Closed systems vs. open systems

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hamst3r

This is an opening of a discussion I was having with Diamond.

The discussion with him was wrapped as PC vs. Console, but in reality the real discussion is closed systems vs. open systems.

Hopefully I can get at least one thoughtful response to this question:

Why do gamers - and more so, gaming journalists - support the closed nature of the consoles?

With a console, you are fully at the whim of a single company. They control everything.

They can shut down multiplayer servers, remove backwards compatibility, change the media formats and peripherals their console will accept, limit who can put content on their system, limit what kind of content is permitted, pull user-created content as they wish, force software updates on you or call it quits and stop making their system all together. It's a closed and controlled system. This is nowhere near a full list of downsides either.

These are events which have already happened on various consoles too, so these are not simply presumptuous predictions.

Why are gamers okay with this?

Again. this isn't even a PC vs. Console debate - as it's possible to make a console with an open system design.

Let's keep personal attacks to a minimum, I haven't made any and if I'm wrong anywhere feel free to correct me - I don't claim to be a book of facts.

Go.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hamst3r

Oh and seriously: 

This isn't PC vs. Console. A console can be an open system - or at least, a more open system than it is.

It's a matter of control and the fact that right now console gamers are handing it all over.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

That's a good question. One question that I have ponder on. I'll say this for now, as much headaches as the PC gives me in comparison to consoles, I've got much more freedom with my PC, I know what hardware I've installed on it, I know which games and mods I've got as well as I find the PC easier to use in a lot of respects.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By torus

I don't support those closed systems. That is why I'm an open-source developer, and that is why I abhor the idea of OnLive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Why do we not live in a total state of freedom rather than let out lives be controlled by the government?   

Edit: To comment on the topic, some people might prefer closed system because they are dedicated platforms designed specifically for gaming and "easier" to just get in a game. Closed things tend to be more structured, but this comes at the price of control. I really just stated the above because, in my opinion, this topic can really be applied to a lot of things not just video games.  

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

We discussed your definition of PC but we didn't really discuss our preferences as far as closed versus open systems.  I make that point so I can give my opinion to the forum.  Personally I enjoy both.

Closed systems (at least in the cases of gaming consoles) are far more efficient, technically and in cost.  Companies sell most of these closed systems at a loss, meaning the customer gets a good deal, and the company makes money on software.  Companies can control closed system standards and hardware, so when you buy software for it there's a larger guarantee it will work 100%.  Generally the risk of MP servers being shut down, getting content removed (when user content is allowed), or generally anything that disrupts the already existing level of service is a low one.

In terms of open systems, I enjoy them when I get something out of the open nature.  A freeware game like Vanguard Princess, emulators for old systems, or the occasional cool mod.

Legally you're always at risk of a company pulling the plug on you, MS turning off XBLA, Valve shutting down Steam.  There have been illegal ways to bypass these problems on both open & closed systems, it's just easier to bypass on an open system.

edit - I think the most important thing in terms of pure gaming, I always follow the content.  All of the small problems go out the window when it's just about me playing a game and being able to enjoy it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's just a simple matter of preference.  And yes, this is a console vs PC debate because as of yet, the PC is the only "open system" right now.  All the negatives of the PC just make console gaming more comfortable and fun, even if the companies can control everything.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hamst3r
@FluxWaveZ: There is an open console in the works: Pandora Handheld.

And no, yet again, this isn't PC vs. Console, even if the PC is the only "open platform". It's about control.
MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrMuise

I put a game in my closed system and it works.  

Consoles are to Gaming as The Mac is to computers. They just work, no fuss no hassle, you want to play a game... you can!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamst3r
@Diamond said:
"Generally the risk of MP servers being shut down, getting content removed (when user content is allowed), or generally anything that disrupts the already existing level of service is a low one.
I think the most important thing in terms of pure gaming, I always follow the content.  All of the small problems go out the window when it's just about me playing a game and being able to enjoy it. "

The thing is - the things I mentioned have actually happened. Also, what is Microsoft going to do about Halo 2 and the Friends List limit? How about in 4 or 5 years? What about on the XBOX 720? As for content getting removed: We already talked about Little Big Planet. It happens. There's also the content you simply don't get at all, such as mods (which can be of the caliber Team Fortress, Counterstrike and DotA).

Lastly, in terms of following the content: what if the content is leading you into a trap? Yes, I know that sounds very extreme, but I'm exaggerating to make a point. What if they increase the price of 360 games and Live? What if you've bought movies on Live and they dump the movies feature, rendering all your purchased content unusable? Basically, what if this turns tyrannical?
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Hamst3r said:
" @FluxWaveZ: There is an open console in the works: Pandora Handheld.
Interesting. I wonder how that is going to pan out.
MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrMuise
@Hamst3r: Then you buy a ps3. Just like if games started coming out only supporting DX10, you'd have to buy a new operating system and for some people a new computer to support the new video card they'd have to get. Although an operating system is a closed platform, any sort of open platform would be extremely hard to program for would confuse most people and the cost would not be worth it to most companies. Which is why there are fewer large games coming out for the PC, or exclusively for the PC. It's harder to do, tinkering with computers to get games to work confuses most people and therefore sales are lower. 
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By StarFoxA

In short: money. I can't afford to constantly upgrade my system to be able to play all the games I want to, therefore I have to sacrifice the freedom of a PC in order to play the games I want to. Paying $200 - $300 for a system that is guaranteed to entertain me for at least four to five years is better than paying thousands for a system that I'll have to keep updating every year.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Diamond
@Hamst3r said:
The thing is - the things I mentioned have actually happened. Also, what is Microsoft going to do about Halo 2 and the Friends List limit? How about in 4 or 5 years? What about on the XBOX 720? As for content getting removed: We already talked about Little Big Planet. It happens. There's also the content you simply don't get at all, such as mods (which can be of the caliber Team Fortress, Counterstrike and DotA).  Lastly, in terms of following the content: what if the content is leading you into a trap? Yes, I know that sounds very extreme, but I'm exaggerating to make a point. What if they increase the price of 360 games and Live? What if you've bought movies on Live and they dump the movies feature, rendering all your purchased content unusable? Basically, what if this turns tyrannical?
Still the risk is very small.  Chromehounds got shut down, but hardly anyone was playing that, and I never even found my way into a clan in that game anyways, so I wasn't playing it either.  The levels being taken down from Little Big Planet sucked, but that game wasn't on another platform anyways.  I haven't played Halo 2 since 2005, it's just another of those things that most people don't care about.

People move on, even in PC games.  Want to play a game of Quake Team Fortress on PC?  Good luck.  It's almost impossible to get in a game of Quakeworld.  Sure I could set up a LAN with friends, but you can do that with a bunch of console games too.

Consoles have been around a long while, I generally don't expect any major pulling out of the carpet under us.  The model has remained the same.  As far as it goes, that's the one thing IMO that could really bring a true uprising of PC gaming, if console gamers were getting truly screwed over.  Worst comes to worst people would move to another platform, or to an open platform.
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fbomb

For me it's definitely the fact that I have a one-time investment that, when I buy a game, I know will work without having to mess around with settings or upgrades.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@eroticfishcake said:
" @Hamst3r said:
Interesting. I wonder how that is going to pan out. "
Since neither of us have heard of it, and according to the Wikipedia page the first shipment will be a batch of 4000 units, my guess is: not good.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" @Hamst3r said:
Interesting. I wonder how that is going to pan out. "
Since neither of us have heard of it, and according to the Wikipedia page the first shipment will be a batch of 4000 units, my guess is: not good. "
It looks good on paper though. At least, the nerd in me is telling me.
Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pepsicolaboy
@MrMuise said:
" I put a game in my closed system and it works.   Consoles are to Gaming as The Mac is to computers. They just work, no fuss no hassle, you want to play a game... you can! "
Even though I kinda hate everything about this comment...i totally agree. I cant stand Macs, but to their credit they do a remarkably good job of adressing some of the most prominent issues surrounding PC's. 

Perhaps more relevant to the topic however, is that simple statement; 'I put a game in my closed system and it works'. You can argue night and day about the theoretical and technical limitations or shortcomings of consoles (or so called 'closed systems'), but the feaure that unifies the entire 'closed system' user base is simply reliability. 
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ
@Hamst3r said:
" This is an opening of a discussion I was having with Diamond.

The discussion with him was wrapped as PC vs. Console, but in reality the real discussion is closed systems vs. open systems.

Hopefully I can get at least one thoughtful response to this question:

Why do gamers - and more so, gaming journalists - support the closed nature of the consoles?

With a console, you are fully at the whim of a single company. They control everything.

They can shut down multiplayer servers, remove backwards compatibility, change the media formats and peripherals their console will accept, limit who can put content on their system, limit what kind of content is permitted, pull user-created content as they wish, force software updates on you or call it quits and stop making their system all together. It's a closed and controlled system. This is nowhere near a full list of downsides either.

These are events which have already happened on various consoles too, so these are not simply presumptuous predictions.

Why are gamers okay with this? Again. this isn't even a PC vs. Console debate - as it's possible to make a console with an open system design. Let's keep personal attacks to a minimum, I haven't made any and if I'm wrong anywhere feel free to correct me - I don't claim to be a book of facts. Go. "

Because consoles (closed systems) are cheaper to maintain (in the sense of not upgrading, buying a console at launch essentially guarantees having current gen games for at least 5 years, something an open platform can't necessarily promise), and are designed for big-ass TVs.  And I honestly don't mind these companies doing what they do, they always end up making features I like anyway (like the universal-ness of xbox live, and the friend lists). Sure there are some disadvantages, but I think they're outweighed by the benefits.
L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By L33tfella_H
@StarFoxA said:
" In short: money. I can't afford to constantly upgrade my system to be able to play all the games I want to, therefore I have to sacrifice the freedom of a PC in order to play the games I want to. Paying $200 - $300 for a system that is guaranteed to entertain me for at least four to five years is better than paying thousands for a system that I'll have to keep updating every year. "
i understand completely what you mean, but it's a bit of an exaggeration i feel. I mean, i bought my PC last christmans for 700$ and i'm positive that it'll hold out for 3-4 years before i need a new one or have to upgrade. It's definently no slouch when it comes to specs either. 

But if all you want to do is play games, you can't go wrong with a console. 

I enjoy having an open system, mainly cause it gives me wiggle room. Take that how you will.