Commentary on wiki section of GB being hidden

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By RagingLion
Just posted this in a new forum topic.  Thought I'd post it here as well in case (I don't know how) it gets more views (somehow) from being here, since I feel it's so important for GB to be what it should be as a site.

I really like the new look that GiantBomb has since the makeover but I have a suggestion which I feel quite strongly about.

You note now in your main description on the front page that "Giant Bomb is the world’s largest editable video game database", but there are no longer any links to this wiki content from the front page like there used to be.  I understand that based, I'm guessing, on not many of those links getting many hits previously, but otherwise it's unlikely for me to penetrate GiantBomb's huge database since I have to go specifically to the "Browse..." tab, which is unlikely unless I'm looking for something specifically.  I can say from personal testimony that I have checked random GB wiki articles far less since the redesign.

What I'm trying to say is that the wiki database is a huge part of what GB is as a site and without some reference in the guise of specific links being placed on the front page then it feels like this significant part of GB is generally being hidden away apart from those few pages that get referenced by the articles that you guys post.  There's all these potentially really interesting articles that are just hidden away and don't get the attention they deserve from people that might be interested in them if they ever came across them - and that feels against the spirit of what the GB database should be all about.

Well, that's my sentiment.  What should be done?  Given only a little thought I would suggest at the very least having some sort of 'random article' button such as Wikipedia has (maybe there too many competely empty pages that this would prove worthless?... a guess - but maybe it should include a minimum word limit fro what articles it shows).  However, many specific links would be better, which should probably change frequently.  So, for example, having each day: an "article of the day" (maybe hand-picked or via a fancy stat-tracking algorithm); 'upcoming article of the day'; 'recently popular'; 'interesting article you'd never normally read' .... you get the idea.  It only has to be a few links like unlike the many you had before, but I hope you GB staffers can find space for it on your front page since it is so much of what this site is about.  Reply also if for some reason you think this would be unnecessary.

To everyone else:  what do you think of this?  Do you agree?  If so, what do you think is the best way to link to the GB wiki pages from the front page?
RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RagingLion
Just posted this in a new forum topic.  Thought I'd post it here as well in case (I don't know how) it gets more views (somehow) from being here, since I feel it's so important for GB to be what it should be as a site.

I really like the new look that GiantBomb has since the makeover but I have a suggestion which I feel quite strongly about.

You note now in your main description on the front page that "Giant Bomb is the world’s largest editable video game database", but there are no longer any links to this wiki content from the front page like there used to be.  I understand that based, I'm guessing, on not many of those links getting many hits previously, but otherwise it's unlikely for me to penetrate GiantBomb's huge database since I have to go specifically to the "Browse..." tab, which is unlikely unless I'm looking for something specifically.  I can say from personal testimony that I have checked random GB wiki articles far less since the redesign.

What I'm trying to say is that the wiki database is a huge part of what GB is as a site and without some reference in the guise of specific links being placed on the front page then it feels like this significant part of GB is generally being hidden away apart from those few pages that get referenced by the articles that you guys post.  There's all these potentially really interesting articles that are just hidden away and don't get the attention they deserve from people that might be interested in them if they ever came across them - and that feels against the spirit of what the GB database should be all about.

Well, that's my sentiment.  What should be done?  Given only a little thought I would suggest at the very least having some sort of 'random article' button such as Wikipedia has (maybe there too many competely empty pages that this would prove worthless?... a guess - but maybe it should include a minimum word limit fro what articles it shows).  However, many specific links would be better, which should probably change frequently.  So, for example, having each day: an "article of the day" (maybe hand-picked or via a fancy stat-tracking algorithm); 'upcoming article of the day'; 'recently popular'; 'interesting article you'd never normally read' .... you get the idea.  It only has to be a few links like unlike the many you had before, but I hope you GB staffers can find space for it on your front page since it is so much of what this site is about.  Reply also if for some reason you think this would be unnecessary.

To everyone else:  what do you think of this?  Do you agree?  If so, what do you think is the best way to link to the GB wiki pages from the front page?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By jakob187

Please don't double post.  We saw it the first time.  Thank you.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

If you want it to appear separately in the forums and in your blog, don't use the option to publish your blog to the forums. Just navigate away from the page after posting the blog.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Jensonb

Those homepage links to the Wiki are coming back, Snide is in the middle of redesigning that system.

Next question.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RagingLion

Ok, that's cool to know Jensonb - I'm happy now.  @ LordAndrew and jakob187 - that was my first time posting a blog so I didn't know about the system of blogs starting new forum topics - wasn't my intention to double post.  I know now - thanks.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, I figured you didn't know, which is why I told you how you can go about not doing it. :)

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ

Thanks for the info Jensonb. I was also bummed when the front page was changed, so I'm glad all that info will be back.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Hey, I told him that too! I just didn't repeat it because he has another thread in which I already told him.