• 55 results
#1 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

anyone here about this? Do you think wii u is really weak or they are just trying to make it look the same as on ps3?

http://www.examiner.com/article/black-ops-2-is-not-native-1080p-on-wii-u-zombie-mode-gameplay-teaser-released

#2 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Haven't heard about this. Kinda weird that it won't be 1080p as COD isn't really known for pushing graphical boundaries now (unless there's some really big stuff happening in Black Ops 2 that I don't know about).

Also this one game isn't enough to determine the Wii U's overall graphical power. I want to wait and see which games do come out in 1080p and how stable they are with framerates, as well as how much is happening on-screen when frames start to drop. Finally I don't expect developers to ace at optimizing for the system until a little later anyways.

#3 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

For the price point the Wii U is selling for, it seems like wishful thinking to expect true 1080p.

I think the real draw is "hardcore" games on a Nintendo platform. It seems to me that if the Wii U is your preferred platform for BLOPS2, you're probably not going to be all that bothered about the upconverting of the resolution.*

--

*This statement is not intended to cast judgement on anyone.

#4 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

The Wii U can do 1080p very easily. Not native 1080p. The Wii U was never the lead platform for this game, so this was expected.

Wii U can do 1080p without breaking a sweat:

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/09/wii-u-can-do-1080p-without-breaking-a-sweat/

Batman AC: AA and Assassin's Creed III - Full 1080P on Wii U:

http://wiiu-gamers.com/news/batman-armored-edition-and-assassins-creed-iii-running-at-1080p/

Zombi U & Toki Tori 2 are Full 1080p also.

@banishedsoul1:

Did you really expect them to develop a better looking Wii U version, which would have been very easy to do at the technical end, but at the cost of a larger development budget?. If this game was true 1080p that's what it would require, more money.

#5 Posted by Spoonman671 (4633 posts) -

Are any of the Call of Duty games 1080p on PS3 or 360?  If not, then I'm not sure why it would be expected of the Wii U version.  If so, then that's weird, I guess.

#6 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

Are any of the Call of Duty games 1080p on PS3 or 360? If not, then I'm not sure why it would be expected of the Wii U version. If so, then that's weird, I guess.

None. 60FPS is the only priority on console

#7 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

Haven't heard about this. Kinda weird that it won't be 1080p as COD isn't really known for pushing graphical boundaries now (unless there's some really big stuff happening in Black Ops 2 that I don't know about).

Also this one game isn't enough to determine the Wii U's overall graphical power. I want to wait and see which games do come out in 1080p and how stable they are with framerates, as well as how much is happening on-screen when frames start to drop. Finally I don't expect developers to ace at optimizing for the system until a little later anyways.

I believe Treyarch said they were implementing DirectX 11 stuff in BlOps 2. Now, I doubt the Wii U version is going to be running DirectX 11 like a gaming computer would, but the fact that they're implementing it could imply that they're putting some other bells and whistles into the game. They might be knocking it down because they can turn those on with the Wii U version if they keep the resolution at 720p

Or maybe the Wii U could run it at 1080p, but they're picking 720p because they want to make absolute sure that the game stays locked at 60. Or maybe they just want to keep a standard resolution across all consoles.

#8 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I think the developers are just rushing to port the games over to the WiiU, focusing on actually having a decent number of titles on the console before actually trying to optimize and explore the console's limits.

#9 Posted by Will1Lucky (408 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

The Wii U can do 1080p very easily. Not native 1080p. The Wii U was never the lead platform for this game - this was expected.

Indeed, Nintenodos comments on the Resolution of Mario Bros and Pikmin have been quite telling.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9697 posts) -

From what I'm hearing nothing is in native 1080p on the WiiU. GoNintendo had an article that stated that the new Mario game won't be either.

#11 Posted by Dragon_Fire (368 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

Are any of the Call of Duty games 1080p on PS3 or 360? If not, then I'm not sure why it would be expected of the Wii U version. If so, then that's weird, I guess.

No they aren't really even in 720p. Not one single COD game was ever in 720p. (At least COD WAW, MW2, BLOP2, MW3 COD3

Here is the resolution of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 = 1024x600 (2xAA)

That is only for the PS3 but I can guess that the 360 also does the same.

#12 Posted by pyrodactyl (2024 posts) -

If you're buying a wii u to count the lines of resolution, stop right there.

On a unrelated note, if you're buying a wii u, stop right there.

#13 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

From what I'm hearing nothing is in native 1080p on the WiiU. GoNintendo had an article that stated that the new Mario game won't be either.

That's incorrect, there a few which are. Also, GoNintendo didn't say that, nor has any other site with good reason, what they have said is that Nintendo removed the claim on the website, that's all. Mario displaying in 1080p for the first time is a landmark in gaming, regardless what anyone may think, revealing that news via a small sentence on a webpage isn't good PR. There will be one last Nintendo Direct before launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-12-nintendo-removes-mario-wii-u-1080p-claim

#14 Posted by JasonR86 (9697 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@JasonR86 said:

That's incorrect, there a few which are. Also, GoNintendo didn't say that, nor has any other site with good reason, what they have said is that Nintendo removed the claim on the website, that's all. Mario displaying in 1080p for the first time is a landmark in gaming, regardless what anyone may think, revealing that news via a small sentence on a webpage isn't good PR. There will be one last Nintendo Direct before launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-12-nintendo-removes-mario-wii-u-1080p-claim

Well, technically the Xbox 360 and PS3 can do 1080p too. That doesn't mean that the the game is actually 1080p. I don't know, my guess is that the games will be upscalled but not native but no one really knows for sure yet.

#15 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

Who gives a fuck?

#16 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

No, in fact it wasn't until MW2 that the game ran at any resolution even close to HD, but it hasn't ever hit 720p native rendering resolution.

#17 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@JasonR86:

Zombi U & Toki Tori 2 are full 1080p. There are others also, but I personally don't care and cannot remember what these games are.

#18 Posted by me3639 (1756 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

Zing!

#19 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

The Wii U can do 1080p very easily. Not native 1080p. The Wii U was never the lead platform for this game - this was expected.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/09/wii-u-can-do-1080p-without-breaking-a-sweat/

Zombi U & Toki Tori 2 are full 1080p, as well as a couple of others..

@banishedsoul1:

Did you really expect them to develop a better looking Wii U version, which would have been very easy to do at the technical end, but at the cost of a larger development budget?. If this game was true 1080p that's what it would require, more money.

do you think bayonetta 2 and batman will be in 1080p?

i would consider getting a wii-u if assassin's creed 3 was in 1080p but that's just wishful thinking and also a bold-faced lie

#20 Posted by ripelivejam (3943 posts) -

@addictedtopinescent said:

I think the developers are just rushing to port the games over to the WiiU, focusing on actually having a decent number of titles on the console before actually trying to optimize and explore the console's limits.

notsureifsarcastic.jpg

#21 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Zombi U & Toki Tori 2 are full 1080p, as well as a couple of others..

@banishedsoul1:

do you think bayonetta 2 and batman will be in 1080p?

i would consider getting a wii-u if assassin's creed 3 was in 1080p but that's just wishful thinking and also a bold-faced lie

Recent reports suggest they are...

http://wiiu-gamers.com/news/batman-armored-edition-and-assassins-creed-iii-running-at-1080p/

I'd expect Bayonetta 2 will. The Wonderful 101 does.

#22 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: ooh now i have a reason to want this! i probably won't be investing at launch but this significantly increases my desire to get it, provided the software is worth it.

#23 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: In all honesty are you some kind of Nintendo PR?

#24 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Glad to hear that the Wii U will be capable of a decent resolution, can't wait for the next gen nintendo games.

#25 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

For the price point the Wii U is selling for, it seems like wishful thinking to expect true 1080p.

Yeah, I was under the impression the Wii U was slightly less powerful than the 360. If that's the case, native 1080p in 3D games ain't happening. I wasn't aware this fact was surprising to anyone.

#26 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i'm not surprised. i don't think wii u is going to push a lot of power in the graphics department.

#27 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@PillClinton: @PillClinton said:

@Ravenlight said:

Yeah, I was under the impression the Wii U was slightly less powerful than the 360. If that's the case, native 1080p in 3D games ain't happening. I wasn't aware this fact was surprising to anyone.

Wii U can do 1080p without breaking a sweat:

Batman AC: AA and Assassin's Creed III - Full 1080P on Wii U:

Zombi U & Toki Tori 2 are Full 1080p also.

#28 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Well if that's true and the Wii U's gpu can render games in real time at 1080p, then I yield, and was misinformed. What seems really exciting is the much larger amount of RAM than the 360 or PS3 that devs can devote to games.

#29 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I'd take 60fps over 1080p on any game, any day of the week.

#30 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Activision single-handedly caused people to have to ask if dedicated servers are even a thing these days. What makes you think they'll spend the money to make it 1920x1080?

#31 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

Activision single-handedly caused people to have to ask if dedicated servers are even a thing these days. What makes you think they'll spend the money to make it 1920x1080?

What? I don't see how those two things are related at all. Dedicated servers are still very much a thing on PC, and 1080p is just a modern standard now. You'd be hard pressed to find a new TV these days that isn't 1080p.

#32 Posted by skyline7284 (506 posts) -

I can't think of a single game that runs at 1080p natively The vast majority render at 720p and just upscale to 1080p, so this really shouldn't be a surprise....?

#33 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

anyone here about this? Do you think wii u is really weak or they are just trying to make it look the same as on ps3?

http://www.examiner.com/article/black-ops-2-is-not-native-1080p-on-wii-u-zombie-mode-gameplay-teaser-released

I don't think you realize how these things work. It is neither of those things. The Wii U isn't "really weak" and they're not "trying to make it look the same" ... they just don't have time and/or will to spend a lot of time making the game work in higher resolutions on a new system they're not yet very familiar with. CoD games have been sub-720p on the other consoles since forever so the Wii U version being 720p right out the gate isn't actually a negative.

Keep in mind, while everyone gets their panties all twisted about launch games suddenly not being 1080p across the board, these are LAUNCH games and many of them are initially made for a completely different hardware architecture. Also, going from 720p to native 1080p is a lot of extra work for any machine). Hardly any game supports it (natively! not upscaled!) other than on PC of course.

#34 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@DeF said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

I don't think you realize how these things work. It is neither of those things. The Wii U isn't "really weak" and they're not "trying to make it look the same" ... they just don't have time and/or will to spend a lot of time making the game work in higher resolutions on a new system they're not yet very familiar with. CoD games have been sub-720p on the other consoles since forever so the Wii U version being 720p right out the gate isn't actually a negative.

Keep in mind, while everyone gets their panties all twisted about launch games suddenly not being 1080p across the board, these are LAUNCH games and many of them are initially made for a completely different hardware architecture. Also, going from 720p to native 1080p is a lot of extra work for any machine). Hardly any game supports it (natively! not upscaled!) other than on PC of course.

they don't need time all they need to do is change the resolution just like on pc. so the specs suck or they are keeping it on par with ps3.

#35 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@DeF said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

they don't need time all they need to do is change the resolution just like on pc. so the specs suck or they are keeping it on par with ps3.

This post confirms that you apparently don't have any clue what you're actually talking about (or you're trolling). You don't just "change" the resolution "like on a PC" with console games. It has also nothing (or very little) to do with specs. There's a ton of optimization that goes into something like a higher native resolution and keeping performance at the target level across the board, especially (as I said before) on brand new hardware that nobody is very familiar with at this point.

#36 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...can't a 9800 GT max COD out?

#37 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@DeF said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@DeF said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

This post confirms that you apparently don't have any clue what you're actually talking about (or you're trolling). You don't just "change" the resolution "like on a PC" with console games. It has also nothing (or very little) to do with specs. There's a ton of optimization that goes into something like a higher native resolution and keeping performance at the target level across the board, especially (as I said before) on brand new hardware that nobody is very familiar with at this point.

why would it need to optimize such a old engine? they did not give the pc more time and it can run cod in 2560x1600.

#38 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@DeF said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@DeF said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

why would it need to optimize such a old engine? they did not give the pc more time and it can run cod in 2560x1600.

because a PC is something inherently different than a console. you simply cannot compare the two.

developers obviously need to optimize a new engine because that engine was built and modified for completely different hardware (it's all based on idTech 2 or 3? and then heavily modified over the years to make it end up like pretty much a completely new thing) which was all based around completely hardware architecture. Black Ops 2's resolution got bumped to 880x720 from Black Ops 1's 1024x600 on consoles(don't ask me how that's more, I have no idea how the math works) so that's a feat in itself. years and years of optimization go into this. remember that all the previous games weren't even 720p (natively) on the other systems! none of them! with the short development time that they probably had for a Wii U port, it's pretty impressive that they even pull off that two-screen multiplayer mode which basically means it renders the same image twice (once in 720 on the TV and once in 480 for the GamePad) whereas regular splitscreen only needs half the resolution for each player.

game development is not magic where you just push a "make prettier" button.

#39 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

The Call of Duty games on the current consoles barely reach 720p, peeking at around 1024x600 natively, further upscaled to 1280x720, and then upscaled by the internal chipset on your console to 1920x1080. I'm sure the WiiU will do similar. I don't necessarily think it's because the WiiU is incapable, but it would take more time & resources in development to optimize it for consistent 60 frames per second. And let's face it, "1080p" has been a marketing tool for a long time for the masses, when it's technically not 1080.

#40 Posted by egg (1467 posts) -

Halo 3 wasn't even 720p

Uncharted GA isn't even native to Vita's resolution

so who cares. I would think it's not so much WiiU is weak as the fact that 1080 is more than people appreciate. (or maybe the devs are just lazy)

#41 Posted by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -

@jonnyboy said:

Yeah if there's one thing that I think the "next gen" should be working on it's frame rates.

I'm not convinced that resolutions are going to continue to be decided by hardware limitations as much as development budget anyways.

#42 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Were COD games ever 1080p ? 
Not upscaled BS like the 360 does, of course, but really 1080p?

#43 Posted by wafflez (528 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

This post makes a lot of sense.

#44 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

@jonnyboy said:

Yeah if there's one thing that I think the "next gen" should be working on it's frame rates.

I'm not convinced that resolutions are going to continue to be decided by hardware limitations as much as development budget anyways.

We can always dream of a console where the games look great and run at a solid 60fps, instead of just focusing on squeezing out visual quality at the expense of frame rate, right? Sadly, I don't see that happening, with the exception of games where frame rate really counts: your CoDs, racing games, etc. I don't think it'll take too long to start seeing increasingly pretty games that are locked at 30 on next gen consoles. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am, and that's what the PC's for anyway. Enthusiasts who care a lot about graphics and frame rate are always gonna have the PC.

#45 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

Were COD games ever 1080p ? Not upscaled BS like the 360 does, of course, but really 1080p?

...my copy of MW3 is above the 1080p resolution.

#46 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Were COD games ever 1080p ? Not upscaled BS like the 360 does, of course, but really 1080p?

...my copy of MW3 is above the 1080p resolution.

You got the 1081p version? 
You bastard!
#47 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@GreggD said:

Who gives a fuck?

I tend to agree. Putting so much energy into numbers which are easily juked just for bulletpoints on the back of boxes or to get fans riled up. It will play like Call of Duty and look like Call of Duty no matter where your playing.

#48 Posted by VierasTalo (775 posts) -

Goddamn this topic is stupid.

#49 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

This. Also no fucking shit it's not native 1080p.

#50 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Everybody knows MS has paid them enough to have the console version be the best.