• 60 results
#1 Posted by dr_mantas (1789 posts) -

So before logging in I saw they have a full page ad for the Civ V expansion.

And it doesn't look too bad, for what it's worth. Of course, members don't see it, which is great.

What do you think about this sort of advertising? I'm completely OK with it.

Of course it doesn't really matter what we think. Let's just share opinions :)

#2 Posted by Winternet (8004 posts) -

Can someone post a pic of it?

#3 Posted by Capt_Ventris (588 posts) -

@Winternet: Log out, have a look at it. Seems pretty cool

#4 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

It's not insulting or in the way of anything to me and relevant to my interests, so it's alright in my book.

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

I'm completely not ok with it, but what can you do?

#6 Edited by MattyFTM (14341 posts) -

Just before anyone starts the "OH MY GOD GIANT BOMB ARE SELLING OUT!!! SITE SKINS SUCK!!! THEY SAID THEY WOULD NEVER DO INVASIVE ADVERTISING LIKE THIS!!!!111oneoneone" that inevitably happens anytime site skins are mentioned, I'll just throw in a reminder they've done site skins in the past. Gears of war 2, Dragon Age Origins, Halo ODST all had homepage skins. I'm pretty sure there are more that I'm forgetting too. They've never been opposed to them.

#7 Posted by Creamypies (4050 posts) -

I'm guessing that this is US only, as I just logged out and couldn't see it.

#8 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -

I've always thought site skins to be less intrusive than goddamned meebo bars.

#9 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

Just before anyone starts the "OH MY GOD GIANT BOMB ARE SELLING OUT!!! SITE SKINS SUCK!!! THEY SAID THEY WOULD NEVER DO INVASIVE ADVERTISING LIKE THIS!!!!111oneoneone" that inevitably happens anytime site skins are mentioned, I'll just throw in a reminder they've done site skins in the past. Gears of war 2, Dragon Age Origins, Halo ODST and others all had homepage skins. I'm pretty sure there are more that I'm forgetting too. They've never been opposed to them.

I remember Bioshock 2 being heavily advertised.

#10 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@Creamypies said:

I logged out too and didn't see it.

Can someone Post a pic? I don't feel like logging out again lol.

#11 Posted by Aishan (1009 posts) -

@Seedofpower said:

@Creamypies said:

Here you go:

#12 Posted by BigDaveisCheap (22 posts) -

Hey people have to make a living. GB has always had very few ads compared to many other major sites out there and if this means that the content can continue to flow at the high level of quality it always has then I'd gladly view this and more ads. That said I am happy that this is mostly unobtrusive though the first time I saw it I was a bit shocked and checked my bar to make sure I hadn't surfed to RPS instead.

#13 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@Aishan said:

@Seedofpower said:

@Creamypies said:

Here you go:

Damn that skin look pretty baller. Good to see the crew get some real ads and it being a good game to boot.

#14 Edited by Village_Guy (2491 posts) -

As by popular request, I'll post a picture of it since some people don't see it.

Personally I think it is fine and it is way better than the fucking-awful Meebo bar. Now if only it wouldn't be a sharp cut at the top of it.

EDIT: Damn you @Aishan! D:

#15 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

Just before anyone starts the "OH MY GOD GIANT BOMB ARE SELLING OUT!!! SITE SKINS SUCK!!! THEY SAID THEY WOULD NEVER DO INVASIVE ADVERTISING LIKE THIS!!!!111oneoneone" that inevitably happens anytime site skins are mentioned, I'll just throw in a reminder they've done site skins in the past. Gears of war 2, Dragon Age Origins, Halo ODST all had homepage skins. I'm pretty sure there are more that I'm forgetting too. They've never been opposed to them.

We have always been at war with Eurasia.

j/k

I'm fine with them because they offer a pretty straight forward way of getting rid of them. And sometimes I just want my eyes BLASTED!

#16 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Ya i've always liked the full skin adds but the top where it just cuts kind of sucks. I kind of wish the odst was still available.

#17 Posted by KosmoK (63 posts) -

It can also be seen outside the US, but maybe not everywhere. I don't mind it, at least it's well made.

In any case it's still better than the occasional "Phillipino Cupid" ads I keep getting later in the evening or at night. That is actually quite annoying.

#18 Posted by Pacmanlh (77 posts) -

The ad scared the shit out of me because it was just the regular site and then the ad popped out of nowhere. You can't hate on them for getting some more ad revenue though.

#19 Posted by TheHT (10871 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

Wow. I don't remember any of those.

Anyways, I don't like it as much as I don't like "site skin" ads on other sites. It's annoying, but at least when I scroll down the picture doesn't scroll down with me. And at least it's only on the front page.

#20 Posted by Winternet (8004 posts) -

I logged out and still couldn't see it. Why is that? Is it USA & Canada only ads?

#21 Posted by CannonGoose (372 posts) -

The simple fact that clicking the background image doesn't take you to another site is a gigantic win for this ad.

#22 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

It looks better than the default plain skin. If I was a member I'd still want to see it, to be honest. It looks good.

#24 Posted by spree4567 (138 posts) -

I'm in the USA and still didn't see it when I logged out, weird. Skin doesn't look too bad though. And it's for (what should be) a good game.

#25 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

They have been saying for quite a while there will be these kind of ads.

#26 Posted by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

That banner at the top is huge.

#27 Posted by Humanity (8801 posts) -

OH MY GOD GIANT BOMB ARE SELLING OUT!!! SITE SKINS SUCK!!! THEY SAID THEY WOULD NEVER DO INVASIVE ADVERTISING LIKE THIS!!!!111oneoneone

#28 Posted by Bollard (5245 posts) -

@CannonGoose said:

The simple fact that clicking the background image doesn't take you to another site is a gigantic win for this ad.

I was just about to say, I actually am in favour of these ads if they A) look good, and B) don't take you away from the site.

This ad hits both of those marks so good on it!

#29 Posted by ez123 (1944 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

You sure? I remember those skins being in the pages of the games that were advertised but not the homepage.

#30 Posted by RecSpec (3761 posts) -

Looks pretty awesome.

#31 Posted by Panpipe (472 posts) -

Ewww, I bet Alexis is cringing at the look of the site right now.

I'm all for it, I think site themes are the most fun way of advertising on sites, but the way the grey background of GB harshly cuts through the background picture...

#32 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I could do without the banner at the top, but that's just because it sticks out like a sore thumb. At least give it context for being there, instead of just being a box pasted there. I know, I know, I'm crazy v.v

Sharp cut off at the top is weird, I'd have thought it'd just go all the way up.

YUCK. I just looked at it on my screen. Not making a fucking skin extend out at LEAST 1920 is ridiculous. HD monitors are common place, yet here we have ugly black bars, that top thing, and the banner at the top that stocks out from the rest of it. I thought it was ok at first glance with the first shot posted, but looking at it closely on my screen, I think it looks ghetto as fuck.

#33 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

The only problem I have with it is that the banner doesn't blend in to the background. That's just me being annoyed when things aren't lined up perfectly though.

#34 Posted by Ashcrack1087 (45 posts) -

I really couldn't care less.

#35 Posted by trotoise (34 posts) -

I like it because of the man wearing a bear. In fact, I'd like him to sternly oversee my browsing of Giant Bomb at all times.

#36 Posted by Kaiserreich (684 posts) -

Thank god for adblock

#37 Posted by adoggz (2040 posts) -

Giant Bomb? More like Giant Sellout if you ask me. Huh, huh? Get it? Because they have an ad they are sellouts, yeah? No? Ok ill go.

#38 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Doesn't really bother me to be honest.

#39 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

It doesn't bother me (even if I wasn't a premium member). I think ads like that are less intrusive than massive banner ads that disrupt the flow of the site or annoying video ads you're forced to watch before a 30 second trailer.

#40 Posted by ShadowVirus (793 posts) -

It's cool they they got these ads and all, but I personally don't like this one, it doesn't flow well with the page, for example how the header just cuts offs into the advert, and it makes the main content of the page that little bit smaller. Not a huge fan but luckily I don't have to see it.

#41 Posted by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

I'm okay with this. Even though I won't see it. But I kinda liked the Halo ODST-skin they had before, so if they did skins like that one in the future I'm down with that even more.

#42 Posted by MattyFTM (14341 posts) -

@ez123 said:

@MattyFTM said:

You sure? I remember those skins being in the pages of the games that were advertised but not the homepage.

The Halo ODST also had skins for Halo related pages, but all of them had homepage skins.

#43 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Celtic chick is kind of hot.

#44 Posted by ch3burashka (5004 posts) -

As long as it isn't an overlay, or does that thing where it unwraps slowly and moves the entire page (looking at you IGN) then I'm alright with it.

#45 Posted by MocBucket62 (1146 posts) -

I think the ad looks cool, but I'll not make a big deal about it.

#46 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

Well Civ 5 is awesome, so that's cool.

#47 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

On almost any other site, I'd probably say it looks great. But it looks REALLY goofy with the Black&Red Giant Bomb to me.

Still, a goofy-looking ad doesn't bother me, especially because I'm a subscriber.

#48 Posted by forkboy (1115 posts) -

It definitely seems an improvement on the Vita skin that meant parts of the site were difficult to read when that system launched in Europe. That annoyed me greatly

#49 Posted by skyline7284 (503 posts) -

Guys the white version of the site looks terrible with the skin. Like i love the white design, but man it's really terrible with the skin on it.

#50 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

I am cool with it. I think its good they finally got some ads on the site.