Comfy games to play during winter?

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

What games are you guys playing this holiday season that gives you that "comfy" feeling?

I've been playing kingdom hearts 1 and for some reason it's been giving me that comfy feeling. I was given the suggestion of playing assassin's creed IV to give me that comfort feeling as according to him, sailing the ocean in the sunny weather is extremely comforting while the cold rages on outside.

What about you guys?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Little Inferno.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By emprpngn

I'm playing through the Mass Effect series right now, but I wouldn't call that "comfy" necessarily.

I really like playing Oblivion during cold weather. One of my favorite memories of that game was playing during a brisk November weekend, occasionally looking outside at the leaves going crazy in the wind. I was in the northern-ish part of the map, and the weather just seemed to coincide.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Katamari Damacy, I'd say.

Don't really know why, but it's what came to mind when I read the word "comfy"

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Playing Wind Waker HD for the first time along with Super Mario 3D World... all kinds of comfy. Nintendo music alone is snuggling awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Chrono Trigger was always a winter sort of game to me. It's unfortunate that when it came out on the DS at just the right time of year that I came down with pneumonia. Kind of put a damper on everything I did at that time.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Anything where the tone is a little dark and moody and you spend a lot of time exploring. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime come to mind. So does Skyrim and Oblivion. Dead Space might wind up becoming one of these games.

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By kamolahy

A few good analog rounds of Settlers of Catan are perfect for the holidays.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Three0neFive

Skyrim. It may not have been the best Elder Scrolls game, but goddamn is it an excellent hiking simulator.

Also, I should clarify that as a Canadian "comfy" means "knee-deep in fresh powder with icicles coming out of your nose."

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Euro Truck Simulator 2.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing a lot of XCOM: Enemy Within. Because time isn't an issue, and there aren't many precise movements you have to make with the controller, it's a good winter game because you can play it with only your head poking out from a blanket while you lie on the sofa.

RPGs can be good for that too.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I like to play 3d platformers during harsh winters, because they get snow levels right and because I used to get them as gifts for Christmas.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter is when I get my annual fix of Monkey Island 1 & 2.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Little Inferno.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

When I'm looking for "comfy games", I tend to bust out the classics.

Marios, Castlevanias, and Zeldas, etc. Mostly whatever my sisters like or what I can convince a few family members to play.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomasnash: I haven't play that game, but i heard is very intense.

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still waiting for Banished to be released. Euro Truck Simulator 2 is a great choice. Train Simulator will probably be good as well.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thatdutchguy

I personally like to play SNES games like Donkey kong country 1 and 2, Snowboard kids on the N64,Banjo kazooie,Super mario 64/All stars.

Some old RTS games are also quite comfy like Knights and Merchants,Anno 1404, Command & Conquer Tiberium sun, Red Alert 2.

If you have a PS3 i'd like to recommend ICO and Shadow of the Collossus HD or the Yakuza games.

SongWriter1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For whatever reason I like to play games that take place in tropical areas during the winter soooo Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 seem like good choices right now. And we are supposed to get a shitload of snow on the east coast this weekend :-\

On a side note, Ubi has been knocking it out of the park lately, Far Cry 3, Rayman Legends, SC Blacklist, AssCreed 4.... They would be my favorite developer/publisher if it weren't for that goddamn Uplay.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ervonymous

Solar 2, the soundtrack is so damn mellow. Nothing like the vast nothingness of space to lift your Christmas spirit.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

dota

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long, deep RPGs. Nothing says settling in for winter like starting a game you can play for 10 hour stretches without getting too far. Skyrim and the Mass Effect games work fine, but so do older RPGs with good stories. Squeenix games, Ps2 era RPGs, whatever. If there's crafting and super long side quests to get lost in all the better!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I love a Total War game in winter. Thankfully Rome 2 is almost playable now.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting a 3DS for Christmas and playing Zelda. Nothing like being off work for a few days and playing something from my childhood feeling just like it's Christmas break.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm always drawn to Bioware games once snow hits the ground

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By crusader8463

I tend to go the opposite approach. Since I don't have a heater in my room when it drops to like -20 like it is today it gets real cold in here. So to add to the immersion I play something like Skyrim that's supposed to be a dank frozen land and the cold/wind outside adds to the feeling and makes me feel like I'm there in the world that much easier. Sadly because it's so cold I'm sitting here shivering so badly that I can't control the mouse or feel my fingers well enough to use a keyboard all that well, but boy am I immersed!

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

During these cold winter days I love to go back and play games I remember fondly as a kid/young teen. This Christmas break I'm gonna be playing through Morrowind and the first Gothic. I'm also playing through Breath of Fire 4 (Which is the one game I decided to play that I have never touched).

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@crusader8463: You're crazy dude haha, but I have to admit there is a certain appeal to climbing a snowy mountain in Skyrim, then looking out my window and seeing an actual blizzard.

I generally like playing games with a certain amount of grinding during winter. It's nice not having to worry about school/work etc and wake up and spend the morning curled up with a coffee and a game before it's time to be productive. Diablo III, Borderlands, Dark Souls and Ni no Kuni come to mind.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My backlog is just too damn big to dig out games I've already played... though I do crank up the Grubbins on Ice part of Costume Quest since it's only a couple of hours long and so damn cute...

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been laid up with a broken ankle for two weeks and have in that time gotten back into Skyrim on 360--revived a long-dormant thief/assassin character and having quite a bit of fun with it. It's definitely comforting to play especially being stuck at home while the winter winds blow outside.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I really want to make a run at persona 3 fes and get a huge chunk of it done. I stopped in around the summer trip to the beach so I got alot ahead of me. Rorie tweet last night also reminded me of "Ni No Kuni" but Persona 3 FES takes priority.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Little Inferno.

At first, yes, but when you get into making later combos, it becomes kind of a mindfuck for some of them.

Personally, I played Far Cry 2 over 2008/9 Christmas break, and it was a fantastic experience, so I think FC3 would go great as well. Really, any open world game is great to just run around in.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rpgs will always be my main squeeze, so I may bang out a second playthrough of P4G and try to woo Yukiko.

My gut tells me that I'm gonna punk out and go back to Rise, though. Follow the money, man...

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quemador: I don't know if you played Enemy Unknown, but I'm really enjoying the way Enemy Within is switching the formula up. I'd just about gotten all I was going to from EU, because I felt that I wanted more customisation options, and because of how slow it gets once the big UFOs start coming.

EW adds loads more customization options with its mods, which is awesome. But better than that is that they've made some minor tweaks to the balance of the existing customisation options which mean I'm not always going for the same builds - so having a sniper with snap shot is actually worthwhile now, and my assaults don't always get lightning reflexes! It's great because those changes, along with the addition of meld canisters and the MEC troopers (I love punching aliens into cars) mean that I'm using a much quicker style of play, which in turn is making some of those missions that took me an hour or so before take about half the time.

It's also nice that they just have way more variety in the missions now, although it was kind of harsh in my second month when I got all three of the DLC missions in one whack before I'd even managed to research laser weapons.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Euro Truck Sim 2, input your favorite radio show/album and just drive around europe for an hour or so a day

Skyrim (ignore the game and hike as mentioned earlier)

Proteus before bed time once a week

Follow this regime and you'll feel incredible

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

A+ Thread

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Pokemon X and A link between worlds for me right now.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Borderlands 2 is what I'm playing right now, for some reason playing a winter themed game is relaxing in the winter. This was Skyrim a few years ago and I don't remember last year actually. Wrath of the Lich King in 2008 when we had 5 weeks off for winter break for whatever reason.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Skyrim and Fallout for me, I wish there was a way for me to play Super Metroid

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using my winter break to burn through persona 4. Interestingly enough I am in the summer section of that game as of today.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

Play some old school rpgs like Fallout 2 or Planescape: Torment. Or a platformer like Mario or something of that nature.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JZ

All the yakuza games actually happen around Christmas.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ni no Kuni

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing Oblivion while it snows outside always gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.