Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -
50GB of .mp4 .wmv and .mpg ... what is a .mpg ???

I have been a long time reader and viewer of Giant Bomb and before that, GameSpot. A couple years ago I decided that it would be a great idea to download and watch the "On The Spot" archive, you know, the old GameSpot liveshow that had many of the Giant Bomb duders. I just found these videos after backing up my PC and since they are nowhere to be found, I think it would be fun to finally start watching these and archive them back to THE INTERNET for all to enjoy.

Hopefully I will also be able to find some funny or informative segments too. I did already upload a "Quick Look" of Gears of War a couple years ago.

Will I really watch all 144 episodes? Will I really timestamp the show segments? Will I learn VirtualDub and Adobe Premiere while editing these videos? Will @jeff have blonde hair? Only the future can tell

(No I don't have every episode, many of the download links on the old GameSpot site were dead. Now then, let's get this train rolling.)

On The Spot - July 8, 2004 "MECH_JACK"

Hosts: Rich Gallup, Ryan MacDonald, also with Greg Kasavin!!!

On The Spot - July 15, 2004 "LucasArts: Still Alive"

Short episode. Not much happens in this episode but it's still interesting to see what was hot around the summer of 2004

Hosts: Rich Gallup, Ryan MacDonald

On The Spot - Jul 22, 2004 "A Lot Of Stuff"

The best part is when they start talking about this Final Fantasy 11 clock that shows the game's clock and it costs $45. I don't even know what to think about that. The big friday show also spends some serious time talking about A Dog's Life. Yes, that Dog's Life. Brad continues to be bad at video games as well. I'm sure that UT server is still up; 69.93.60.93 PW: gamespot

Hosts: Rich Gallup, Ryan MacDonald

We've got so much stuff coming up, it's like a lot of stuff. - Rich Gallup

That's it folks. It's pretty interesting to see the media 10 years ago. Thanks for reading and enjoy this Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat preview.

#1 Posted by Szlifier (479 posts) -

This is great, Duder.

#2 Edited by Vod_Crack (704 posts) -

Aww this is really sad... this was all nearly 10 years ago!

I love that you are trying to get up as much OTS stuff as you can! I hope we can get as much as we can. I loved the end of the 8th of July episode there, with Tim Tracy.

#3 Posted by Itwongo (1127 posts) -

Jungle Beat was the shit.

#4 Posted by TurboMan (7402 posts) -

Oh man... that TV!

Oh man... those computer monitors!

Oh man... I've been watching this stuff for about 10 years!

#5 Posted by Danteveli (1160 posts) -

Thats great. On the Spot was really cool show and i would love to see the archive episodes again but I can't find them on Gamespot. Sadly youtube is blocked in China. Hope it still up in the summer when I will go back to the civilization and be able to watch them again.

#6 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

"Sheds a single tear"

This was the shit man !

#7 Posted by Superfriend (1526 posts) -

Thank you! So many great memories. Even though I only started to watch their stuff regularly in 2006.

#8 Posted by RazielCuts (2933 posts) -

This is great stuff! Thanks man, some pure nostalgia heart strings here. On the Spot and the Hotspot were so good, that combo of people were magic times.

Can I make a request from some Button Mashing episodes? 'When I say Button you say...'

#9 Posted by Wampa1 (626 posts) -

@mendelson9: Thanks man! That clocks totally worth the Cash it's the coolest thing he's ever seen, TWO TIMES ON IT!

I love that Jungle Beat inspired Ryan to talk about Nintendo getting into creative stuff again, I feel like we have that conversation every generation with Nintendo's core franchises. Weird to see history repeat itself.

#10 Posted by csl316 (8122 posts) -

Man, I can't wait for Jungle Beat.

Seeing this in order rather than in snippets is very intriguing.

#11 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5239 posts) -

This is great :D

#12 Posted by Belegorm (354 posts) -

Man back in high school I loved watching OTS. Never listened to the Hotspot sadly, but I really enjoyed the old GS days. The NES and Playstation flashback features were pretty great too.

#13 Edited by ikabubu (201 posts) -

Ten years of my life.

Looking back at it all and laughing with those guys. A decade went by, and it both feels like: so much has changed, yet so little has. That includes me, and this community. It's a strange mix of nostalgia, solidarity, and bittersweetness. The things we loved will never stay the same, yet somehow still be there, if we know how to look. We didn't care at the time, we were all just having fun. But now, all we can do is hold on, while looking forward to the new.

Growing old is weird. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

P.S. It's amazing how stiff in front of a camera some of those guys were. Almost as if they weren't used to being recorded. I'm looking at you Shoemaker.

#14 Posted by shatteringlast (205 posts) -

Awesome idea!

#15 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

I'm watching these again with a big smile on my face, thanks.

Jeff's blonde hair was fucking amazing lol.

#16 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

@mendelson9: There are some key episodes that I adore but couldn't download last time I tried. The console launch livestreams being the main ones but also the UNO A UNO episode is packed with amazing moments.

#17 Posted by BaconGames (3292 posts) -

The origin of my mother not understanding why I couldn't go downstairs to eat because damnit there's a thing on the internet that's live!

#18 Posted by Ben_H (3311 posts) -

I found Rich's gigantic pants from the July 8th episode quite amusing. I can't believe that was a thing. My brother wore pants like that

#19 Posted by probablytuna (3539 posts) -

I remember spending every week at an internet cafe watching On The Spot because my internet at home was so crap (still is). This is going to bring back so many memories that I have long forgotten. Now if only someone could find a way to upload episodes of the Hotspot...

#20 Edited by Vuud (1943 posts) -

Who is Ryan McDonald? He looks like the Other Darren to our Jeff Gerstmann.

This stuff is so Oughts (Oughties?) I just shat my memory pants.

#21 Edited by crithon (3081 posts) -

everyone was so thin..... lack of drinking while working.

the on the spot theme..... GOD, brings back memories. Thanks for reminding me.

#22 Posted by Roboculus92 (483 posts) -

Thanks a lot for doing this. I've had difficulty trying to track these down in the past so it's great that you're doing this now.

#23 Posted by Rustafur (90 posts) -

Great post, duder. Always fun to "Take a trip in the way-back-machine." Long live hack radio!

#24 Posted by Jothel (913 posts) -

Hooooly shiiiiiit

#25 Edited by ZombiePie (5585 posts) -

@mendelson9: Hey duder, try and get in touch with Rich or Dan Mihoerck (Current Video Production Manager and Archivist at GameSpot) on Twitter. They both may have some older episodes of "On the Spot" that are not on GameSpot anymore and totally want to see you do this:

#26 Edited by Zornack (190 posts) -

Oh man, you have the Wii episode! I never got around to watching that and when I tried to I found out that GameSpot doesn't have it anymore. It's apparently fantastic. I will wait in giddy anticipation for the youtube upload. You are my savior!

#27 Posted by Aronleon (734 posts) -

Oh man the memories I will be reliving some old memories and holy shit the long blond hair Jeff its breaking my mind.

#29 Edited by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

@razielcuts: I think the download links for Button Mashing were all broken I definitely would have download them. A few episodes exist on YouTube.

@zombiepie: Nice, I will definitely contact them once I get a list together of all the videos I have.

I will try to upload and tag a couple videos per week. Glad that people are enjoying this. :)

#30 Posted by bgdiner (275 posts) -

In between writing terrible amateur reviews and arguing over whether the PS2 was better than the Xbox, I loved watching On the Spot on Gamespot, so thanks!

#31 Posted by bgdiner (275 posts) -

In between writing terrible amateur reviews and arguing over whether the PS2 was better than the Xbox, I loved watching On the Spot on Gamespot, so thanks!