#1 Posted by RUKM (19 posts) -

What game in your opinion best personify Combat in MMO's and what MMO is the worst at it

#2 Posted by RUKM (19 posts) -

Best: SWTOR, Champions Online, DCUO,

Worst: WOW

How is the combat in Guild Wars?

#3 Posted by Drakoji (216 posts) -

This is a troll thread right?

How can SWTOR be in the best combat you played when WoW is in the worst?

It's exactly the same combat mechanics.

#4 Posted by BadNews (490 posts) -

So far I REALLY enjoy the combat of Vindictus. It's free to play, it's almost not an MMO but the combat has a really heavy impact. Each class plays like a different game so Fiona I felt plays like dark souls since she can do timed counter attacks and with upgraded blocking you can take the heaviest hits and still stand if you time your guard right. lots of good dodging and physics based attacks. if you grab an enemy and walk towards a cliff you can kick them off with a fancy short cinimatic or crush them against the wall with the same effect but different animations obviously. I know people would disagree but since I always used a shield in Dark Souls, Fiona class really feels like Dark Souls to me.

Most recently I also like the small bit of combat i experienced in PSO2 also.

#5 Posted by Drakoji (216 posts) -

@BadNews: Vindictus is cool, I quite like Dungeon Fighters too. And for the GW2 combat it's more hotkeys (nothing new) but with someone elements that make it more action orientated, like dodging, spellcast while moving.

#6 Posted by BadNews (490 posts) -

@Drakoji: I have trouble getting into dungeon fighter. It's like playing a fighting game but with a keyboard. Or at least that is what it was like for me last time I played.

I'm looking forward to GW2. I hope it's fun.

#7 Posted by Menito (23 posts) -

FFXI forced cooperation, timing and strategic placement in every single fight. Now if the can only fix XIV.

#8 Posted by wemibelec90 (1280 posts) -

The best I have seen is TERA's combat. I would still be playing that game if the world and quests were interesting. Taking that combat and pairing it with a very interesting world would be the perfect MMO for me.

Worst combat mechanics would probably be WoW style combat, at least at this point. World of Warcraft combat was okay for the time but every single MMO trying to be the next WoW did the exact same thing. That combat style is boring now.

#9 Posted by Drakoji (216 posts) -

@BadNews: I quite liked what I played of GW2.

And yeah DFO is kinda hard to get into, but once you get the hang of it, It's pretty competent.

#10 Posted by Svenzon (699 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

The best I have seen is TERA's combat. I would still be playing that game if the world and quests were interesting. Taking that combat and pairing it with a very interesting world would be the perfect MMO for me.

Worst combat mechanics would probably be WoW style combat, at least at this point. World of Warcraft combat was okay for the time but every single MMO trying to be the next WoW did the exact same thing. That combat style is boring now.

Totally agree about TERA. They really nailed the combat in that game, so it's a damn shame that most of the quests are of the same old boring "kill 10 x" type.

I'm playing The Secret World right now and while it may seem like standard MMO combat in the beginning, it actually gets more interesting later on. The game doesn't have an auto-attack feature, so you can't really sleepwalk through it like in WoW.

#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -

Best: Vindictus

Worst: any WoW-style combat system after WoW was released. I can't speak for everyone obviously, but to me, 99% of them just feel completely boring, but oddly enough, I still find WoW fun. Go figure.

#12 Posted by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

I think the only one here worth mentioning as best is TERA. It's the only really MMO out there with unique combat controls. Regardless of how fun the others may be, they still rely on the same tried-and-true hot-key combat reminiscent of the oldies.

#13 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -

i play SWTOR atm and I can't agree with the statement that it has the best combat.

I'd have to say Tera has the most refreshing combat that i've played so far in an mmorpg and DCUO is ok as well.

#14 Posted by BadNews (490 posts) -

@Menito: I use to love FFXI. But I couldn't play it in small increments due to the forced coop and areas that were ditched after a certain level. Like forced cooperation in an early level area where it was empty so you got stuck looking for a group for 2 hours. I actually did that once. Really killed my return to the game.

I like how Vindictus handles that issue, they give bonuses that can effect you at any level for returning to early game stuff. Like kill the boss with a spear to get a perminant stat boost. Then play the same mission but this time do it without armor so you can get more points to upgrade your character. Also if you are lucky you will get a secret enemy, but that is a chance encounter. It doesn't require you to go do those things but you will want to so you can get your character stronger, faster. And if it's too easy they have difficulty levels.

#15 Posted by Menito (23 posts) -

@BadNews: Just like shitty tacked on multiplayer in FPS it only works while people care. You really needed friends or linkshell buddies to make the low lvl stuff play after a few years.

#16 Posted by BadNews (490 posts) -

@Menito: Yeah it's too bad, I had some amazing stories of bravery and friendship during the first year and when i came back years later it was depressing. Vindictus is still booming though. I guess free to play and constant updates really do wonders for free to play. Dungeon Fighter is sure to keep booming to. As much as I think Nexon isn't the best company it looks like they aren't bad at figuring out what the people want. Nice to see MMO's start to evolve in interesting ways for sure.

#17 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

I like Age of Conan's melee combat. The graphics and motion quality of the combatants are excellent. Not cartoon or anime in style, but more realistic, and the character movements are realistic. No radical back flipping, high jumping, wall running, or ultra ninja type moves. Weapons do real damage like decapitations or chopping off limbs. Blood everywhere.

#18 Posted by stinky (1545 posts) -

i liked WoWs combat. based around talent trees, gear and lag.

also like that you have to attack the problem of combat differently between pve and pvp.

#19 Posted by RUKM (19 posts) -

@p00rdevil: Totally forgot about AOC good one!

#20 Posted by CatsAkimbo (583 posts) -

@Menito said:

FFXI forced cooperation, timing and strategic placement in every single fight. Now if the can only fix XIV.

I haven't played FFXI since a few months after it came out, but I do remember the great feeling of getting the right chain of attacks going and unleashing huge damage. Haven't seen another game that does multiple player combo chains quite like that.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

WoW and SWTOR are literally the same combat.

#22 Posted by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

I'm not going to suggest a best or a worse but I do have feelings on the future of MMO combat

On the positive side groups are at least thinking about:

- Progressive design in MMO combat seems to be pushing the player away from "looking at bars" where instead they want the player to look at the scene.

- Progressive design in tanking seems to be moving towards "area denial" instead of the classic "taunting mechanic".

- Progressive design in healing seems to be moving towards "alternative selection methods" where instead of clicking on boxes in a special frame in the UI to select which heal to use on them the healer does something else.

- Design is also pushing towards blending "The Holy Trinity" together. You still need players to focus on protecting/tanking and players to focus on healing and players to focus on pouring on the damage but restricting it to Player A, B, and C is probably going away.

- Progressive design is pushing more to dynamic groups instead of fixed groups. If you have 9 players or 12 players you can still do raids where the content tunes for what raid brings in.

Current problems:

- MMO Combat has gotten better but still has issues with "concurrency". Without solving that there can't be any to do things like "full collision detection" or "full targeting rules".

- Combat feedback has had a classic problem in MMO Combat is that most systems still give poor or no feedback feed back. Especially buff/debuf on the player's character or the hostile target are hard to read or interupt unless you have a section of the UI that shows icons.

- Combat position is still difficult to read. You don't know your character is "standing in fire" without carefully watching the character's state or have additional mods that trigger alerts and sirens. It can be difficult to read where things like "tail swipe" or "breath weapon" are going to hit until they hit.

#23 Posted by bemusedchunk (581 posts) -

I'm in the minority as thinking that WoW's combat system is probably the best for MMO's. If you don't like the whole hotkey thing then MMO's aren't even for you.

But that being said, I love the fact that any ability you use in WoW will immediately interrupt the auto-attack, perform the specific attack instead, and then go right back into auto-attacking. It's a smooth system. I've moved onto SWTOR, and the combat feels...slow. It's only because the auto-attack isn't there either as filler, or to just help me finish off a mob.

The worst, by far, had to be EQ.

#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I like WoW the best, its insanly fluid and mashes together animations like its a action game.

Star Wars the Old Republic did a good imitation of it but it didn't feel as fluid as it should have, especially in pvp where WoW is just king when it comes to fluid movements.

I also like Lord of the Rings Online's combat a whole lot, but its slower than most mmo's but feels very fun to me.