Class People, Class

Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Edited By Joseppie

The QotW video got posted. Somehow I got put into it. Kinda cool. Reading the comment thread? Not cool.

This is the internet. People will be jerks about anything. It's a fact of life. One needs look no further than /b/.  I also understand where people are coming from--Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny are the reason many come to this fine site.

However, to be so negative, so angry, so violent, and so personal in opposition of an attempt by them to include the community to a greater degree? It's straight depressing and kind of unsettling. C'mon people, we're better than this.

Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Joseppie

The QotW video got posted. Somehow I got put into it. Kinda cool. Reading the comment thread? Not cool.

This is the internet. People will be jerks about anything. It's a fact of life. One needs look no further than /b/.  I also understand where people are coming from--Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny are the reason many come to this fine site.

However, to be so negative, so angry, so violent, and so personal in opposition of an attempt by them to include the community to a greater degree? It's straight depressing and kind of unsettling. C'mon people, we're better than this.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Disgaeamad

My thoughts exactly. People seem to be forgetting that this is a community driven site, and so the staff will attempt to involve us occassionally. If people don't like that, then I don't know what to say.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike
Joseppie said:
However, to be so negative, so angry, so violent, and so personal in opposition of an attempt by them to include the community to a greater degree? It's straight depressing and kind of unsettling."
Hey man, I liked your comments on the video.  Well said. 

Anyway, I'm going to start banning people who think they can get away with being abusive to other members.  I think we're all better off without them.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Disgaeamad
MB said:
"Anyway, I'm going to start banning people who think they can get away with being abusive to other members.  I think we're all better off without them."
Best news I've heard all day.
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By tokyochicken

I said this in the comment thread already so I'll just copy and paste it here:

I hate being that guy who just says "Ignore everything you go and do what you do!!" but this really constitutes this what's been said in this comment list so far has been really offensive to some good people in this video. Sure if you don't like this just don't watch but don't be an asshole about it, there's no point. Its the internet so I don't know why I'm feeling so bad about this. 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike
Disgaeamad said:
"MB said:
"Anyway, I'm going to start banning people who think they can get away with being abusive to other members.  I think we're all better off without them."
Best news I've heard all day.
"
Fixed...the quoting system can be tricky sometimes, but Joseppie didn't say that, I did.  But yeah, we can't just ban people for one negative comment.  It has to be recurring behavior or something so bad it warrants a suspension or a ban.  It's difficult to keep a hands-off approach to moderating the forums, but stuff like this simply will not stand.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike
Meltbrain said:
...and by the 50+ comments after those of people being all SCREW THE HATERS.

Kinda like how everyone feels the need to chime in with "inb4lock" when a spam thread gets posted?
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Captain_Fookup

People were hating on the members huh? I think it's great that the guys are involving us in the videos and more so the community as a whole.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I think my comment on the video sums up my thoughts on this issue perfectly: "I quite enjoyed this video. To all the people complaining about it, you don't have to like every single feature a site has. The point is that some people like it, and that's fine. If it's not your thing, then just don't watch them in the future. There's no need to be jerks about it."

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Hamz

I find it funny that the community complains the Staff don't do enough activities to get the community and them involved and taking part in an activity on the site. And when they do extend that opportunity and some of the users on this site take the chance to be apart of it. The rest of you decide to go and shit on them for it.

It takes a lot of courage to actually produce a video and express an opinion on something over the internet. Not many people are comfortable about letting others see what they look, act and sound like and when they do actually show this the last thing they want is to be insulted by the rest of you.

So what would the community rather have? Activities like this where barely anyone is willing to take part because they can't be bothered seeing other people's offensive comments or a community that is willing to take part in this stuff and provide fun, entertainment and food for thought?

I know I would rather see a lot more of the community be willing to take time and be apart of these sort of activities than to see people unwilling to do so because the rest of the community can't understand how to be civil.

Pro tip for you all. GiantBomb has two major rules

1.) Use common sense.
2.) Don't be a dick.

A number of you broke both of those with your comments over the KZ2 question video replies. Now we try to be relaxed here when we moderate, we really really do. But if the community cannot be civil to one another, cannot abide by those two simple rules (as well as the other rules in the FAQ) then maybe we'll have to start cracking the whip a little more until people listen?

To those fine folks who took part in this then congratulations and well done! Don't be disheartened from doing so in the future!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Well said Hamz. Very well said.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Well, I'm loving how the staff are involving themselves and the community so much in their videos, I guess the only reason I the video niggled me was because I'm too terrified to get involved.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Don't even worry about it mate, I long ago stop caring about what fools on the internet think. I thought the video was OK although there is definite room for improvement - not from you, you did what was asked of you. I think the structure could be greatly improved, also they could have raised awareness by promoting it on the bombcast or something. I didn't know it was happening otherwise I might have sent in my own.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By irishjohn

I agree completely.  I was a bit disappointed by it all and wrote a blog post on it.  Since then, I've realised that these people are in the minority at this site.  A lot of users were much more positive, or at least refrained from being jerks, in their comments.  A few more objected to the more personal and downright rude comments.

Congratulations on getting your video included!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK

every internet meme in the universe originated form /b/ at one point...

ALso i have never ever really seen hate on this site except to comicvine users (for some strange strange reason. i guess humans will be humans... puny humans)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
crunchUK said:
"every internet meme in the universe originated form /b/ at one point..."
Lot's of sites (including giant bomb) have memes that are specific to their site. Not all memes are from /b/.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By tekmojo

I wanted to post a video but get discouraged whenever I hear news like this.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Disgaeamad
crunchUK said:
crunch, you realise that you're not cool or hip for browsing that place, don't you?
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK
MattyFTM said:
"crunchUK said:
Lot's of sites (including giant bomb) have memes that are specific to their site. Not all memes are from /b/.
"
ok then, all the international internet memes originated from /b/ at one point

Disgaeamad said:
"crunchUK said:
crunch, you realise that you're not cool or hip for browsing that place, don't you?"
You realize you're not cool or hip for acting like you're too cool and hip to browse that place, don't you? the answer is most probably a no (admit it, you're such a loser), but wtf i tried

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead
crunchUK said:
"MattyFTM said:
"crunchUK said:
"
"
Elaborate on what this 'international internet' is.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK
HandsomeDead said:
"crunchUK said:
"MattyFTM said:
"crunchUK said:
"
"
Elaborate on what this 'international internet' is.
"
example: lolcats. everyone (almost) knows what they are
Avatar image for captainlunchbox
Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By Captainlunchbox

/b/ is ridiculous. It's a troll's wet dream. I got on Giantbomb to get away from all the other forums that were just turning into trolling grounds. I hope there's a crazy zero tolerance policy with these bans. People who want to treat everything like it's 4chan should just stay there.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Player1

It was extremely disappointing to see the comments. Sadly, I think alot of people conformed, and were strayed by popular opinion.

So what if it was awkward? For some of those guys it may have been there first video ever.

I want all those haters to TAPE themselves for the first time, and realize that its not as easy as you would think to be normal in front of a camera.

You did a great job btw, great to put a face to the name :)

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#26  Edited By citizenkane

MB is going to drop the BAN HAMMER on you fools.

I, personally, have a Ban Sceptre.  If I recall correctly, Hamz has a Ban Trident.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Jayge_
Captainlunchbox said:
"/b/ is ridiculous. It's a troll's wet dream. I got on Giantbomb to get away from all the other forums that were just turning into trolling grounds. I hope there's a crazy zero tolerance policy with these bans. People who want to treat everything like it's 4chan should just stay there."
wat
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Disgaeamad
CitizenKane said:
" If I recall correctly, Hamz has a Ban Trident."
Ok, this confirms it. Scottish people and tridents are eternally linked.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
CitizenKane said:
"MB is going to drop the BAN HAMMER on you fools.

I, personally, have a Ban Sceptre.  If I recall correctly, Hamz has a Ban Trident.
"
That MB is so unsophisticated.