#1 Posted by Lukeweizer (2708 posts) -
#2 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

why not just play the PS3 version?

#3 Posted by believer258 (11995 posts) -

Uh... are you sure they weren't using a different brand of 360 controllers or ones specially made for fighting (or just plain 2D) games?

#4 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

huh,

that device looks really interesting, its the end of this generation though, would've definitely messed with one of those.

#5 Posted by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

I still don't get why people use d-pads for fighting games. I never really understood the whole "360 is bad for fighting games cuz d-pad" argument because it's way more efficient to use the stick anyway. That's kind of why fight sticks and arcade sticks are... sticks.

#6 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I still don't get why people use d-pads for fighting games. I never really understood the whole "360 is bad for fighting games cuz d-pad" argument because it's way more efficient to use the stick anyway. That's kind of why fight sticks and arcade sticks are... sticks.

Some people do for games that aren't quarter circles but instead a down-then-forward motion, like Mortal Kombat. Some people like myself find it's easier to get precision for games like that on a d-pad.

#7 Edited by Damodar (1428 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

If that was true, wouldn't things like the madcatz and PDP fightpads have analog sticks? From the similarities between the 4 micro switch set up in a fight stick and the four contacts of a hat switch to the inherent accuracy of both versus the non binary circular gated analog stick, etc there is a better functional similarity between arcade sticks and dpads than arcade sticks and analog sticks. I think analog sticks really lack the precision and feedback you require for any fighting game worth its salt. It's pretty obvious where down-back is on a standard fight stick. You hear and feel the click of the switches and end up in the corner of the gate. It's not exactly easy to know where down becomes down-back on an analog stick. Maybe the thumbstick on the N64 would be ok, since it is octagonally gated, but anything else, not really.

Also, the 360 controller is teeeeeeeeerrible for fighting games. Cuz dpad.