to move around, much less battle.

I think you must mean a virtual D-Pad. Snes never had analog sticks.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By JasonR86

@NekuCTR said:

I was planning to download a rom and play it that way, but why not blow 6 bucks on this instead... be sure to get back to us on that quality.

Man...probably shouldn't have announced that on these forums dude.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By zidd

picking specific skills/targets during battle is harder than it needs to be. You should be able to just tap on the enemy/target and have more than 3 skills on the screen at once. Other than that its perfectly serviceable.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@VisariLoyalist: Like I said, I haven't played it - my friend said "analog stick." He may have misspoke.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By EightBitShik

I would be really interested in playing this game again on my phone if my battery lasted longer. I leave for China in just under a month and I would like to play games on my flight but sadly I do not have a portable system anymore. I have been using my roommates PSP but I don't feel comfortable taking it to China with me. So despite rather owning this game on the PSN I might just break down and get it have my battery on my phone die half way there.

It's 2011 we need a Michael Jordan of technology to come out with a bad ass battery.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.