Connect multiple consoles with minimal inputs?

Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I was just wondering if some of you collectors with multiple consoles could give me some tips on how you handle your connections.

I want to connect a PS4, PS3, PS2, XBOX 360, and cable box all through HDMI to a TV with only three HDMI inputs. Obviously, I need an HDMI splitter, but I can't seem to find a reliable one.

As a bonus, I would like to connect a Wii and a PS2 to the same tv through component with only one component input.

Any ideas?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I will help as best as possible.

My friend has a receiver that acts as both his surround sound for gaming as well as having its own channel of HDMI inputs. I forgot what brand is it but I believe most receivers should be able to have multiple HDMI inputs and channel switching. One should at least carry a couple so you can use the rest for the other TV's HDMI inputs.

I wouldn't be surprised if receivers still carry component, or at least composite. Expect some latency especially for the Wii and PS2 even in component. If you have a couple of bucks, go for an upscaler/line doubler like the Micomsoft Framemeister.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By GERALTITUDE

First of all, welcome to the beautiful world of console vs TV problem solving.

Finding a good HDMI splitter should be a non-issue. I have nearly the *exact* same setup you described and I did it like so originaly (see below for my new, non-splitting tips). @thephantomnaut is right that the Framemeister is the best bet for old consoles but frankly it is insanely expensive (400-500+) and for most people the difference is negligible. It makes a way bigger difference PS1 and previous consoles anyway imo.

When you say Cable Box, what do you mean? Is that an HDMI or what (not a *real* cable, is it?)

Need

1 HDMI Splitter

1 Component Splitter

SPLITTER 1 - direct to 1 of your HDMIs

• PS4
  • PS3
  • Cable Box if it's HDMI

Variant: Wire your most used items direct to the TV and save 1 HDMI slot for your splitter.

SPLITTER 2 - direct to 1 of your Components

• PS2
  • Wii

There really isn't very much to this. Just spend more ~30-50 bucks on your splitters and you should be more than fine. That said, consider:

I don't use splitters anymore because my cable setup is rock solid. Most splitters don't use remotes unless you are willing to pay more. And since they don't use remotes you need to get up and switch the input anyways. If your cables are easy enough to access this becomes a very redundant action.

I have 4 displays in my office that are shared randomly, at any time, by a PC, PS4, PS3, DreamCast, GC and PS2. There are two sound systems as well. There is another room but we'll save that for another day! All of these machines can be effortlessly swapped around because my cables are all well organized. They aren't tangled and they are still hidden from view.

For example, you said your TV has 3 HDMI inputs. You only have 4 HDMI devices. Is it worth it to split for the 1 extra (consider Lag, which will be a bigger or smaller issue depending on your display/splitter)? Same goes for your component problem. What if both your component cables were hanging next to the back of the TV, were labelled with their devices, and were neat and tidy! What do you need to do this? Color coded Zip Ties, and some sticker labels, or folded over post-it notes. ~10 buckaroos.

So I dunno! Consider if you can achieve what you want by being physically organized rather than via technology. Depends on your space, budget and dreams for the future :)

Good luck Duder!

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What I would do (and have done) is much like Geraltitude has mentioned - an inexpensive HDMI splitter and component splitter setup. I think it's worth doing for your devices even though you are only trying to put 4 into a TV with 3 inputs because you then free up the other two for other devices later . I sometimes like to put game systems on the HDMI splitter and run other AV devices like a cable box in on its own dedicated TV input (unless it turns out to be a pain in the butt).

I use a little 3-HDMI autosensing splitter (they are all over ebay/amazon for just a few bucks) - it senses when a device is turned on and switches to it automatically, but also has a little remote in case something funny happens or you have two things on and are switching back and forth manually. (I assume a component switcher will be similarly inexpensive but will likely require you to press a button to swap inputs.)

Do be aware, though - I had some issues with some autosensing HDMI splitters when running devices into it that have a low power/standby mode; some devices will not power down to a point that the switch would be able to sense it is "off" and bump over to another input (even if I turned another device on). In my case it was a BluRay home theatre in a box that had a "quick on/standby" option. Not a huge deal, but annoying. In any case, the investment is very small. (FYI, my switcher has had no issues with the PS4 rest mode in terms of the auto-switching)

Here's a photo of my little 3-input splitter. The cord with the little bauble is the IR receiver for the remote. It currently runs a PS4, WD-TV Live, and PC HDMI output into my TV. Works like a charm, and I've had it for several years now.

No Caption Provided

I hope this is helpful.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I use this splitter for my PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Wii U. I use this splitter for my Roku 3, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire. Both are connected to my receiver, along with a Blu-ray player, DVR, and HTPC. I suggest opting for splitters that have a power supply and use it. They can work without the power supply, but they can be flaky without one.