Compare and Contrast: Xbone, PS4 releases to 360 and PS3

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By leebmx

I was originally going to post this in this thread but I thought it maybe deserved a thread of its own.

Reading that thread, I saw this comment,

Keep your chin up, and know that this isn't any different from the 360 and PS3 launch years. We always tell ourselves it will be different, but it's not.

which was trying to console the OP on his disappointment at the thin releases for this new generation.

I have just heard this mentioned a few times, so I decided to have a look and compare the two release schedules. I have looked at the games that could realistically be called good which were released by the end of 2006 (1 year after console release) for 360 and PS3 and compared them to this generations releases (bear in mind we have two consoles this time as well - PS3 launching 2006)

Xbox 360/Early PS3

Call of Duty 2

Need for Speed:Most Wanted

Condemmed

Tom Clancy Ghost Warfighter

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Dead Rising Need for Speed:Rivals hmmmm

Saints Row

Just Cause

Sims 2

Need for Speed Carbon hmmm

Final Fantasy XI

Rockstar Table Tennis

Hitman: Blood Money

Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Marvel Ultimate Aliance

Gears of War

Rainbow 6 Vegas

Call of Duty 3

Resistance:Fall of Man

Xbone/PS4

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Forza 5

AC4:Black Flag

Battlefield 4

Dead Rising 3

Killer Instinct

Killzone Shadow Fall

Ryse:Son of Rome

Metal Gear 5:Ground Zeroes

Infamous: Second Son

Titanfall

Wolfenstein

Watch Dogs

(ToCome) Alien Isolation, Battlefield: Hardline, Dragon Age:Inquisition, Evolve, Driveclub hmmmm, Evil Within, AC:Unity, Sunset Overdrive, Far Cry 4

So the amount of games coming out looks reasonably similar, a few more this time round, although there is a one more console to develop for this time around, so conceivably there should be more interesting games. But how many of the games are actually really good - games which will be regarded as classics in the future, or that do something innovative that sells the new generation?

To my mind this is where the previous generation really pulls ahead. Oblivion and Gears of War are games which will be talked about and played for a long time to come. There are also games like Need for Speed, Condemmed, Dead Rising, Just Cause, Hitman, Rainbow 6, Ghost Warfighter and we have the blossoming of the Call of Duty francise.

What does this generation offer us? Well there are some good games, people seem to like AC4, although it bored me, Battlefield is good once you get past the bugs Infamous and Ryse look very pretty and there are some other fun titles like Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs but nothing hits it out of the park like Oblivion or Gears. This is obviously a little unfair because we have yet to see what E3 has to offer and we don't know how this winter's thinned out roster of games will fair. We also have a good crop of indie and downloadable titles to enjoy, something that was still a year or two away in 2006.

So, what do you think? Personally I think gamers in 2006 would have been happier with their purchase of new consoles than we are this generation. I think the line-up in '06 is more interesting, innovative and of higher quality. Of course, there have been a number of games pushed back into 2015, and just because this generation has got off to a slow start does not mean it won't produce lots of goodness over the next 5-10 years.

Personally I think 2015 is shaping up to be one of the best years in gaming, even before we got to E3. However when people grumble about their PS4's or Xbone's gathering dust it might be worth having a closer look before repeating the slogan that all console first years are bad. This one seems particularly slow.

EDIT: Just realised I missed out Destiny and didn't consider Nintendo. Maybe that rebalances a little bit - I just can't get excited by Nintendo any more - if you can then maybe the picture is different?

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By onlineatron

just counting AAA it's a similar game. add in your smaller stuff like towerfall, transistor, super time force, sportsfriends, hohokum etc etc and i'd say this gen is already at an early lead

irks me to hear the gb crew bemoan this year in games and rarely consider all the great smaller stuff. even if that's not your thing, 2014 already looks packed with the likes of dragon age, driveclub, alien, destiny, sunset overdrive, ac: unity. nothing wrong with this year at all

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onlineatron: Yep Quantity wise it is about the same, I just think last gen was further ahead in terms of quality. The games this time around just seem a little bit shinier.

Obviously there are lots of very good smaller games, I just think that the reason people are getting a bit twitchy on forums etc is that there hasn't been something awe-inspiring that makes them have to have a new console. However I think 2015 will change that.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@leebmx: sure it's a preference but i've had a better time with transistor, sportsfriends, towerfall than i ever did with, say, gears of war

i bought a ps4 used, cheap, because i couldn't afford a pc build. so far i've been super happy with the steady stream of titles out for it. that i may get a few bigger, more processer heavy games for it down the line, well that's just icing on the cake :)

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Fearbeard

Yeah, personally I think the lineup is much better this time around. I bought my Xbox 360 about 6 months after launch and it wasn't until Dead Rising and Gears of War in the fall that I seriously started playing the system. Oblivion was a good early boost but at the time I was playing it on my PC.

The biggest problem is that first party exclusives are seriously lacking in the upcoming lineup. Xbox One is alright with Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 at least giving some variety but the PS4 only has Drive Club that I'm aware of as a 2014 release. Though if you look at the memorable exclusive series for Xbox 360 and PS3, very few were around at or around launch.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, personally I think the lineup is much better this time around. I bought my Xbox 360 about 6 months after launch and it wasn't until Dead Rising and Gears of War in the fall that I seriously started playing the system. Oblivion was a good early boost but at the time I was playing it on my PC.

The biggest problem is that first party exclusives are seriously lacking in the upcoming lineup. Xbox One is alright with Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 at least giving some variety but the PS4 only has Drive Club that I'm aware of as a 2014 release. Though if you look at the memorable exclusive series for Xbox 360 and PS3, very few were around at or around launch.

I just think that in 5 years time when we look back on this period in gaming compared to the opening of the last generation, there are more games for 360/PS3 which will reallly stick in the mind and I think that is what I am basing my feelings on.

However there isn't a great deal in it - I suppose I am still waiting for that game which makes me go 'That's why I bought this console,' Infamous comes close, but mostly just because it is so very very pretty.