Civilians In videogames?

SpikeSpiegel88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpikeSpiegel88

The question came up on Kotako this morning, and It got me thinking...

With developers striving for  "realistic warfare"  this current generation of FPS releases (or any generation for that matter), they allways tend to leave out the most caotic and indeed common result of warfare: Civilians and Civilian Casulties.

My instant response to the issue was that if they included civilians, kids, women walking the streets, too many players would go on murderous rampages, making compilations of it and posting it on youtube ect just because they COULD. Developers would get hate from News Channels, parents ect ect..
 But:

Then it hit me. If I was playing a game set in a modern day war-situation, lets say afganistan, and I had to keep my eyes up every single second whilest walking trough a town because everyone walking around me could, or could not be the person who kills me. If a shootout had civilians running around in panic, me and my co-op players had to keep our heads down WHILEST at the same time watch out fire, save the civilians and indeed be stessfully trying to find out where the enemys were amongst the croud. Wouldn't that be the most realistic, heart-pounding experience in an fps? Atleast for me it would. I am one of the people that WOULDN'T straight away just plough down everyone, id watch my fire at every firefight, and then the impact of someone actually running into my crosshairs by mistake would be ever more devestating.

This shit happens in the real world every day.

To counter what I have just said, this would be a truly scary and excilerating experience, but then it would also be sort of wrong.. Soliders are in these situations every single day, and they (hopefully) aren't having "fun" with it. If we came too close to reality that reality became a game, then that would also be harmfull and kinda disrespectfull to those actually in these situations (pro  current conflicts or not) What is great about these types of games is that it ISN'T reality, it is a hightened, safe place where we can express our ... darker needs for sports, be the action-hero from the movies, enjoy a well written story (the later quite lost in most fps)

I honestly understand why they don't do it, do I agree, mostly perhaps, but I for one would love to try the game that does it, atleast just to get those sensations once..

thoughts?

(There mods, now I wrote a propper one;)

SpikeSpiegel88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SpikeSpiegel88

The question came up on Kotako this morning, and It got me thinking...

With developers striving for  "realistic warfare"  this current generation of FPS releases (or any generation for that matter), they allways tend to leave out the most caotic and indeed common result of warfare: Civilians and Civilian Casulties.

My instant response to the issue was that if they included civilians, kids, women walking the streets, too many players would go on murderous rampages, making compilations of it and posting it on youtube ect just because they COULD. Developers would get hate from News Channels, parents ect ect..
 But:

Then it hit me. If I was playing a game set in a modern day war-situation, lets say afganistan, and I had to keep my eyes up every single second whilest walking trough a town because everyone walking around me could, or could not be the person who kills me. If a shootout had civilians running around in panic, me and my co-op players had to keep our heads down WHILEST at the same time watch out fire, save the civilians and indeed be stessfully trying to find out where the enemys were amongst the croud. Wouldn't that be the most realistic, heart-pounding experience in an fps? Atleast for me it would. I am one of the people that WOULDN'T straight away just plough down everyone, id watch my fire at every firefight, and then the impact of someone actually running into my crosshairs by mistake would be ever more devestating.

This shit happens in the real world every day.

To counter what I have just said, this would be a truly scary and excilerating experience, but then it would also be sort of wrong.. Soliders are in these situations every single day, and they (hopefully) aren't having "fun" with it. If we came too close to reality that reality became a game, then that would also be harmfull and kinda disrespectfull to those actually in these situations (pro  current conflicts or not) What is great about these types of games is that it ISN'T reality, it is a hightened, safe place where we can express our ... darker needs for sports, be the action-hero from the movies, enjoy a well written story (the later quite lost in most fps)

I honestly understand why they don't do it, do I agree, mostly perhaps, but I for one would love to try the game that does it, atleast just to get those sensations once..

thoughts?

(There mods, now I wrote a propper one;)

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lockwoodx

This would have made a nice poll.

Do you typically shoot people cowering in a FPS?

Yes?

No?

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sirdesmond

@SpikeSpiegel88 said:

If I was playing a game set in a modern day war-situation, lets say Afghanistan, and I had to keep my eyes up every single second whilst walking trough a town because everyone walking around me could, or could not be the person who kills me. If a shootout had civilians running around in panic, me and my co-op players had to keep our heads down WHILST at the same time watch out fire, save the civilians and indeed be stressfuly trying to find out where the enemies were amongst the crowd, wouldn't that be the most realistic, heart-pounding experience in an fps?

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Who cares man, developers can include women and children, but they don't have to. Either way i won't shoot them.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Yanngc33

@Buzzkill said:

Yes?

No?

Everyone can answer that question, and the answer is yes. Seeing how for most people see video games are a place with no consequences (which is true) why not shoot the cowering civilian, just for funsies

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Driam

Having people run around a war-torn middle-eastern street flailing their arms about and screaming in panic instead of hiding in a basement somewhere is not realistic.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder
@Yanngc33 said:

@Buzzkill said:

Yes?

No?

Everyone can answer that question, and the answer is yes. Seeing how for most people see video games are a place with no consequences (which is true) why not shoot the cowering civilian, just for funsies

o_o

Speak for yourself; I hate having to kill civilians/friendly characters/etc...
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Actually a great post, but as it's nearing 5 and I get to go home soon, all I'll say is this: 

Cannon Fodder.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Skytylz

That sounds amazing, I'd play that game.  

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jetsetwillie

doesn't MW2 have a spec ops level like that. 

SpikeSpiegel88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpikeSpiegel88

@Jets:  The "No Russian" level of modern warfare is not like that, you are an undercover agent with terrorists attacking an airport. You can choose not to shoot anything, but 90% of people playing it ended up plowing people down, just because you... can. Not what I was talking about ^^

@Driam: You completely missed my point.... Also, if this game was to be made it would have to be handled with utmost care.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Belonpopo

The original Ghost Recon had civilians, dead civilians equaled failed mission.