Confusing Chronology Part 1 - The Legend of Zelda

MrPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By MrPickles

The Legend of Zelda's chronological order, though insignificant, is hotly debated among hardcore fans of the series. But realistically, though Nintendo slyly hints that all the games are somehow connected, I'm going to call bullshit on that one. There are maybe... 5 games in total in the series that actually follow some sort of order, so today, we shall look at those.

Before we get to anything, in my personal opinion, The Legend of Zelda, The Legend of Zelda II, Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess and most definately, the CDI games aren't part of the apparent chronology of the series, so there shall be no reference to them past this paragraph.

Alright the apparent order in the Zelda series looks like this:

Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask - The Wind Waker - Phantom Hourglass - Spirit Tracks

Now lets look at them. Ocarina of Time introduces a variety of trends into the series which would be referenced to throughout the other four games that follow chronologically. Making it the starting point in the series.

Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina in several ways. It carries on immediately after Ocarina of Time, with Link leaving Hyrule after defeating Ganondorf and traveling to the realm of Termina in search of a friend, (Possibly Navi, the fairy from OoT.)

The Wind Waker is the third game in this order. The introduction makes several references to the previous two games. Ganondorf once again plays a role as the major antagonist and the introduction references the events of Ocarina of Time as well as mentioning Link leaving to travel to Termina.

The Phantom Hourglass is the direct sequel to The Wind Waker. Both Link and Tetra (Zelda) sail off at the end of the game to explore the Great Sea, the flood-covered Hyrule from the WW.

Finally, Spirit Tracks takes place 100 years after the events of Phantom Hourglass, taking place on an island that Link and Tetra settled on their adventure. Making it the last game that can be organized chronologically in the Zelda series.

So what do you think? In my opinion, these are the only games in the series that have a semblance of Chronological order, but I'm interested in seeing how other people think as well.

MrPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MrPickles

The Legend of Zelda's chronological order, though insignificant, is hotly debated among hardcore fans of the series. But realistically, though Nintendo slyly hints that all the games are somehow connected, I'm going to call bullshit on that one. There are maybe... 5 games in total in the series that actually follow some sort of order, so today, we shall look at those.

Before we get to anything, in my personal opinion, The Legend of Zelda, The Legend of Zelda II, Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess and most definately, the CDI games aren't part of the apparent chronology of the series, so there shall be no reference to them past this paragraph.

Alright the apparent order in the Zelda series looks like this:

Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask - The Wind Waker - Phantom Hourglass - Spirit Tracks

Now lets look at them. Ocarina of Time introduces a variety of trends into the series which would be referenced to throughout the other four games that follow chronologically. Making it the starting point in the series.

Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina in several ways. It carries on immediately after Ocarina of Time, with Link leaving Hyrule after defeating Ganondorf and traveling to the realm of Termina in search of a friend, (Possibly Navi, the fairy from OoT.)

The Wind Waker is the third game in this order. The introduction makes several references to the previous two games. Ganondorf once again plays a role as the major antagonist and the introduction references the events of Ocarina of Time as well as mentioning Link leaving to travel to Termina.

The Phantom Hourglass is the direct sequel to The Wind Waker. Both Link and Tetra (Zelda) sail off at the end of the game to explore the Great Sea, the flood-covered Hyrule from the WW.

Finally, Spirit Tracks takes place 100 years after the events of Phantom Hourglass, taking place on an island that Link and Tetra settled on their adventure. Making it the last game that can be organized chronologically in the Zelda series.

So what do you think? In my opinion, these are the only games in the series that have a semblance of Chronological order, but I'm interested in seeing how other people think as well.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Bombs_Away
@MrPickles:
I'm not really into Zelda...but i've always been interested to know if their was any chronology or back story to it all. So are they only linked by the fact that they're in the same universe or is there an actual plot to it all?
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Nobody will ever find out the time line of Zelda. The main reason being is none exists.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By fuzzyponken

Well Zelda II is a direct sequel to the first one, and I assume A Link to the Past was intended as a prequel to those. Ocarina of Time screwed things up royally. Maybe it's a part of its own chronology, like your theory (of those you listed I've only played Ocarina of Time so I can't really comment).  
More than likely though, Ocarina of Time just screwed things up and there's no longer any order at all between the games, just common themes and stories that very loosely ties into each other. 

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#6  Edited By psykhophear
@MrKadaver: I've seen this one before and I agree with it. I'm not a huge Legend of Zelda fan but I think this is the closest explanation you can possibly find for an accurate Zelda timeline.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

Yeah, the whole Zelda timeline is weird, but at least it's actually seemingly set in the same world. Whereas with the FF games...oh boy. 

So, where do you think Darksiders is set? End of timeline A or B? =P
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Nasar7

I subscribe to the split timeline theory myself.

MrPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrPickles
@Nasar7 said:
" I subscribe to the split timeline theory myself. "
It's really the only theory that makes an ounce of sense.
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JoRoNimo

Yeah, I go by the split timeline theory as well. I place Twilight Princess in Timeline B following Ocarina but before WindWaker.