• 0 results
#1 Posted by Phazon (69 posts) -

Soon-to-be Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg stated this ridiculous comment in an interview with IGN.  Personally,  I think this is the gaming equivalent of John Lennon saying "We're bigger than Jesus."  Obviously, there are some differences, but my point being that it may just hurt the brand remains.  
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1106151p1.html 

I'd say Halo has had a bigger impact, but these two franchises combined can't touch Star Wars.

#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

I love people who have overly romantic views of a 33 year old franchise that falls apart the first time you look at it too closely. 

Yes. I went there. *sunglasses*

#3 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Ya No. 

Warcraft is the closest thing to Star Wars now.  When they make that Warcraft movie they are going to make unreal amounts of money.

#4 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" I love people who have overly romantic views of a 33 year old franchise that falls apart the first time you look at it too closely.  Yes. I went there. *sunglasses* "
I love how you're slating Star Wars but have an Anime boygirl as your avatar with an oversized sword. 

Anime is for jerks.
#5 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

Nothing is this generation's star wars. Nobody collects warcraft figurines, and nobody pretends to be Ghost when they're alone in their bedroom.

#6 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" I love people who have overly romantic views of a 33 year old franchise that falls apart the first time you look at it too closely.  Yes. I went there. *sunglasses* "
I agree.  I loved Star Wars as a kid and I remember going to see Empire Strikes back in the theaters when it first came out.  But the more I learned about it, the less interested I became.  It simply rips off too many ideas for it to be considered original.  

I know millions of people play CoD, but it simply doesn't have the reach that Star Wars had and still has.  In 30 years from now, will people still be talking about Modern Warfare?  I don't think so. 
#7 Posted by Kieran_ES (258 posts) -

I don't see thousands of people dressing up as Soap. I see a mediocre shooter franchise with 'flash in the pan' relevance. 

#8 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

#9 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @jadeskye said:
I love how you're slating Star Wars but have an Anime boygirl as your avatar with an oversized sword.  Anime is for jerks. "
haha. Well i am a jerk i'll grant you. I just think people romanticise star wars as this incredible, earth shattering thing when it simply isn't. It's dudes waving around light swords who can move stuff with their mind thanks to midicholeans(sp?). 

It's akin to harry potter in the deus ex machina department.
#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Um...no? What about Final Fantasy Tactics? That's closer to Star Wars than CoD (mainly because it rips off something that ripped off Star Wars). Or, if you're a purist, what about all those fucking Star Wars games we got? Or the crappy movies?

#11 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -

I agree with the poster above, if there is anything in our current generation that has the same reach as Star Wars had, it is WoW.  It changed the entire genre, created it's own terminology, and is the current gold standard for MMOs. 

#12 Posted by TheHT (11507 posts) -

I can't wait to hear what stupid thing an Activision exec says next!

#13 Posted by Jazz (2288 posts) -

No..you're all wrong. 
Too Human is the closest thing we have to star wars on consoles. 
It's an epic tale of love, hate and betrayal...the first in the series took forever to be released and it was passable at best...but wait for episode V. That's when things get good.

#14 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Phazon: You do know what he actually meant by that statement, right?
#15 Posted by RivaOni (24 posts) -
@TekZero said:
" @jadeskye said:
I agree.  I loved Star Wars as a kid and I remember going to see Empire Strikes back in the theaters when it first came out.  But the more I learned about it, the less interested I became.  It simply rips off too many ideas for it to be considered original.    I know millions of people play CoD, but it simply doesn't have the reach that Star Wars had and still has.  In 30 years from now, will people still be talking about Modern Warfare?  I don't think so.  "
I don't think -anyone- has ever tried to claim Star Wars is original in the slightest, Lucas even states himself thats its heavily influenced by Mythology and Christian legend.

Modern society moves too fast for anything to have as big an impact as something like Star Wars did upon its release. Top films/games/albums are near on forgotten about after only a couple of years.
#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
and i love YOU for saying that
#17 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Some people involved in the gaming industry need to be shot for the lunacy that comes out of their mouths, and for some reason, most if not all of them seem to be working for Activision.

#18 Posted by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -

Harry Potter is the Star Wars of our generation. CoD has how many buyers? 15 million? 20 at most? Yeah, Star Wars has been seen by pretty much everyone and has been going over 30 years so they aren't remotely close. The only thing CoD gets close to is Episode 1.

#19 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -
@RivaOni: That's right.  Not to mention that the whole M.O of this generation seems to take what was popular when I was a kid and "reimagine" it.  G.I Joe, Transformers, I'm drawing a blank on more examples, but you get my point. 
#20 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

No, COD is this generations Twilight.

#21 Posted by Jazz (2288 posts) -
@ArchScabby:  
Oh snap, it's got sparkly vampires? 
I gotta play some of this shit now.
#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Mass Effect says hi.

#23 Posted by Callumrides (357 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Mass Effect says hi. "
this
#24 Posted by RivaOni (24 posts) -
@TekZero said:
" @RivaOni: That's right.  Not to mention that the whole M.O of this generation seems to take what was popular when I was a kid and "reimagine" it.  G.I Joe, Transformers, I'm drawing a blank on more examples, but you get my point.  "
Completely agree.

But as long as they don't touch Jace and the Wheeled Warriors, M.A.S.K. and Thundercats I'll be happy. I can ignore GI Joe (wasn't that big in the UK anyway afaik) and the Michael Bay Transformers and bring my daughter (currently 6) watching the original Transformers ;)
#25 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -
@RivaOni: Man, I LOVED M.A.S.K.  They better not bring that back. 
#26 Posted by secretagent099 (127 posts) -

Is this guy gonna replace bobby kotick?

#27 Posted by chstupid (806 posts) -

But Cod's not even sci-fi
#28 Posted by pause422 (6201 posts) -

Yeah, and Lady Gaga doesn't have a dick.

#29 Posted by tranquilchaos (575 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @jadeskye said:
I love how you're slating Star Wars but have an Anime boygirl as your avatar with an oversized sword.  Anime is for jerks. "
To be fair, at this point Star Wars is also for jerks.
#30 Posted by A_Wet_Shamwow (230 posts) -

yea it kinda is.................. it was great when it was first around but when they tried to do it again it came out tasting like spoiled   
surstromming

#31 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Phazon said:
" Soon-to-be Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg "
*sigh*, and here I was hoping things might improve without kotick.
#32 Posted by supermike6 (3586 posts) -

The point is not that it is sci-fi and has similar concepts to Star Wars at all!! What he's trying to say that, like Star Wars, you can walk into any teen boy's room and talk about COD for hours.  Even my teachers know about COD.

HE'S NOT TRYING TO SAY THAT CALL OF DUTY FEATURES ROMANCE AND ADVENTURE AND SCI-FI ACTION.

#33 Posted by Siphillis (1296 posts) -

Avatar.  Star Wars.   I rest my case.

#34 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
I lol'd.
#35 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

The closest thing this generation has to Star Wars is Star Wars, if you ask me.

#36 Posted by Subjugation (4724 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" No, COD is this generations Twilight. "
Pretty sure Twilight is this generation's Twilight.
#37 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" No, COD is this generations Twilight. "
So what the hell is twilight other then painful to watch? XP
#38 Edited by foggel (2763 posts) -
@secretagent099 said:

" Is this guy gonna replace bobby kotick? "

The way I understood it is that they made a new position for him, which is something a long the lines of "CE of Publicity". Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. 

Edit: Maybe that's PEO? Whatever.
#39 Posted by Jimbo (9863 posts) -

LOTR or Harry Potter, surely.  How are two or three M-rated games at all comparable to a trilogy of movies that enthralled a whole generation of kids?

#40 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -
@9cupsoftea: I pretend I'm Optimus Prime. Not kidding. 
#41 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

If this is true, it's depressing but I'm not sure if that's worse than people saying it's Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. I'd rather have my son/daughter idolizing Soap MacTavish than anything Orlando Bloom related.

#42 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@fwylo said:
" Ya No.  Warcraft is the closest thing to Star Wars now.  When they make that Warcraft movie they are going to make unreal amounts of money. "
Untill the Star wars mmo comes out..then its star wars...again. 
#43 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

I am seriously crying right now. This thread is an insult to everything I've ever known.

#44 Posted by schizogony (975 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
#45 Edited by crusnchill (856 posts) -

You guys all seem to be forgetting one thing: This guy works for Activision. And the COD franchise is one of, if not the, most profitable franchise in their line-up of assets, next to WOW. 
If he didn't say this sort of thing to boost interest he wouldn't be doing a very good job now would he? Regardless of whether the industry enthusiasts can tell that he's spewing rubbish out of his mouth when he says this stuff.

#46 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -
@Phazon:
That's a retarded statement. Also, John Lennon didn't say specifically that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus. It all came from a long interview about the lack of religion in the '60s and how, as absurd as it was, they were more popular among the common people than even Jesus; naturally, all that the Church at the time heard of that statement was the "bigger than Jesus" part. It was all so taken out of context.
#47 Posted by MonetaryDread (2069 posts) -

Unfortunately Star Wars Ep 1- 3 and The Clone Wars is this generations Star Wars.

#48 Posted by MrAriscottle (261 posts) -

It started out good and ended up shit? Sounds about right to me.

#49 Posted by scorch62 (103 posts) -

LOL no. Halo is a lot closer to Star Wars than COD, but that comparison is still a bit of a stretch.

#50 Edited by wavegoodbye (285 posts) -

People said that about the Halo series 3 years ago.  In 3 years it'll be something completely different.  And I don't agree for the record.