Congrats on the improvements in the Giant Bomb Quick Looks.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

I just wanted to congratulate the Giant Bomb crew in the overall improvement of their Quick Looks.  After laying the egg that was the Castlevania Judgment Quick Look (see my comments regarding that here), they've gotten substantially better for the most part.  I particularly like how, more often than not, whoever is demonstrating the game spends some time with it to learn the controls and mechanics before the video is filmed.  It makes the videos significantly more engaging and informative when the player demoing the game has a grasp on how to play it from the start.  The general tone of the Quick Looks also feels far less lethargic than in the Judgment video and the humor, when its there, tends to be snappier.

Good show, guys.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

I just wanted to congratulate the Giant Bomb crew in the overall improvement of their Quick Looks.  After laying the egg that was the Castlevania Judgment Quick Look (see my comments regarding that here), they've gotten substantially better for the most part.  I particularly like how, more often than not, whoever is demonstrating the game spends some time with it to learn the controls and mechanics before the video is filmed.  It makes the videos significantly more engaging and informative when the player demoing the game has a grasp on how to play it from the start.  The general tone of the Quick Looks also feels far less lethargic than in the Judgment video and the humor, when its there, tends to be snappier.

Good show, guys.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Personally I like quick looks being the first time they played the game. It made it a bit more personal, it made you feel like you are sharing the experience with the guys. Although sure are advantages to playing it first too. It's all down to personal preference really.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax
MattyFTM said:
"Personally I like quick looks being the first time they played the game. It made it a bit more personal, it made you feel like you are sharing the experience with the guys. Although sure are advantages to playing it first too. It's all down to personal preference really."
I like it better when it's their first time through. The comments are usually more humorous.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Endogene
natetodamax said:
"MattyFTM said:
"Personally I like quick looks being the first time they played the game. It made it a bit more personal, it made you feel like you are sharing the experience with the guys. Although sure are advantages to playing it first too. It's all down to personal preference really."
I like it better when it's their first time through. The comments are usually more humorous."
Perhaps but the information that the viewers get is useless and often misleading especially if the game does not get reviewed afterwards.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I've come to the like the quick looks just as much as the full reviews. I know the personalities involved, so I take from it what I will. Having played it or not, I don't care.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pazy

Tbh I dont come to Giant Bomb for balanced and insightful reviews (though I can get insightful reviews If I need them), what I really come for is the personality's. If I really need every detail of every game ive got a thousand websites and PR sheets to look at, but if I want to be entertained and get some helpful information on the way ive got Giant Bomb.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hailinel
Endogene said:
"natetodamax said:
"MattyFTM said:
I like it better when it's their first time through. The comments are usually more humorous."
Perhaps but the information that the viewers get is useless and often misleading especially if the game does not get reviewed afterwards. "
Personally, I watch most Quick Looks to see the game in action and hopefully get a feel for how it plays.  Humorous commentary comes second.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

I do like the Quick Looks for games like Ochenumbra (I might have f'ed that one up) because they are just so ridiculous and bad that you can't help but laugh along with the guys. Still, QL's for games like Killzone 2 and other games of that sort are best when they already mastered the basics, but play a mission for the first time because it lends to more humorous situations. All in all, the feature is great.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

While I agree, I still like the games that are played simply to be mocked ethos that comes through the CastleVania: Judgment and B-Boy ones.

NickNorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By NickNorman
RHCPfan24 said:
"I do like the Quick Looks for games like Ochenumbra (I might have f'ed that one up) because they are just so ridiculous and bad that you can't help but laugh along with the guys. Still, QL's for games like Killzone 2 and other games of that sort are best when they already mastered the basics, but play a mission for the first time because it lends to more humorous situations. All in all, the feature is great."
Definitely. Stuff like Onechanbara and the more recent Dragon Ball: Evolution are probably not the most high-quality or deepest games out there, so their Quick Looks tend to be a lot funnier. More high profile games are better after a quick rundown of the controls.